Why become a member? ×

Anyone got a Mattisson in the U.K.?

Bassislife16

34 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Not tried one but both Henrik Linder and Janek Gwizdala are Mattison players...which is a serious endorsement! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on the used market though - where are you looking??

Yes, I wonder why Janek moved from his Fodera. I guess money perhaps?

Janek has said there is very little money in having a signature bass. But even if there was, surely Fodera would have the bigger wallet than Mattisson! I think he just fell in love with the company after spending quite a bit of time hanging around with Henrik Linder and after getting to know the man behind Mattisson decided that was the direction he wanted to go in. I think Janek still loves his Foderas but has just decided to move on.

1 minute ago, therealting said:

He said he wanted to be involved in making instruments that were accessible to more players. Foderas are of course fairly exclusive.

Does anyone have any idea of the price point on these "affordable" versions?
To get a bass like Henrik Linder, you'd need to cough up nearly $10,000!

They do seem to be talking about two levels of these signature basses now, but I've never seen any commitment to pricing anywhere...

Eude

3 minutes ago, knicknack said:

@eude from what he said on the NAMM videos it was around $7k on the masterbuilt and $5k for the factory made versions of his 5 string, and around $2k for the new double cut... affordable is a vague word! 

I guess it's affordable by comparison, the full on custom Foderas where near $12,000 as far as I remember.
I can accept they're cheaper, but still out of reach for most folks, and seriously niche too.

I certainly wouldn't put my money down for one, but fair play to Janek for at least trying to make these things more accessible, whether he's achieved that I guess will pan out over time.

Eude

1 hour ago, eude said:

Does anyone have any idea of the price point on these "affordable" versions?
To get a bass like Henrik Linder, you'd need to cough up nearly $10,000!

They do seem to be talking about two levels of these signature basses now, but I've never seen any commitment to pricing anywhere...

Eude

All made in Sweden however, Masterbuilt are exclusively made by Anders and the production are team built 

40 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

All made in Sweden however, Masterbuilt are exclusively made by Anders and the production are team built 

That's technically a leg up on the Fodera's then, as they're all technically 'team built'...

• Like 1

I happen to currently have a 6-string Series 2 "Fatboy" which I got in a trade, since I was curious to try one, and even here they're rare  (based in Tokyo, so not the UK). This is the model Henrik Linder used before getting his single-cut signature model (I think the tracks "Baby" and "Hit Me" were recorded on this variant - or at least so the videos would suggest). Standard straight frets, not true-temperament. 

Impressions: neck feels a little chunky (e.g. a Roscoe 6-string is thinner/flatter, or say a Greg Curbow 6),  but it's subtly asymmetric. The "FatBoy" body is rather thick, and the finish is a bit rougher than most other boutique instruments in the same price range (e.g. Fodera / Freedom CGR). Yet - the action is super low, no buzz, and bass plays effortlessly - the asymmetric neck is very comfy and fast. 

So - when taken out of the case it first feels a little bit like a tractor - when played, it feels like a an F1 racing shell. A little confusing, but in the best possible way. Given the large body and prominent headstock, it doesn't look like shorter-than-usual scale, but I've found the 33" scale very comfy. 

Any other questions - feel free to ask or DM me :)  (and sadly, no, I don't have the stones to provide public playing samples, on a bass where the only other comparison is Henrik Linder - sorry guys... )

Edited by kumimajava
  • Thanks 1

They’ve just released two new models at NAMM I think. Janek has been plugging them both regularly, not sure if they’re both signature models? The triple p pickup one and the 5 string singlecut he’s been using for a while in his videos. 

13 minutes ago, Dazed said:

They’ve just released two new models at NAMM I think. Janek has been plugging them both regularly, not sure if they’re both signature models? The triple p pickup one and the 5 string singlecut he’s been using for a while in his videos. 

He told me over Instagram the triple P signature will be “sub $2000” so we’ll see!

11 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Probably equates to £2k once they land here. Wonder if they’ll all have the relic finish......

Think the 'cheapest' version is to be flat matte black, he confirmed. The relic was to be an option on the more expensive model. 

1 hour ago, M@23 said:

Think the 'cheapest' version is to be flat matte black, he confirmed. The relic was to be an option on the more expensive model. 

He said in a YouTube video that the relic finish would be available as a limited run part of the Masterbuilt series