Why become a member? ×

Anyone know anything about this Eggle Milan?

Brook_fan

I used to be a huge fan of Patrick Eggle’s instruments back in the early 90s.  It was when I started my teaching career, and a shop in Bath used to have a whole wall full of Eggles of different colours.  I was very excited when the Milan came out.  This one is very pretty, apart from the strange logo on the body.  Anyone know what it means?

https://thebassgallery.com/products/patrick-eggle-milan-v-1

Robbie

Edited by Rich
Title amended

Thanks for all the replies.  What a fascinating story- wonder how on earth such a powerful religious symbol came to be on a bass!  And I wonder if it would be considered blasphemous to have it randomly plastered over a music instrument?

The blurb on the website only says it is early 90s, but I reckon they even got this wrong.  The first Eagle Milan’s that came out were set net, I’m sure, and that logo is the one they started using when Eggle left the company.

Robbie

The Om symbol was extremely prevalent in the 90s. It became a symbol of expanding consciousness within dance music culture - helped in no small way by it's use on some very potent party pills. 

Edited by BreadBin

Yup it was mine till a couple of weeks ago

its an early 90's - printed on the back of the headstock - (The Gallery isn't likely to get details like that wrong, especially when its engraved into the wood)

I cant remember who used to have it (on BC) who used it all around the world with the likes of Vanessa Mae - do a search for this bass on here and you'll find out its background.

I understand it was a one off made by Patrick for one of his mangers.

It was active but I'm not a fan of batteries so replaced the pickups with the passive equivalent Kent Armstrongs (I actually have Kent Armstrong active pickups for sale for this bass on BC).

I put an Ohm on all my instruments - it's the sign for universal healing sound (not that my bass playing is up to that standard :) - nothing blasphemous about putting any sacred sign on anything, and it definitely isn't 'plastered' - you can always peel it off.

I loved it so much that I bought another early 90's Milan V straight after this one (exactly the same shape, bolt on, but not the fancy paintwork or ebony fretboard that this one has), but I wanted to cut down on my basses, so rather than have two 'good' basses I part-ex'd them for one 'very very good' bass - an AV Basses PJ5.

it weighs about 8 1/2 lbs and is a beautiful bass. If I had the space etc I wouldn't have sold either Eggle, but that's life :(

Edited by 6feet7

Except it's not an "Ohm" sign.

It is the sign for "Om" (or "Aum"), which as you say is a sacred syllable in Hinduism and Buddhism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om

The symbol for "Ohm", however, is Ω - which is the Greek letter Omega. "Ohm" is the SI-derived unit of electrical resistance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm

Sorry to appear a fussy git.:scratch_one-s_head:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 6feet7 said:

Yup it was mine till a couple of weeks ago

its an early 90's - printed on the back of the headstock - (The Gallery isn't likely to get details like that wrong, especially when its engraved into the wood)

I cant remember who used to have it (on BC) who used it all around the world with the likes of Vanessa Mae - do a search for this bass on here and you'll find out its background.

I understand it was a one off made by Patrick for one of his mangers.

It was active but I'm not a fan of batteries so replaced the pickups with the passive equivalent Kent Armstrongs (I actually have Kent Armstrong active pickups for sale for this bass on BC).

I put an Ohm on all my instruments - it's the sign for universal healing sound (not that my bass playing is up to that standard :) - nothing blasphemous about putting any sacred sign on anything, and it definitely isn't 'plastered' - you can always peel it off.

I loved it so much that I bought another early 90's Milan V straight after this one (exactly the same shape, bolt on, but not the fancy paintwork or ebony fretboard that this one has), but I wanted to cut down on my basses, so rather than have two 'good' basses I part-ex'd them for one 'very very good' bass - an AV Basses PJ5.

it weighs about 8 1/2 lbs and is a beautiful bass. If I had the space etc I wouldn't have sold either Eggle, but that's life :(

Hope I didn’t cause offence.  I came across an interesting discussion of Eggle serial numbers here

I cannot quite make out the serial number of yours- it looks like 1406, but that doesn’t fit with the discussion above.  I still maintain that it’s probably a slightly later model when Eggle left- I used to own two of Eggle’s electrics- a New York Pro, where the logo said “Patrick Eggle” and then a New York Broadway (terrible name) which was a semi acoustic model, along the lines of a rickenbacker. This had the logo of just “Eggle”, but this came out when he sold the company to an ex Rocker whose name I have forgotten.  Over the year the company has changed hands several times.  Eggle himself has changed direction numerous times- when he left sold the company he moved to the USA and made jazz style guitars.  A few years later he started making acoustic again, and moved back to the UK,  in the last couple of years he has given up on acoustics (his designs are carried on with the Faith range of Asian made acoustics) and he is back making very nice electrics, al be it fairly derivative ones.

Would love to try this Milan though, as I said before, always Gased after one.

Robbie

Edited by Brook_fan

7 hours ago, mangotango said:

Except it's not an "Ohm" sign.

It is the sign for "Om" (or "Aum"), which as you say is a sacred syllable in Hinduism and Buddhism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om

The symbol for "Ohm", however, is Ω - which is the Greek letter Omega. "Ohm" is the SI-derived unit of electrical resistance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm

Sorry to appear a fussy git.:scratch_one-s_head:

To be fair, Aum/Om/Ohm are all acceptable ways of pronouncing the syllable on the bass in question.

Edited by ahpook

1 hour ago, Brook_fan said:

Hope I didn’t cause offence.  I came across an interesting discussion of Eggle serial numbers here

I cannot quite make out the serial number of yours- it looks like 1406, but that doesn’t fit with the discussion above.  I still maintain that it’s probably a slightly later model when Eggle left- I used to own two of Eggle’s electrics- a New York Pro, where the logo said “Patrick Eggle” and then a New York Broadway (terrible name) which was a semi acoustic model, along the lines of a rickenbacker. This had the logo of just “Eggle”, but this came out when he sold the company to an ex Rocker whose name I have forgotten.  Over the year the company has changed hands several times.  Eggle himself has changed direction numerous times- when he left sold the company he moved to the USA and made jazz style guitars.  A few years later he started making acoustic again, and moved back to the UK,  in the last couple of years he has given up on acoustics (his designs are carried on with the Faith range of Asian made acoustics) and he is back making very nice electrics, al be it fairly derivative ones.

Would love to try this Milan though, as I said before, always Gased after one.

Robbie

Do a search on here and you'll find out more about it. As I said before, this was supposedly made as a one off for one of his managers. The date is stamped into the woodwork (I don't remember the date but it was definitely early 90's ?????? '93, but don't take my word for it).It was identical to my other early 90's Milan V except that had the whole name on the headstock. 

Dont necessarily rely on online guitar dating forums. I once had an Eggle Berlin guitar which I was assured by an Eggle online forum that it was made after Patrick had left. After I'd sold it for less that I wanted someone who I knew at the time (a guitar shop owner who knew both my just sold guitar and Patrick Eggle himself) asked Patrick about the Berlin and Patrick assured him that it was one of his and was basically worth far more than the online forum dating had said it was (I hope that makes sense).

Patrick's venture into acoustics, Faith etc is well documented and the factory bearing his name is still making guitars and basses to his old design whilst he is making new guitars under his full name, but look at the guitar in the flesh. Look at the engraved date in the wood and then decide.

Edited by 6feet7

I'm the new owner of the bright green Milan V that was also for sale at the Gallery. It also had the sticker on the front of the bass. The Gallery removed it before sending it to me. 

Like others here I always wanted to own an Eggle but could never afford one or they just were never available for sale. 

The Gallery had two my bright green one or the blue one in the above picture. I went for the green as it just so..... Um? Green. 

It plays great and I'm a happy 👯

Just put an active kent Armstrong eq in to match the pickups and it sounds incredible. 

It is a great bass. 

• Like 1