Why become a member? ×

Please recommend a good Relic Service

thebrig

I want a heavily relic'ed precision bass in sunburst, I contacted Mark at Limelight, but he says he doesn't do sunburst because they are too time consuming.

So can anyone recommend a luthier or company that could do a really good job for me at a reasonable price?

Edited by thebrig

2 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I did my own, got a generally favourable response on here 

its not rocket science honestly

I've done it on a cheapish squire, but not sure I want to try it on my lovely American Standard P 😮

It’s poly

people usually just scratch away at the body and forget about the neck. I rounded the neck off using a metal bar and flaked some lacquer the front by the 20th fret and on the fretboard edges 

you can get an old look immediately by just rubbing away at the body with a fresh dish sponge (green side) and matting down the paint a bit. Rub a bit harder where your hand would rub or the strap would rub. The key is to think about it a bit and take it in gentle stages rather than to go all out with a belt sander 

Edited by Geek99

On 28/01/2019 at 11:13, thebrig said:

I've done it on a cheapish squire, but not sure I want to try it on my lovely American Standard P 😮

Not trying to be funny, but if your bass is lovely why deliberately damage it? Buy a Roadworn as well? 🤔

Edited by Conan

On 28/01/2019 at 15:19, bazzbass said:

play it for 20 years in smokey bars...well you can't do THAT anymore, thank goodness

that relic job above looks aweful

no bass wears on the inside of the upper bout, how the #$%@ do you play it?

Wood expands and contracts - paint cracks off. I did my research looking at a lot of old fenders and looked at the way the grain sat in mine 

1 hour ago, Conan said:

Not trying to be funny, but if your bass is lovely why deliberately damage it? Buy a Roadworn as well? 🤔

I don't want to deliberately damage my bass, which is why I said that "I'm not sure I want to try it on my lovely American Standard P" and why I want to get one made.

I want a relic to fit in with the tribute band I have just joined.

Edited by thebrig

1 hour ago, thebrig said:

I don't want to deliberately damage my bass, which is why I said that "I'm not sure I want to try it on my lovely American Standard P" and why I want to get one made.

I want a relic to fit in with the tribute band I have just joined.

Maybe a Vintage v4 reissue icon might be an option. Decent bass already reliced from new, think it has nitro finish, so can relic it further if you prefer.

Edited by hooky_lowdown

9 hours ago, therealting said:

Bravewood will only work on pre-CBS Fenders, or of course their own creations. Wasn’t sure if the OP wanted a luthier that’s crafts relics, or a relicing service! 

Yes, I would want one made for me which is why I tried Limelight first, I also contacted Bravewood but they said that they no longer take on orders/commissions.

16 hours ago, thebrig said:

Ah. Apologies, I misunderstood your OP :$

31 minutes ago, Conan said:

Ah. Apologies, I misunderstood your OP :$

No apologies needed sir! 😉

I particularly want a P with a J neck, so I thought a custom build would be a good way to go, and judging by all the reviews on here, Limelight basses are top notch and a joy to play, and if I can get one built and I really like it, then I would sell my American Standard which would go a long way to paying for a custom build.