Why become a member? ×

It doesn’t have to be in English to be good, does it?

ubit

I don't care much about understanding what the lyrics say but some languages sound really good for music (english, german, japanese...) others just sound WRONG

I can't think of bands singing in Italian that I don't find extremely annoying. French sucks too.

Edited by oZZma

2 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

@Dad3353 Thanks for M.D.K !
Great, great version, and nicer to look at than the cover of the original album or even the cover of Theusz Hamtaahk. 🙂

I saw them (again...) that year, in Rennes. It's quite an experience. Some of their 'songs' are longer than the whole set of some other formations..! Epic stuff. B|

• Like 2

I have lived in the UK all my life. I live a totally bilingual life. It does not matter what the language is. It just needs to be good. There is plenty of good and plenty of dross in any given language. There is SO MUCH stuff out there that is superb and if we cannot listen past the language then it is our loss, not theirs. This guy is very fine.I have no idea what he is singing about, but I know it is grooving along very nicely indeed.

Edited by owen

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Bande de racistes..! >:(

I'll raise you one Academie Francaise and Johnny Halliday.

088d18438f183103ecabc1350e702f25f5b19bdd

Wearing their distinctive cannabis garlands of office, three members of the Academie Francaise debate whether 'le twerking' can be a French word or not

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Abel Cordovez - Spanish reggae. I was lucky enough to see him do a solo acoustic gig in a tiny club in the north of Tenerife a couple of years ago. 

ps I've only just now discovered, in looking for a link to post, that there's a whole sub-genre of Canarian reggae, politically aligned with Canarias Libre. Which does make sense - they see themselves as a native island culture oppressed by a remote foreign power. They have a point. 

Edited by josie
Added ps

16 hours ago, NickD said:

A Dutch friend turned me on to Kurban while I was staying with him. I find most lyrics a bit daft anyway, so it didn't matter that I didn't get the words.

I got some of the lyrics. Something about a poofter!

seriously. Cracking song! 

I think some English folks are rather too hung up on things being rubbish if they're not in English, cos foreigners are obviously stupid and need to be spoken to more loudly, and obviously patronised heavily...😉

However, there's a whole world out there that's not English - it'd be daft to just confine yourself to one bit of what's available! After all, it's the music that counts - singers have been conning us all for years that they're the most important!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

"It doesn’t have to be in English to be good, does it?"

I think the world of opera would agree. 

My original point was small minded folks who would dismiss music just because it wasn’t in English. I was working with some boys a few years ago and I had my phone playing music. Some J rock came on and one of them exclaimed “ that’s in foreign” I said it doesn’t have to be in English to be good and he said “ tell that to the Beatles and the Stones”   Fair enough, but there’s lots of bands that are huge in other countries.