Why become a member? ×

Reverb?

Newfoundfreedom

Do bass players use reverb? 

I've been looking at the pedal board thread and there's barely a reverb pedal in sight (unless hidden within a multi effects pedal).

Also many guitar amps come with a built in reverb control, again not so with bass.

Why not? 

Is it a bass sin to use it?

I love a bit of reverb me. 

Likewise, I'm astounded by how few bass players and guitarists use a bit of reverb, very underrated effect IMO.

Always have a touch of reverb on my bass, love it, it fills the sound out that little bit more and adds to the "ambience".

I do use a multi effects pedal (Line6 HD500x), so it's easy to add in, and like I said, it's always on.

More reverb!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Likewise, I'm astounded by how few bass players and guitarists use a bit of reverb, very underrated effect IMO.

Always have a touch of reverb on my bass, love it, it fills the sound out that little bit more and adds to the "ambience".

I do use a multi effects pedal (Line6 HD500x), so it's easy to add in, and like I said, it's always on.

More reverb!

Totally agree. I have a line 6 M13 and one whole row is taken up by varying levels of reverb. Ranging from subtle which is always on to "fatten" the sound, to full on echo for a more Vintage 50's or upright bass kind of sound. I love it!

3 minutes ago, itu said:

Try a little bit of reverb with fuzz...

My choice is Iron Ether Nimbus. It has LPF and HPF for reverb so it does not mud the sound at all. Very bass driven design. You may find one from Taylor himself or in Europe from: https://www.effekt-boutique.de/iron-ether/

Thanks. But fuzz or any kind of distortion on bass is really not my kind of thing. My personal preference is a good clean sound. 

Love reverb. I haven't used it live but at hoe through headphones it gives a real ambiance like you say, and fattens up the groove. It also pairs really well with synth bass, leading to some really cool sounds. 

With my mini bass (avatar) I tend to assign reverb mix to the knob on the bass and when playing solo it makes for a really warm and 'full' sound. 

It took me a while to realise what it was that made some slap bass samples i heard sound so good - I can't remember who they were but IIRC it was an online library of bass sounds I used to listen to now and then. One of them, I think it was a Celinder jazz bass, had a touch of reverb and it sounded great - I didn't have a reverb pedal at the time but as soon as I had one I was thinking this is what I was missing - now it sounds weird playing without it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Do bass players use reverb? 

I've been looking at the pedal board thread and there's barely a reverb pedal in sight (unless hidden within a multi effects pedal).

Also many guitar amps come with a built in reverb control, again not so with bass.

Why not? 

Is it a bass sin to use it?

I love a bit of reverb me. 

I don't use it but I should try, seems good for gloomy atmospheric stuff :biggrin:

Edited by oZZma

12 minutes ago, oZZma said:

I don't use it but I should try, seems good for gloomy atmospheric stuff :biggrin:

I have to say I use reverb exactly like that, when I experiment with sound and atmospheric textures.

I have never thought of using it (in lower doses) as an always on effect, I will try that.

• Like 1

I love having a bit of reverb. Got both a hall of fame 2 and an earthquake master dispatch. 

I find the master dispatch has a much nicer, rounded reverb but love playing with the hall of fame 2 shimmer and mash effects. Iv started a few gigs and songs by starting with the shimmer. 

• Like 1