Why become a member? ×

Short scale 30in Basses

danny-79

There seems to be a lot of short scale basses about at the present. It’s no something I know anything about (apart from my acoustic that’s 32).

What sort of genre are they suited to and why the surge in popularity all of a sudden. ? educate me to there uses and advantages please and thank you 

I absolutely love my Gretsch Junior Jet II. I recently got back into playing bass after many years absence and initially thought it would be an easier choice. Although a few months in and I've found I've kind of automatically transitioned back to full scale. So sadly, as much as I love it I find I don't really use it much now. Although to be honest the thing sounds great and doesn't really have a disadvantage against full scale basses in that regard. I think they're a great choice for anyone transitioning from guitar, anyone just starting out, or someone with a short reach or any kind of problems playing full scale. Having said that, I don't really think there are any real disadvantages to playing one. So if someone is more comfortable playing a short scale I would say go for it. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, danny-79 said:

There seems to be a lot of short scale basses about at the present. It’s no something I know anything about (apart from my acoustic that’s 32).

What sort of genre are they suited to and why the surge in popularity all of a sudden. ? educate me to there uses and advantages please and thank you 

Short scales are easier and to some more comfortable to play. Genre wise I would say rock, blues - that sort of stuff.

• Thanks 1

I've got a MIJ Mustang, after a lifetime of P bass use, and it's very good.

It doesn't exactly do anything the P bass doesn't - in many ways its like a smaller version of it. The shorter scale does seem to focus the tone more in the midrange, so small fills and runs on higher notes that sometimes get lost on the P seem to be more prominent in the Mustang.

It's still got plenty of low end too - i was worried it would lack oomph, but having recorded it A/B'd against my precision, they sound very similar and very much the same ball park tonally. I gigged it with a fulll loud band and it cut thru very nicely, and is stil small and comfortable enough for playing at home/rehearsing.

Its obviously a fair bit lighter than a long scale, and the smaller/shorted neck is easier to play. Its very good for quite busy bass parts as moving around it easier. The string tension is less stiff than a long scale, which can take a bit of getting used to, but again doesn't cause any issues.

Mine is strung with flatwounds, but even with rounds i don't think i'd choose it for slap or funk. Its more for rock, garage, pop and retro sounds.

Short scales look cool and are a lot easier to wear for a whole gig. A lot of them are pretty retro styled (Gretsch, Mustangs, Ibanez Talmans etc) which look great if that's your thing.

• Thanks 1

As all above. My regular bass has been my Squire Mustang with La Bella 760F-MUS flats for a couple of years now. Simple, small, light, easy to play, P- ish tone. I am old and lazy though! Worth a try if you've never done so.

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went through a short scale phase and really enjoyed playing them.  I had a Fender Musicmaster, Squier VM Mustang, Squier Vista Series Musicmaster, Epiphone EB0, Danelectro Longhorn.  If I were to choose which I would re-buy it would actually be the Squier VM Mustang, which to me sounded and felt like the one MIJ Mustang I once tried.  It sounded and played like a bass far above its price point.  The one I wouldn't bother with again would be the EB0, didn't enjoy that for many reasons.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...