Why become a member? ×

It doesn’t have to be in English to be good, does it?

ubit

I really don't understand English speakers who confine themselves only to a . music with lyrics and b those lyrics being in English. There's so much good music that's come out of the non-English speaking world that's actually far better than anything that's come out of the US and UK over the last decade or so. The great thing about instrumentals is that nationality doesn't matter. My advice? learn two or three foreign languages and then  you can enjoy songs sung in them

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm a big fan of Rammstein and being bilingual in German I understand the lyrics.  If they sang in English it wouldn't work half as well. The harder edge to German lends itself better to their music and the dark nature of the songs

I agree. Till Lindemann’s solo album is really good, but the fact he sings it in English is almost disappointing 

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

I much prefer the original to the English translated version

There's an English translated version..? o.O I didn't know that; we've had this in our repertoire for about... Well, even longer than that..! Jolly good stuff it is, too. :i-m_so_happy:

Edit: I've just looked it up. The playing is the same, but the lyrics (and singing...) are dire..! I don't think we'll be adopting that version..! :laugh1:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

but the lyrics (and singing...) are dire..! I don't think we'll be adopting that version..! :laugh1:

It just doesn’t work does it? I think it was Joe Strummer way back in 1980 or something, that translated their album so that they could break the British market. Personally, I preferred the original. The way the songs had been intended. My mate had spent a couple of summers in France and he brought it back for us to hear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubit said:

who  can  forget this? I much prefer the original to the English translated version

BOOM! I bought the album on a school trip to France, before the english version. I still listen to it now and I'm 14 again. I was way cool for having a record in French!

The lyrics for the English version were wrote by Jimmy Pursey and ruined the chorus of Antisocial IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I think some English folks are rather too hung up on things being rubbish if they're not in English, cos foreigners are obviously stupid and need to be spoken to more loudly, and obviously patronised heavily...😉

:D

Oh, haven't I met a few of those! 

They'd repeat the exact same words, only more slowly and loudly, instead of trying a different way to say what they want to say. It's hilarious, if frustrating at the time. Especially when they're... abroad trying to talk to the locals.

Ah, thick people are fascinating 😛

I think you will find that all of the bands that have made it big worldwide use English for their lyrics. That's the truth and you can either take it or leave it.There is nothing wrong with bands singing in their native tongue but they won't get farther than their own country in regards to success. And maybe that is what they want, but it most certainly does not appeal to me and the majority of people.But there is nothing wrong being in the minority!

3 minutes ago, RedVee said:

And maybe that is what they want, but it most certainly does not appeal to me and the majority of people.But there is nothing wrong being in the minority!

The majority of people? Why would the majority of people want to learn a fringe language like English with only 340M natives speakers vs Mandarins 840M natives? :D

• Like 3