Why become a member? ×

Jaco’s Donna Lee as you’ve probably never heard it before.

ianrendall

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

How so..? Would you care to expand..? :/

I suppose so, at the risk of being unpopular. 

Firstly, until a few months ago, when I discovered Scott Devine's instructional videos on YouTube, I'd never even heard of Jaco, so I had to look him up on YouTube to see what Scott's massive man crush was all about. 

I have to say I've never heard so much pretentious, noodling noise pollution in my life. I just don't get it, and I don't think I ever will. That's not to deny he's a good (some would say great) bass player. I suppose if it's your kind of thing then that's great. That's what I meant about living on a different planet. If that's your kind of thing I just can't relate to it at all. 

Someone vocally scatting the bass line certainly does nothing to improve it to my ear. I only managed to stand about 20 seconds of it. Rather than "captivating" as described in the original post, I found it unbearably irritating. I think I'd rather listen to roadworks. 

Again if that's your kind of thing then great, but again I may as well be on another planet. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

...I may as well be on another planet. 

OK, I get your drift. In that sense, we're all in our own microcosms, with individual likes, tastes and experiences, which often evolve as we come across different stuff. No qualms with that, and I share your views, but on other genres. For me, it's funk, disco, head-banging and punk that I can't understand nor abide, or not for long. I don't dance (two left feet like breeze blocks; worse than Mrs May...), so EDM leaves me cold. Don't feel isolated, then, but rather rejoice in being exactly the same as everyone else, in that you're different, as different as are we all. B|
No, I don't think I'd like to swap planets, though. I'll carry on listening to Jaco (and much more, of course...). Schubert..? Any taste for Schubert..? No..? Oh well; never mind. :)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I suppose so, at the risk of being unpopular. 

Firstly, until a few months ago, when I discovered Scott Devine's instructional videos on YouTube, I'd never even heard of Jaco, so I had to look him up on YouTube to see what Scott's massive man crush was all about. 

I have to say I've never heard so much pretentious, noodling noise pollution in my life. I just don't get it, and I don't think I ever will. That's not to deny he's a good (some would say great) bass player. I suppose if it's your kind of thing then that's great. That's what I meant about living on a different planet. If that's your kind of thing I just can't relate to it at all. 

Someone vocally scatting the bass line certainly does nothing to improve it to my ear. I only managed to stand about 20 seconds of it. Rather than "captivating" as described in the original post, I found it unbearably irritating. I think I'd rather listen to roadworks. 

Again if that's your kind of thing then great, but again I may as well be on another planet. 

I think I might have meant it was captivating from the bizarre and odd angle. It’s not my thing at all as I’m not one for noodling. It was just so unusual that I thought I’d share it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianrendall said:

This is the same girl. I think excellent vocal control but admittedly some of it sounds like someone’s pulled on the cats tail. Worth a watch for the facial expressions alone. Lovely guitar too. 

Oh God!

Help! I'm in my own personal music Hell!

The reason they pull those faces is because it's self gratifying musical masturbation that should only ever be done in private.  😂

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Not Everybody Likes The Same Stuff. Blimey, stop the presses. :lol:

It's kind of beyond that. 

I don't "like" brass bands but I can easily stand in front of one and enjoy the music. The same can be said of orchestral, classical, and many other genres. I've even been know to indulge in a bit of musical theatre. I get that everyone has different tastes. But the point I was trying to make is, when it comes to Jazz I just don't get it. It's not even that I don't like it per se. I just don't understand it. Maybe I'm lacking a brain cell or two but it just doesn't sound at all musical to me. I just don't get what's appealing about it. I accept that there must be some appeal because it has such a large following. I honestly don't understand what other people are hearing that I'm not. It's more akin to flavour I suppose. I can't stand fish. To me it just tastes rank. But I accept that other people love it. Even though I accept it, I just don't understand how someone can like something that tastes like that. I'm kind of the same with Jazz. 

18 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Help! I'm in my own personal music Hell!

'Agua De Beber' is a Jobim standard that's been covered so many times - I think she's slightly over egging it here, and the last note/notes are a bit  - err  - microtonal.

This may not be everybody's cup of tea, Newfoundfreedom, but maybe you'd  have to understand it in relation to the booming Latin scene of the early 60's.      *Gets out musical history books*

And maybe to understand 'Jazz' you have to try to learn the language a bit - otherwise it's like listening to poetry in another language - you get an idea of what's going on by the meter, but can't 'hear' what they're saying.

You could try listening to Jaco's 'Donna Lee' again and don't think of it as random bass notes, think of it as an expressive language which you might like to learn ?

Sorry if this sounds a bit pretentious, but it's the best explanation I can come up with.

And at the end of the day, just listen to whatever you like that makes you happy !

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

'Agua De Beber' is a Jobim standard that's been covered so many times - I think she's slightly over egging it here, and the last note/notes are a bit  - err  - microtonal.

This may not be everybody's cup of tea, Newfoundfreedom, but maybe you'd  have to understand it in relation to the booming Latin scene of the early 60's.      *Gets out musical history books*

And maybe to understand 'Jazz' you have to try to learn the language a bit - otherwise it's like listening to poetry in another language - you get an idea of what's going on by the meter, but can't 'hear' what they're saying.

You could try listening to Jaco's 'Donna Lee' again and don't think of it as random bass notes, think of it as an expressive language which you might like to learn ?

Sorry if this sounds a bit pretentious, but it's the best explanation I can come up with.

And at the end of the day, just listen to whatever you like that makes you happy !

Thanks.

I get what you're saying, but to me enjoying listening to music shouldn't be that much hard work. If you have to study it to appreciate it then to be honest I'm not really interested. There's a whole world of music out there, whatever you're into, that you can enjoy right off the bat. Probably a failing on my part and I accept I might be missing out on something, but I can live with it. 

Ummm... has it occurred to you to not listen to any more of it and save yerself and the rest of us a bit of time? Specifically, having listened to the first one and having expressed your dislike of it so candidly and at such length, why would you put yourself through the torture of listening to more of it? And then coming back here to complain about it... again?

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Ummm... has it occurred to you to not listen to any more of it and save yerself and the rest of us a bit of time? Specifically, having listened to the first one and having expressed your dislike of it so candidly and at such length, why would you put yourself through the torture of listening to more of it? And then coming back here to complain about it... again?

Sorry. My mistake. I humbly and profusely apologise. I actually thought it was a forum where discussions take place and people exchange opinions and ideas. Maybe I was wrong and I shouldn't bother in future? Also I don't recall complaining about anything. My comment on the second post was meant to be light-hearted and humorous, but I guess you understand humour about as much as you understand the purposes of a public forum. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It's kind of beyond that. 

I don't "like" brass bands but I can easily stand in front of one and enjoy the music. The same can be said of orchestral, classical, and many other genres. I've even been know to indulge in a bit of musical theatre. I get that everyone has different tastes. But the point I was trying to make is, when it comes to Jazz I just don't get it. It's not even that I don't like it per se. I just don't understand it. Maybe I'm lacking a brain cell or two but it just doesn't sound at all musical to me. I just don't get what's appealing about it. I accept that there must be some appeal because it has such a large following. I honestly don't understand what other people are hearing that I'm not. It's more akin to flavour I suppose. I can't stand fish. To me it just tastes rank. But I accept that other people love it. Even though I accept it, I just don't understand how someone can like something that tastes like that. I'm kind of the same with Jazz. 

Ok, I'll rephrase it. Not Everybody 'Gets' The Same Stuff. Not Everybody 'Understands' The Same Stuff. See?

There's nothing wrong with you and you're not on a different planet. It's just that some people like something that you don't. If you don't like it, just stop listening to it and move on. 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I guess you understand humour about as much as you understand the purposes of a public forum. 

Nice going. No, really: a truly astute observation.

Since I've been a member here for around 10 years I think I'll pull rank and make the observation that I have a pretty good idea what a public forum is for thanks for asking.

As regards my sense of humour, well I've had a look and that seems to be in pretty good fettle too. Good of you to ask about that too though.

While I'm here:

1. Based on your stated opinion I simply offered a suggestion. Seeing it any other way is simply wrong 'cos it just ain't so. Unless of course you just wanted to spout off about it for the good of the assembled throng, in which case spout away mi amigo. 🙂

2. In the spirit of lightweight discussion, I would respectfully suggest that you might care to lighten up a touch. Just a thought...

Have a nice day. 🙂

4 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Sorry. My mistake. I humbly and profusely apologise. I actually thought it was a forum where discussions take place and people exchange opinions and ideas. Maybe I was wrong and I shouldn't bother in future? Also I don't recall complaining about anything. My comment on the second post was meant to be light-hearted and humorous, but I guess you understand humour about as much as you understand the purposes of a public forum. 

Are you expressing an opinion or stating it as if it is fact? Also the fact you’re being quite aggressive about it doesn’t help, does it?

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Are you expressing an opinion or stating it as if it is fact? Also the fact you’re being quite aggressive about it doesn’t help, does it?

If you think that anything I've said is in any way aggressive then you've really led an extremely sheltered life.

But hey ho. I give in. I really can't be ar5ed with keyboard warriors with nothing better to do than cause arguements because they don't agree with someone else's opinion. Life's too short. 

I'm out.

Peace.