Why become a member? ×

World class musicians in a pub

arthurhenry

I think so long as the tune was something the punters knew, and wasn't being completely mangled, they wouldn't notice who was playing it!

However, if it's world class musicians playing something unknown your average punter would just leave!

In December I saw a notice at my local pub saying a Dutch band were playing there. So I went, and this band were playing, just in the tiny bar; they were most certainly world class musicians, but they were playing proggy originals:

I was awe struck for the 1.5 hours they played. Sound was perfect, at a reasonable level - most certainly not too loud and most definitely a head-and-shoulders above what you'd normally hear in Knighton. Especially as it was free!

However, a steady stream of locals walked in, ordered drinks, didn't even glance at the band, didn't even pause in their loud shouty conversations, and just left to go and have more shouty conversations just like they did every single other Friday and Saturday night. One even asked me what the band were like - I said they were excellent musicians and well worth listening too; he said "don't know the song" and promptly went outside.

It just makes me think that the majority of folks don't actually like music as a thing, especially if there's any complexity. Don't know why - laziness perhaps? But judging by how music is treated in schools, and by our broadcasters - where music will only appear at prime time as X Factor, or in that weird stuff they do for Strictly where a tango has to be done to something by Madonna just in case folks feel a bit challenged - it's not surprising. However, it appals me that a majority of the population are missing out on so much creative endeavour cos they don't realise that the effort you put into properly listening is repaid in spades!

• Like 4

It's a slight deviation from the theme, but Buddy Whittington once turned up at once of the weekly blues jams I used to frequent. For those wondering who the hell I'm talking about, he's a very well-regarded blues guitarist, and first came to prominence playing with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. I think I'm right in saying that he was still touring with them on this particular evening, and one of the other regular jammers said they'd heard that when the Bluesbreakers had a night off between gigs, he liked to find a jam night in whichever town they were in, and just get up and jam with some strangers.

I always felt that the standard at this particular jam was fairly high, but he was a cut above us regulars, and it was quite obvious to everyone in the audience. The difference here was that at least 50% of said audience were musicians themselves, and the rest wouldn't have been there unless they liked to listen to a lot of blues, so everyone knew that this was something out of the ordinary. I can't help but suspect if he'd turned up with a band at the Tickled Trout and Terrier, somebody would have staggered up after a couple of songs and asked him if he knew Wonderwall.

13 hours ago, steantval said:

A few top guys used to rock up at live pub gigs around our way -

Colin Hodgkinson

Strangely, I'd not heard of him until yesterday, when my father mentioned that they were neighbours back in the 60s (and apparently still encounters him locally from time to time).

6 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I think so long as the tune was something the punters knew, and wasn't being completely mangled, they wouldn't notice who was playing it!

However, if it's world class musicians playing something unknown your average punter would just leave!

In December I saw a notice at my local pub saying a Dutch band were playing there. So I went, and this band were playing, just in the tiny bar; they were most certainly world class musicians, but they were playing proggy originals:

I was awe struck for the 1.5 hours they played. Sound was perfect, at a reasonable level - most certainly not too loud and most definitely a head-and-shoulders above what you'd normally hear in Knighton. Especially as it was free!

However, a steady stream of locals walked in, ordered drinks, didn't even glance at the band, didn't even pause in their loud shouty conversations, and just left to go and have more shouty conversations just like they did every single other Friday and Saturday night. One even asked me what the band were like - I said they were excellent musicians and well worth listening too; he said "don't know the song" and promptly went outside.

It just makes me think that the majority of folks don't actually like music as a thing, especially if there's any complexity. Don't know why - laziness perhaps? But judging by how music is treated in schools, and by our broadcasters - where music will only appear at prime time as X Factor, or in that weird stuff they do for Strictly where a tango has to be done to something by Madonna just in case folks feel a bit challenged - it's not surprising. However, it appals me that a majority of the population are missing out on so much creative endeavour cos they don't realise that the effort you put into properly listening is repaid in spades!

That's why the covers band scene is so big - bigger than it's ever been in the UK. People want the same old rubbish played over and over and over...

People don't like change. Never have and never will. The people who say "Those were the days". 

3 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

People don't like change

But if nobody went to see new bands there'd be no new music...

Folks round here will cross the country to watch some blokes kick a football about.

But a few years ago I booked Wilko Johnson to play at our village hall - it was barely 1/2 full. And conversely, I booked the Wurzels fir another gig - it sold out in 2 days!

So maybe it's just rocknroll our Bordrs dont like!

Here's the thing. It's easy to dismiss the general population as Heathens because they don't like live music, or what you would see as great music. The problem is music, even moreso than most things is massively subjective. You could have the greatest Jazz band in the world (I couldn't even name you one) playing at my local and I'd leave before they finished the first song. To me it's just noise. Conversely if it was an Iron Maiden cover band I would be in my element, but the rest of the pub would probably leave. 

Then you have the regulars, for whom live music is just an inconvenience and interruption to their normal schedule. Nothing worse than going out for a chat and having your conversation drowned out by music, live or otherwise. This is one of the reasons I could never understand the appeal of nightclubs. 

Sure they could be "world class" musicians but if it's something you've never heard then for most of the general population outside of musos it would barely even register, or even worse just become background noise. 

Sad but unfortunately true. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 4

World class musicianship won't always win over very good showmanship. Putting on a show is what people want, then they'll get in to almost anything. 

At big gigs I've seen the Hives get sneered at but turn it around through amazing showmanship and have the audience eating out of their hands, Dizzee Rascal the same when supporting the Red Hot Chilli's, went from having bottles of fosters thrown at him to absolutely rocking Knebworth through engaging the audience and winning them over. 

So in a pub, give me the world's best clarinet player sat in the corner knocking out a tune, I won't care. Give me a very good clarinet player putting heart and soul in to it while kicking over tables and stuff and I'm interested. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Putting on a show is what people want

For me, and I realise I'm in a muso-snob minority, it's the actual music that counts most...

After all, I can go to many places at pub chucking-out time and see people jumping about stupidly. But I'd prefer to see Jonas Hellborg and his band concentrating their little heads off in an almost motionless way apart from the blur of fingers, hands and toes than to see some very average musician posturing using every rock cliché.

However, Jonas would be even better if he had his foot on the monitor, leapt from the drum riser, did the devil's horns after every crazy bass-run, then bit the head off a bat...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

For me, and I realise I'm in a muso-snob minority, it's the actual music that counts most...

After all, I can go to many places at pub chucking-out time and see people jumping about stupidly. But I'd prefer to see Jonas Hellborg and his band concentrating their little heads off in an almost motionless way apart from the blur of fingers, hands and toes than to see some very average musician posturing using every rock cliché.

However, Jonas would be even better if he had his foot on the monitor, leapt from the drum riser, did the devil's horns after every crazy bass-run, then bit the head off a bat...

Fair do's but as you say you're a muso. A non muso six pints in doesn't want a flawless version of sex on firrz they want local guys and girls playing it with sincerity. IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

World class musicianship won't always win over very good showmanship. Putting on a show is what people want, then they'll get in to almost anything. 

At big gigs I've seen the Hives get sneered at but turn it around through amazing showmanship and have the audience eating out of their hands, Dizzee Rascal the same when supporting the Red Hot Chilli's, went from having bottles of fosters thrown at him to absolutely rocking Knebworth through engaging the audience and winning them over. 

So in a pub, give me the world's best clarinet player sat in the corner knocking out a tune, I won't care. Give me a very good clarinet player putting heart and soul in to it while kicking over tables and stuff and I'm interested. 

I've been to festivals where the best responses were for those bands, regardless of when anyone had heard of them before  had loads of showmanship, banter and fun, upbeat or energetic  disposition. With bands of virtuosos just focusing on their music but saying nothing, I've seen crowds generally drift away during their sets. One band I saw at a festival a few years ago who usually gets sneers but who put on the best show were...Limp Bizkit!. From the way the crowd got into it you'd never guess this is one of the most derided bands ever. 

• Like 1

I think that there are different aspirations from those in pubs, concert halls, festivals and busker sites. A concert in a pub can be done (I've done plenty enough...), but it's not the same, I reckon, as having a band in the corner whilst 'pub' activities are going on (I've done plenty of those, too..!). For concerts, I'd suggest comparison with classical music could be made, whereby one is going there specifically for the music (or jumping about, if that's part of the act...). A sober jazz concert would be spoiled if folks were jostling about, talking over the quiet bits, as would a Sibelius concert. Festivals are again a different kettle of fish, where folks can, and will, drift from one event to another, engage then potter off for a bite to eat, generally with a certain distance, both physical and mental, form the performance on stage. The antics of any one person in the audience is less important to the performer than the 'mass effect', getting the whole stadium (or muddy field; it depends...) to sway their hands in the air. Buskers have another effect still, as folks are, almost by the nature of things, passing by, with no previous intention of participating in an event. Sometimes it works, and a congregation forms, but that's more the exception than the rule, in general.
Different reactions, then, to whomsoever is performing by the very nature of the event. It seems quite logical to me that a 'star' could be ignored in a pub, but would be adulated in a stadium.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2019 at 01:20, chris_b said:

We had a jam night and the landlord let it be known the Paul Weller was coming down to sit in. When I got there the pub was so full I couldn't get my gear to the stage! Apparently PW took one look and drove home.

Sounds like a ruse to get non musicians to turn up to a jam night if you ask me!

• Like 1