Why become a member? ×

Another hello from South Wales

cjm_2019

I thought I'd stop lurking and say Hello.

'Hello' :D

I'm Craig, 41, a multi-instrumental hermit living just north of Cardiff.

Having been in numerous bands as a guitarist / vocalist, then a drummer, and now as a solo one man recording billy-no-mates, I've discovered a newfound appreciation & respect for the subtleties of bass playing. There's a lot more to it than I ever realised.

I'm currently playing grunge / metal on a Squier PJ that I bought used a few months ago. For a budget instrument the neck and general tone is surprisingly good. I'm currently on the lookout for a second Squire PJ to keep in an alternate tuning as I'm either playing in Drop D or Drop C. 

So anyway, hello!

Edited by cjm_2019
  • Like 1

Shwmae Craig,
I'm just on the North edge of Cardiff - so we're probably not far away
If you're at high risk of becoming a hoarder - better not hang around the marketplace too long.... there are lots of goodies on offer there

Da Bo
Marc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Hey Craig, welcome to BassChat. 

How are you getting on with the squirt for grunge and metal then? Good in stock condition or consider mods? 😊

Hiya.

It's not bad. I have nothing to compare it to, but it sounds pretty decent to me with more P than J dialled in. I'm going through an HD500X and with a bit of EQ tweaking in the DAW it sounds big without being overpowering. Compliments the guitars well. I'm concentrating on playing it and getting as much as I can from my technique before considering upgrading.

When downtuned to drop C it still sounds reasonable too, surprisingly. I think it has thicker gauge strings than standard, and at some point the nut has been swapped for a brass unit.

Grace (my 16 month old Daughter) likes to play slap on it!

G&PJ.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cjm_2019 said:

Hiya.

It's not bad. I have nothing to compare it to, but it sounds pretty decent to me with more P than J dialled in. I'm going through an HD500X and with a bit of EQ tweaking in the DAW it sounds big without being overpowering. Compliments the guitars well. I'm concentrating on playing it and getting as much as I can from my technique before considering upgrading.

When downtuned to drop C it still sounds reasonable too, surprisingly. I think it has thicker gauge strings than standard, and at some point the nut has been swapped for a brass unit.

Grace (my 16 month old Daughter) likes to play slap on it!

G&PJ.jpg

Thought for a moment they started you off young 😂 bless her, she's going to be the next Ida Nielsen then? 😉👌🏻

Yeah, heavier strings will get you some nice low end rumble without your strings slacking too much and the sound of floppy strings being picked up. I'm sure as you come to upgrade you'll notice the difference with other basses and downtuning, especially going for 35" or multiscale basses. 

Pbass all the way though, I started off on a Westfield and loved it, can't go wrong and hope you and little Grace keep up the good work!

• Like 1