Why become a member? ×

Remote sessions?

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi, hope this is in the right place.

I'm of the 2" tape generation, not a complete luddite but I'm really out of date with Daws, I used to run Cubase midi on an Atari and that's as modern as I got. I like tech, I just don't know a great deal about it.

So, my question is, what do I need to create the most budget conscious system to be able to do fully professional, release quality, remote bass sessions?

I don't have anything at the moment, not even a computer, so I assume I need an interface, a computer and software, but I have no clue on specs or models etc.

Any advice most gratefully received.

What is a "fully professional, release quality, remote bass session"?

Anyway, this kind of thing: https://www.andertons.co.uk/recording/pocket-recorders/zoom-h1n-portable-recorder has a line input, I am assuming you are actually using a bass amp and it probably has a line out, so with the correct lead (or a DI box if it doesn't have a line out) you could record and I dare say the quality would be good enough to use for something.

But really, everyone is using a computer with a reasonable audio interface and DAW software these days - but without a computer, I'd suggest the above (or get a computer....)

Guest subaudio
45 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No studios in the vicinity, or at least a buddy with a home set-up..? That's the most cost-effective I can think of, if starting from scratch. B|

Sadly not.

Guest subaudio
4 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

What is a "fully professional, release quality, remote bass session"?

Anyway, this kind of thing: https://www.andertons.co.uk/recording/pocket-recorders/zoom-h1n-portable-recorder has a line input, I am assuming you are actually using a bass amp and it probably has a line out, so with the correct lead (or a DI box if it doesn't have a line out) you could record and I dare say the quality would be good enough to use for something.

But really, everyone is using a computer with a reasonable audio interface and DAW software these days - but without a computer, I'd suggest the above (or get a computer....)

Thanks for that.

I mean, some one sends me a track (stems) they want bass on, for commercial release, I record bass stems of sufficient audio quality to be used in their DAW of choice and they pay me a session fee.

I was a session player in the 2" tape/adat era but it's all gone full digital/computer based since I took a break so I need to go digital/computer based too, but I don't know what gear/computer/software I need.

2 hours ago, subaudio said:

Sadly not.

Hmm, that's odd. A quick search shows me twelve studios between Leeds and Worksop. I'm sure that at least one would allow you to record your bass line to your other tracks, for a fee far below the cost of your own rig, and to a guaranteed high standard, too.
Still, if that's not an option, it's going to mean buying a computer (PC or Mac; both will work...) capable of the job. Not too difficult for simply playing a bass-line into, but for multi-track sessions, a decent machine will be required.
Then an interface, to plug the bass into, or the line out of your amp, and/or a mic or two if you want/need to record the cab. Software would be the easy part, from a cost perspective, but it must be capable of importing the stems you'll receive, which could come in a variety of formats. Some are more easy to assimilate than others
One other requirement, and not the least, is an environment in which to carry on this activity. You'll need sound equipment to listen to the stems, and your addition to 'em, so monitors, on top of a good headset. Space, in which to put the gear in, and be able to leave it set up; you won't want to be opening boxes and cupboards every time the postman brings an order. Preferably free from extraneous household noise, or trafic, or neighbours and the like, more so if you'll be using mics.
It's quite feasible to do all of this on a modest budget, but some know-how would be needed for that. As you rightfully remark, these systems are quite far removed from the previous generations of recording gear; are you up to the challenge..? There's a considerable learning curve involved.
Good luck with the project, whichever path you decide to tread, but I'd still recommend giving the local studios a visit, and discussing any options they might propose. You never know, there could be some pleasant surprises in what they can offer you (including offering you session work when they, themselves, need a bassist..!).
Hope this helps. :)

I know a few people who have done this, and i've done it myself a few times for fun, not payment - definitely better than using a studio, by the time you've paid for the session you'll do well to break even when paid for the job.

I wouldn't use an amplifier, just a decent audio interface and headphones so you can play 'in the mix' 

laptop £300

interface £80 comes with free DAWx2 and plug ins

heaphones  up to £50

microphone £90

microphone cable £9

microphone stand £14

decent bass amp up to £250

Bass VST plug in £100

Edited by SH73

Guest subaudio
8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Hmm, that's odd. A quick search shows me twelve studios between Leeds and Worksop. I'm sure that at least one would allow you to record your bass line to your other tracks, for a fee far below the cost of your own rig, and to a guaranteed high standard, too.
Still, if that's not an option, it's going to mean buying a computer (PC or Mac; both will work...) capable of the job. Not too difficult for simply playing a bass-line into, but for multi-track sessions, a decent machine will be required.
Then an interface, to plug the bass into, or the line out of your amp, and/or a mic or two if you want/need to record the cab. Software would be the easy part, from a cost perspective, but it must be capable of importing the stems you'll receive, which could come in a variety of formats. Some are more easy to assimilate than others
One other requirement, and not the least, is an environment in which to carry on this activity. You'll need sound equipment to listen to the stems, and your addition to 'em, so monitors, on top of a good headset. Space, in which to put the gear in, and be able to leave it set up; you won't want to be opening boxes and cupboards every time the postman brings an order. Preferably free from extraneous household noise, or trafic, or neighbours and the like, more so if you'll be using mics.
It's quite feasible to do all of this on a modest budget, but some know-how would be needed for that. As you rightfully remark, these systems are quite far removed from the previous generations of recording gear; are you up to the challenge..? There's a considerable learning curve involved.
Good luck with the project, whichever path you decide to tread, but I'd still recommend giving the local studios a visit, and discussing any options they might propose. You never know, there could be some pleasant surprises in what they can offer you (including offering you session work when they, themselves, need a bassist..!).
Hope this helps. :)

Great advice, thanks very much.

I don't think I could make using another studio work financially, as the fees are pretty low for most work, but a good idea re some sort of mutual arrangement with a studio.

Transportation is also an issue for me.

But great advice nonetheless.

Guest subaudio

Thanks all, really great stuff.

What specs does the computer and interface need to have for pro level sessions? Forgive my ignorance.

I do have a really good pair of headphones, so I've got one bit of recording gear at least :) I have an amp, good basses etc, its the computer and interface side I'm clueless on.

I think I can use the tech, I'm good with sound and I'd take time to learn how to use it before asking for fees, but I really don't know the specs to go for with computers and interfaces.

Edited by subaudio

31 minutes ago, subaudio said:

What specs does the computer and interface need to have for pro level sessions? Forgive my ignorance.

You can get by with a surprising low spec computer for recording solo instruments. Anything with 4Gb of RAM or more would be perfectly adequate for recoding bass (ideally 16Gb if you want to branch out into producing full compositions).

For the interface, you want something that can handle a minimum of 24-bit/48kHz resolution, which pretty much all interfaces can - even the cheap ones. The key benefit you tend to find with better interfaces is lower latency (simply put, the delay time between you playing a note and you hearing it through your monitors). This is important if you're going to be playing along to backing tracks.

Any of the Focusrite products are highly recommended, starting with this one: https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-solo 

^ In fact @SH73 has just beaten me to it above with pretty much the exact same advic😁

25 minutes ago, subaudio said:

...What specs does the computer and interface need to have for pro level sessions? Forgive my ignorance....

The quality of the recording will not be an issue with any decent, modern PC or Mac, and any decent sound card will be capable of sufficient quality, too. The more 'heavyweight' equipment is when recording multi-track sessions, with lots of power-hungry effects such as reverberation and the like. For simply playing back stems and recording a bass line or two, an i5 PC, 64-bit OS (Windows 10 is fine; it's what I use...), 8 Go memory for instance will suffice. S/h will work as well as new, but the OS would be best installed 'fresh', as a s/h machine may well have 'issues' from that perspective.
The 'Focusrite' interfaces are pretty ubiquitous and highly rated, such as the Scarlate 2i2, which will do all you're planning on. Other models are available, of course, with more features (that you may be interested in or not...), and many other brands, too. The 2i2 is not expensive, and is certainly not 'cheap'.
Software..? Potentially a minefield, as one's affinity with its modus operandi is difficult to know in advance. I use Reaper, which will do all you're wanting, and I find easy enough to get good results from. It's free to try fully-functional for an unlimited time, and for which there is much help available, both here and on t'web. Acquisition is modestly priced, too (£60, if memory serves...).
There, that's enough to get you thinking, I hope. Others will chip in, too, so you've a lot to cogitate. Aspirins, maybe..?

I have a Tascam DR40, around $150. Records to DAW specs. Two combi jacks for mic or instrument input. Records in 4 track too if needs be.

But a cheap laptop and a Scarlett interface would be better if you can afford it.

BTW if you are running 32 bit windows, any RAM over 4Gb won't be used so don't do that. 64 bit windoze would be better if you can wangle it.

11 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

[Pedantry] Actually 3Gb, for obscure technical reasons.[/Pedantry]

actually about 3.4Gb, hehe or is it 2.4? ahhhgh

all I know is some people get 16Gb RAM but have 32 bit Windoze lol....and I would've been one of them but I couldn't afford more RAM hehe

Edited by bazzbass
  • Like 1