Why become a member? ×

NBD! Music Man Sub USA

BreadBin

I spotted this on Gumtree for a stupidly cheap price. I don't have any sort of Stingray or anything USA built in my herd so I thought it would be rude not to! 

DSC_0102.thumb.JPG.a50ca204530c34aa0703a087d946379f.JPG

It's got a couple of dings on the body, the headstock looks like it's been around a drumkit and some wear to the neck which I can only assume has been caused by a wedding ring. I'm not a massive fan of the pickplate but otherwise it's great.

Happy days!

• Like 6

Hiho,you,ve got a cracking bass there,I,ve had mine since 2003 and it,s great.

I have replaced the scratchplate with a carbon fibre one and fitted a hipshot d-tuner.I A/B my SUB with a Classic through my rig and they play,feel and sound the same without the hefty price tag.I,m starting to wear through the paint on the back of the neck but hey ho after 16 years that's mojo.All I can say is fabulous gigging bass and I like the look of it.

I,ve never needed to adjust since I set it up when I got it,what more can you say.If you got it for a good price-happy days.Enjoy many happy years of playing like I have.

There is a lot of love for these we just try to keep it quiet.There is a story that Musicman lost money on these and there is a USA  SUB club on another site.

Again well done on getting one of these fabulous basses and remember the EQ can be savage if overboosted but that,s another story.Oh a quickie seemingly the EQ is the original 2 band circuit which may be used on the classic.I might be right but if somebody can correct my recolections that would be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

I spotted this on Gumtree for a stupidly cheap price. I don't have any sort of Stingray or anything USA built in my herd so I thought it would be rude not to! 

DSC_0102.thumb.JPG.a50ca204530c34aa0703a087d946379f.JPG

It's got a couple of dings on the body, the headstock looks like it's been around a drumkit and some wear to the neck which I can only assume has been caused by a wedding ring. I'm not a massive fan of the pickplate but otherwise it's great.

Happy days!

Great basses, enjoy 😉 

• Like 1

Superb and very well made basses!

I actually prefer the sound of my white SUB to my 'real' Stingray [1] but I play the Stingray more because it's noticeably lighter and the contours make it a bit more comfy...

[1] My SUB is wired in series, which gives it a little extra punch in the low mids that I feel complements the 2-band EQ beautifully. I replaced the preamp in my Stingray (wired parallalel, as standard) with a John East that included a semiparametric mids module that allows me to get that sound easily... but the SUB needs no help at all. 

• Like 1

I've now set it up with new strings - it's a decent bass. Truss rod needed a bit of adjustment, the intonation was nowhere near and I've dropped the saddles a tad so it rattles when you spank it but is clean sounding otherwise. 

The only problem is I'm running out of space, I really need to let some go!

Great basses these BB - well worth the money.  As said above, the neck is easily sorted by some rubbage as it can get a bit sticky (mine did).  It the case of the SUB I had, I had the black paint removed from all but the front of the headstock and had the back gloss lacquered.  Hard to get all of the black flecks out but looked good to me and played a lot better for it.

• Like 1

I saw this advertised on Gumtree the other day and having vowed never to buy another Stingray previously, due to not being able to get a decent sound out of the ones I'd owned, I was advised on another thread to try a 2 eq version (something I've never owned). I saw this one and was tempted but in the end let it go in the end. Oh well, it was a great price either way.

• Like 1