Why become a member? ×

Baseball bat necks?

hooky_lowdown

Recently I've found I'm a fan of big "baseball bat" necks, especially on P basses. I know original P basses had them, but what other brands/manufacturers make or made a P bass with baseball bat style necks? I know the Harley Benton PB50's have them.

Edited by hooky_lowdown

34 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Depends on how you define "baseball bat" in terms of a neck!

I had a Yamaha Attitude, and whilst it was chunky, the neck wasn't as deep as, say, my Warwick Infinity. That's narrower, but deeper, and feels more like a baseball bat  (nearer to circular) 

Baseball bat necks I'd reference as being very deep.

• Like 1

If you are considering replacing just a neck, then Musikraft in the USA offer a customising service and from what I have read up on them are of a very high quality, equivalent to Warmoth and US made Fender necks 

I ordered a fat vintage spec one recently and I'm waiting for it to arrive, this is the  link to the neck builder 

https://musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid208.html

They offer a great service where you can spec pretty much anything you like, so I went on their site and was able to order a neck which will exactly meet my needs. 

These are the options I have gone for

Options:
ORIENTATION: Right for Right Handed Players
HEAD SHAPE: J/P Style
HEEL SHAPE: Rounded J/P Style
NUMBER OF FRETS: 20 Fret (Standard)
NUT WIDTH: 1-3/4 P Style (44.45mm)
HEEL WIDTH: 2.4375 (61.91mm) Vintage Fender
TUNER HOLE SIZE: 2 Step 11/16 X 9/16 Vintage Fender
TRUSS ROD TYPE: Single Acting Adjust at the Heel
FB RADIUS: 7-1/4
NUT SLOT STYLE: 1/8 Standard Fender Style
SHAFT WOOD: Rock Maple
FINGER BOARD STYLE: Veneer Vintage Fender (20 Fret Only) Will Come With 50/50 Side Dots + $80
FINGER BOARD WOOD: Brazilian Walnut - Reclaimed Lumber from The Coney Island Boardwalk
TOP DOTS & INLAY: Imitation Clay
BINDING: None
SIDE DOTS: Imitation Clay 2mm
FRET WIRE SIZE: 6230 Vintage Small
FB EDGES: Semi Rolled Standard
BACK PROFILE: Fat C 1.0 X 1.0
FINISH: Raw (No Warranty)
MOUNTING HOLES: Do Not Drill Mounting Holes

All vintage spec and with the fattest neck possible

The fingerboard material is a little unusual....."FINGER BOARD WOOD: Brazilian Walnut - Reclaimed Lumber from The Coney Island Boardwalk"...……..sounds quite cool coming from the Coney Island Boardwalk but from what I can gather, it's a very similar colour, and I had intended to try using brown dye to darken the fingerboard for a more aged look anyway (apparently brown leather dye works well).

The build time is 6 to 8 weeks, which is perfect, as it's going to be my birthday present. 

It's going on a Day of Birth build I'm doing at the moment, so I was after a 1964 spec with the veneer fingerboard 

1 hour ago, rubis said:

The fingerboard material is a little unusual....."FINGER BOARD WOOD: Brazilian Walnut - Reclaimed Lumber from The Coney Island Boardwalk"...……..sounds quite cool coming from the Coney Island Boardwalk but from what I can gather, it's a very similar colour, and I had intended to try using brown dye to darken the fingerboard for a more aged look anyway (apparently brown leather dye works well).

It’s more commonly called Ipe over here...confusingly it’s not actually a Walnut at all! It’s mega hard and heavy so should last well as a fretboard. Though being so hard and oily you may struggle to get a nice result with dye.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 26/01/2019 at 19:53, Mastodon2 said:

The Yamaha Attitude has a neck modelled on a 68 Tele bass neck and it is big. It's still a fast neck though - the satin finish is superbly applied, the best I've ever felt. People with small hands might struggle on it, I suppose. 

I’ve only ever played one Yamaha bass. It was a Billy Sheehan attitude 2 and was a lovely bass but the neck was a bit too chunky for my taste.

The old Warwick Rockbass basses had chunky baseball bat necks. I hated the one I had, although it wasn't helped by the way it hung on the strap. The first fret felt like it was a 1000 miles away. The overall combination was the most uncomfortable playing bass I've owned. 

I was relieved to get rid of it.

On 26/01/2019 at 20:25, Lozz196 said:

Vintage V4 Tony Butler has a real chunker of a neck. From what I understand the regular V4s have slimmer necks though.

Funny I should stumble across this old post as there's a Vintage Tony Butler for sale local to me that I liked the look of, but I favour the slimmer end of the scale neckwise so you saved me some money.

There's also a vintage Tony Butler that lives local to me but that's an entirely different thing. 😁

43 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Fixed for you.

Not at all.  Eighties Warwick’s were very slim indeed (think Ibanez), post 2009 Warwicks are also a slimmer C than most.  It is a common misconception all Warwicks have baseball bat necks, just because of the sheer quantity of them out there that were built between 2000 and 2005 odd with the D/U necks.  Almost all negative Warwick stereotypes comes from peoples experience of the sub par basses built during those “let’s build as many as we possibly can” years.

Edited by Kev
Because apparantly I can't grammar.
  • Like 1

Not a P admittedly, but my '80 Wal Pro has a big, deep 'V'-profiled neck. Properly chunky. I should hate it, but I don't. :) 

Also not Ps, but from what I understand, Wishbass necks are absolutely enormous due to their lack of truss rods.

G&L Tribute LB-100 had the biggest neck of all the basses I’ve owned. Bigger still than the Tribute L2K’s from my memory of owning those in the past. Loved the look and sound of the LB-100, just couldn’t get on with the neck at all. 

I’ve also found that the MusicMan Classic Stingray I had earlier this year and the Classic Sabre I own now are both a bit on the chunky side as well.  Not uncomfortably so but bigger than regular versions of the same models I’ve owned before.

Edited by dub_junkie
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Took my Hondo Professional 2 to practice last night and it reminded me what a lovely neck it's got, IMO, slim (38mm at the nut) but chunky, as it's very heavy, being a plywood body, and like @Marvin's Warwick the first fret is a stretch the way it hangs on the strap it got me thinking what other P basses have a similar neck, so I Googled it and this thread came up

On 26/01/2019 at 20:21, jezzaboy said:

G & L L2000 Tribute. 44 mm and a big handful of neck!

I'd always heard this, so had written them off whenever one came up near me, despite being really interested in the MFD pups and liking what I had heard from vids/reviews. I played one the other day and didn't think they were too bad. Despite being chunky at the nut, it didn't feel too deep front to back.

Now I'm kicking myself for all the ones I've missed out on!