Why become a member? ×

How do you practice?

AndyBob09

I dont practice as such. I learn new, to me, covers to play in the band, or compose my own songs and bass lines. Doing so makes me play lines and techniques I would not normally employ. I cant stand regimented routines or structured plans/lessons, I had enough of that at school. For me music is freedom from all that. If I don't enjoy something I don't do It. If I were a pro session musician I would have to "Practice", but the very thought of having to play what I am told too is my idea of hell. I love music so I wont do anything that spoils my enjoyment of it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AndyBob09 said:

As the title suggests, how do you practice? Share your practice routine. 

Usually last minute! I always intend to practice as soon as I'm made aware of new material, but suffer from the "I've got ages yet" syndrome, then before I know it, the gig/rehearsal is tomorrow. Then it's 24 hours of madness. 

Of course there are times when, once I have established song/key/version, I'll listen to said version, write down the arrangement & chord chart/notation & set time aside to play through on my bass until I no longer need said paperwork. I'll then play it through standing up, & in a variety of rock poses/lunges.

This 2nd approach is usually over a period of time way prior to the gig/rehearsal/recording and is far less stressful than the former.

However, I am unable to remember this, and so revert to 1st approach more often than not 🤨

Headphones only for me at home. Sitting on my bed with bass and ipad plugged in to either my Zoom B1-on or my pedal board that has my Spectradrive at the end which has 1/8th aux in and headphone out.

I tend to just browse through YT when i get bored and learn new songs, even though ive probably sat down to learn band songs.

I don't practice as much as i should but when i do, i like a routine.

Some scales to warm up, then a quick whizz through songs or bits of songs i already know, particularly ones that give my fingers a work out. Then i play 'Ruby' because i adore it, then it's onto whatever I'm learning at the time. If I'm not learning anything new, I'll just play some or all of the setlist.

I should do this every day, but i don't. I try to do it at least a couple of times a week if I can - other times I just pick up the bass and noodle...

I do a 5-10 minutes warm up, just noodling or messing about with pedals and sounds. Then around 20-40 minutes on new stuff for the two bands or just something that 8nterestes me on the rare occasions there isn’t anything new to learn. Then another 20 minutes on songs on the sets to keep them fresh. I do that at least 6 nights a week but usually 7. I have only been playing a couple of years though so still learning.

All of the above!  Get song... Watch.... Learn.... Note... Play until don't need notes.  Always take notes with me to rehearsal or gig tho... Just in case I get a block! Lol. 

I have a 'special' room.  ( Where we dry clothes!). 

As T-Bay says - first, warm up with some noodling & stretching exercises
Then for me, it depends on what I'm playing or which band I need to rehearse stuff for

Sometimes I play along with my MP3 player, bass and MP3 plugged into my Vox Bass Amphones
If I need to, or fancy playing along to songs on YouTube, I often use my little Roland Micro bass amp (not too loud and neighbour annoying)

A day or two before a big gig, I usually run through a whole set, aside from songs I know really well
If I made any mistakes on songs, I then usually go back over them, or any relatively tricky bits if the song

Edited by Marc S

Mainly sit in front of Youtube listening to the songs I need to learn/keep on top of for my covers band (rock/pop). Have a mooch around at a scales or technique video and then also learn a tune or two from a different genre to keep things fresh. Yesterday's was Jack Your Body by Steve Silk Hurley. Think I'll have some Motown tonight.

59 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I have only been playing a couple of years though so still learning.

It sounds like you have a pretty good practice routine.

You will always be learning, at least you should be, and that's a good thing. I started playing when I was 14 and was gigging at 16 and I'll be 73 this year and I try to play every day and I'm having fun! I gig and rehearse with two bands and I learn something every time I play.I have several hundred songs from the two jazz bands to work on, lots of method books and a big collection of music including some classical stuff and I work on something new every time I play.Most of the musicians I play with are very skilled and experienced and I have to work hard to get close to their level.

That's one of the great things about music-there is always something new and different to work on.If you're bored with your practice routine you can always find something challenging to learn.

I played a gig yesterday and now I'm going to go over a few of the bits where I wasn't happy with my playing, I will try a few new bass lines and see if I can figure out better fingering, always a challenge on DB. 

Like everyone else I have had my share of difficulties in life but music has certainly helped me cope and given me great pleasure.As I have said before on here,  we are so lucky that we have music in our lives and get to make music with others or perhaps just for ourselves.

Didn't mean to go on so long, time to play some bass.😄

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Can someone explain to me what the point is of learning to play scales?

From a personal point of view it gave me a better appreciation of the inter-relationship of the available notes on the bass and how to better understand how basslines in popular covers songs were constructed.  Your mileage may differ......

Do I practice on scales - no.

Edited by martthebass

8 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Why?

People do so for many different reasons. 

So what are they?

IME practicing playing scales just means that I am good at playing scales. It doesn't make playing actual musical pieces any easier for me, and therefore I can't see the point.

2 minutes ago, martthebass said:

From a personal point of view it gave me a better appreciation of the inter-relationship of the available notes on the bass and how to better understand how basslines in popular covers songs were constructed.  Your mileage may differ......

Just now, martthebass said:

I gave you my two...but we're all different.

Your post came while I was just posting mine. I already known where the notes are on the fretboard, but for me how I would play them in a scale and how I would play the notes I want from that scale in a piece of music are two entirely different things.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Your post came while I was just posting mine. I already known where the notes are on the fretboard, but for me how I would play them in a scale and how I would play the notes I want from that scale in a piece of music are two entirely different things.

So, it's a personal thing.  Some people perceive a benefit (e.g. me), some do not (you).  You can know all the notes on the fretboard without them meaning much if the relationships are not well known - without the relationships they are just letters, IMHO.

• Like 1

I practice by playing along with the originals of songs that are new to the set list until I get them right. Today I was working on Estimated Profit, a jolly little ditty in 7/8 which I am finally getting my head around.

When we have a rehearsal or gig coming up, I'll play through the set list every day for a week or so and work on any weak areas I find. 

We only play material from one band, but they ad a vast repertoire, and I have a small memory!