Why become a member? ×

Please recommend a good Relic Service

thebrig

2 minutes ago, Conan said:

Don't the Nate Mendel signature P basses have a J neck? Another cheaper possible solution... They get very good reviews too :sun_bespectacled:

I think the Nate Mendel has a 41.02 nut, it also has a 7.25" fingerboard radius which I find too curved for me 😒

• Like 1

2 hours ago, therealting said:

If you’re looking for someone to do relicing, this guy does some cool work.

https://www.instagram.com/relicartguitares

His work looks first class but from what I can gather, you have to send your instrument to France so he can relic it, and I guess the paint has to be nitro.

I went onto his website and clicked the English version but it still isn't very clear. 🤔

37 minutes ago, therealting said:

It is nitro. I’ve never seen a poly relic job that looks convincing to me. 

That's right, and to be quite honest, if I had a bass thats finished in nitro then it would wear naturally after plenty of playing anyway

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bassmachine2112 said:

Hiho go out and gig at least twice a week for a few years and it,ll be right

At the age of 67, I think I'll be well gone before my bass with a poly finish will start to look aged 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.3c9252116f484f7a023f581927d3d6a9.JPG

I must have been lucky I'd already had a couple of LImelight basses when I saw this on Marks website , was a special build he'd done , I had spoken to him before about a sunburst relic but he had always said it was very difficult to do.

Probably a bit too heavily relic' d for some people but I like it and it plays beautifully 

Cheers Steve

3 hours ago, peety said:

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.3c9252116f484f7a023f581927d3d6a9.JPG

I must have been lucky I'd already had a couple of LImelight basses when I saw this on Marks website , was a special build he'd done , I had spoken to him before about a sunburst relic but he had always said it was very difficult to do.

Probably a bit too heavily relic' d for some people but I like it and it plays beautifully 

Cheers Steve

Yes, I saw your bass on his website and drew his attention to it, I also showed him this one which was also on his website which would have been the sort of relic that I wanted.

1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this page on Facebook. Guitars come out at roughly £300-500 and there was a bass on the Facebook page. Worth getting in touch to see if he can do what you're looking for. 

http://dyguitars.yolasite.com

No idea what components he's using but if they are good quality I could be interested too

Edited by BassApprentice

Each to their own, but I still don't understand it.

Might as well tow it behind your car for a mile or two and then rub it down with wire wool and T Cut.

A real honest old guitar is dripping with mojo and every bump and scratch has a story to tell. Still, just like plastic surgeons, there's always a customer who loves getting rid of money.

Oh, must go, just got to pick up my Porsche. Got a guy to put rust patches, holes and fade the paint and crush both front wings in. I'll be proud as anything driving that down the road just as it is.......oh yeah.......

• Haha 1