Why become a member? ×

NAD: Ampeg SVT Classic

stewblack

I've been looking at a few different valve options recently. Happy as I am with the various heads at my disposal, I got badly bitten when my bass tutor let me plug into his Ampeg a little while ago. It got hold of something inside me and would not let go.

So I decided to sell some gear and put the cash towards a valve amp. See what all the fuss was really about.

Then the svt classic came up here and I bought it with money I don't have thinking I could sell it on if I didn't like it or keep it and recoup the cash by selling other stuff later.

Tonight I hauled it into the rehearsal room, terrified I'd do something wrong and break it. Hooked up to two BF cabs (15 and a 10), let it warm up, plugged in and proceeded to Richard around with the controls.

What did I learn about my new amp this evening?

1: Don't waste time dicking around with tone controls, just leave it flat,

2: Ignore first impressions formed while playing to an empty room.

3: Wait till the thing is nice and warm and you're playing in context, i.e. with the rest of the band. Then make your judgement.

4: while it may be true that new gear can't improve your playing it can certainly make a massive difference. I heard parts I'd thought I didn't play that well and they sounded like someone else, someone better than me, was playing them. Every note was beautifully articulated.

5: Even though I wasn't playing at massively high levels the sound filled the room and yet sat perfectly, beautifully in the mix. It was actually quite spooky how clear I heard every nuance of what I played and yet had a warm fat tone.

6: I'm going to be selling some very nice amps very soon.

7: I should have known these amps were absolutely amazing before trying one. After all, why would anyone put themselves through carrying something marginally heavier than the sun if it didn't sound awesome?

8: I'm in love. I'm a valve convert. I'm so very very happy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Awesome heads.

I played one for a few years... i always found it to be a little bass heavy (obviously dependent on the style of music you play) i used to roll the bass back to a quarter, bump the mids and high a little, freq selector in the middle with the ultra's engaged then i was in tone heaven 🙂 ( never been able to fully replicate that sound)

Totally agree on letting the thing fully warm up to get the best , plus i always left it in standby for 5-10 mins before switching off.

good on you :-).......just wish i could put up with the weight again

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure that @stewblacks post is spot on to the reasons why I’ve never bought an SVT as am sure I’d find most amps afterwards, well not quite so good, shall we say.

Ive used them in the past at gigs and really like how solid and big the sound is. The only other amps that have slammed like that have been Ashdown ABMs, so I went that route - well I can lift those, after all.

I think ive said it before, but i was a late comer to gigging, and before that used to watch lots of bands, and semi pro tribute bands etc.

The ONLY time I was literally blown away by the bass sound was when one 3 piece had a bassist with an all valve fender bassman rig, and a small covers band had an ampeg svt and cab.

You cant describe what it is - thickness, warmth, richness - i dont know - but im still envious of those sounds now - 20 years on!

Unfortunately several back injurys including a prolapsed disc put pay to my valve ambitions (although i was still tempted recently by those ampeg heads). 

I got rid of all my heavy cabs due to back issues but I have to find a way to keep this amp.

My singer described it as "flooding the whole band sound with warmth. Like pouring melted chocolate over a dessert. It touches everything and everything it touches is enhanced by it"

1 hour ago, grenadillabama said:

Do you like Ampeg speakers also ? I wonder about the 810 SVT and the Ashdown ABM 810. Which would you choose , assuming you could move it ?

I have no experience of the Ampeg cabs. Well, I've heard others playing through them and they sound awesome but not tried them or the Ashdown myself. I used to play through an 810 all the time, it was an Eden and it sounded just fine to me. However now I've used Barefaced I doubt I'll ever go back to heavy cabs.