Why become a member? ×

It doesn’t have to be in English to be good, does it?

ubit

There are quite a few foreign bands that I am into. I was wondering if any of you are the same. I was once laughed at for listening to “ foreign muck” and “ ya can’t understand what they are saying”, but there are thousands of hidden gems out there. Not least this band. My mate is married to a Turkish girl and when she introduced this band to him, he was like “ that’s actually really good, it’s like normal music!”   He went to see them in Ankara last night. Said it was superb. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RedVee said:

Lyrics are a major part of any song, that seems to be the majority opinion as music that is not sung in English doesn't seem to gain popularity among the people.

I agree to a point. Although when a song has a great hook, or the musicianship is amazing, I can still like it. Rammstein are huge and I bet most people can’t understand what they are singing about. Plus, if you are not listening to foreign music because you can’t understand the lyrics, then you are missing out big style. 

Edited by ubit

2 hours ago, RedVee said:

Lyrics are a major part of any song, that seems to be the majority opinion as music that is not sung in English doesn't seem to gain popularity among the people.

I think most lyrics are rubbish, so I’m more tolerant of songs song in a foreign language, since I can’t understand the words I won’t know if they are crap.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NickD said:

A Dutch friend turned me on to Kurban while I was staying with him. I find most lyrics a bit daft anyway, so it didn't matter that I didn't get the words.

I got some of the lyrics. Something about a poofter!

seriously. Cracking song! 

I always loved Gazette. They sing in either English or Japanese, but frankly neither are that understandable.

And this - shows you don't need to understand the lyrics to convey the emotion

But then the language isn't that much of a barrier considering this is one of their songs sung entirely in English

• Like 2