Why become a member? ×

Replacement Drivers for Vanderkley 112 EXT

Pirellithecat

Hi,

A long shot this, but I have a pair of Vanderkley 112EXT's.    Might be me but I suspect that there's an unwanted click/"tap" at the beginning of the note played - sounds like the cone is hitting the end stop or something.     It's only noticeable at low to moderate volumes and it could be something to do with my technique (i.e. not great!).   The Speakers are pretty old and second hand but I thought I'd see if I can cure the problem with a replacement driver.    Contacted Vanderkley - no response.

Anyone know what I need by way of replacement before I dismantle one and have a look?

Thanks

Ian

It's likely to be the Faital 12PR300, but there's no getting round opening the cab up to take a look. The driver is readily available from a couple of suppliers in the UK, which is fortunate.

That's an unusual fault, as I'd expect the clicking to get worse as the volume increases. It might not be the driver. So make sure you check for loose cables, screws, etc. and see if the problem occurs outside the cab (at a low volume, of course).

Well ...... had a long overdue spring clean of the Speaker checked all the nut tightnesses but didn't remove anything.   

All looks fine - In fact it all looks "brand new"!

So I plugged in my "Stick"  and there's the "click".  AND the clipping light is flashing in time with the click .......

Turned the gain down and volume up ...  no click!

So, I'll give it all a bit of a workout over the next couple of days, but it looks like clipping in the amp gain stage.   AND although I feel a bit daft, the gain seems to clip way before the clipping light comes on! 

Could that be the simple explanation??

Doh!

Ian