Why become a member? ×

My mate has loaned me a mixer!

Ricky 4000

Not a food mixer, its a Behringer 802 USB mixer. And because he's a drummer, he has no idea how to make it work. 😁

I found some wires in the garage, and had the right noises coming out of it within an hour... so I downloaded Reaper + Audacity. Another hour and I've recorded a bass track onto my laptop!

Instant nerd!! 👍

WP_20190125_22_49_02_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Nice!

BCs very own Phil Spector!

I think there's a monthly composition comp or something - you should enter, or at least post your track.

I'm quite jealous.

Go Ricky! :)

I saw a film about Spector. Didn't he shoot his girlfriend? 😐

You should totally get a mxr. 👍 They're only about 60 quid. 😊

5 hours ago, bazzbass said:

so how are you going into the PC?

you'll get better recordings with a USB interface. A Scarlett 2i2 would be cheap and it's good.

those mixers are great for practising, put your phone thru the aux in and start playing.

I think those are part of their usb range it sends all the signals through to a DAW as a singke track even if all the channels are being used 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Cool. Nice little mixers for the money - analog too, I think? - and with some built-in EQ.

Have fun 👍

Thank you. 👍

Yep, its 2 bus analog with FX loop, 3 band British EQs, even has (simple one-knob) compression and preamp gain control on 1 + 2.

All for as little as £58. brand new! ... amazing value IMHO.

And thanks for the "Beginners Guide" thread... I haven't really done anything with virtual recording / mixing for nearly 20 years, so I am a little out of touch! 

11 hours ago, bazzbass said:

so how are you going into the PC?

you'll get better recordings with a USB interface. A Scarlett 2i2 would be cheap and it's good.

those mixers are great for practising, put your phone thru the aux in and start playing.

If you look on the pic' in the first post, the instrument cable going in to the line input of channel 2 is a passive bass. I can get decent line level from a particularly low output bass (albeit with the preamp gain turned up pretty high!).

Incidentally, I was also getting signal using 3/4 or 5/6 with the level control way up... obviously there is preamp on 3/4 5/6, but as it's not user adjustable, those inputs might be better for an active bass, or one with a higher passive output... I'll try more of that stuff when I get some more "play time".

Well, it is a mixer with USB interface. And if it wasn't USB, I'd just use the mixer's tape machine phono I/Os to the laptop's Phones OUT and Mic IN . 😉

5 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I think those are part of their usb range it sends all the signals through to a DAW as a single track even if all the channels are being used 

Interesting... so from that, are some interfaces capable of more? ... I wonder how many tracks are possible via USB at the same time?

I kind of assumed the Behringer would do one stereo or two mono via USB... 

Not that it matters, but I'm using Win7 and generic Win USB Audio Codecs in and out, rather than an ASIO driver package. ☺️

Edited by Ricky 4000

4 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Interesting... so from that, are some interfaces capable of more? ... I wonder how many tracks are possible via USB at the same time

depends on the interface. Your mixer only allows a stereo send, so you can't adjust individual tracks as such. 

I have the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and I have ten mic pres and 8 ADAT inputs that can each go into a DAW as individual tracks to be mixed individually. I use it to record my band live.

But that mixer is perfect for you right now.

Add a DAW like Reaper and you're set.

10 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I think those are part of their usb range it sends all the signals through to a DAW as a singke track even if all the channels are being used 

cheers for that, I tried to look for a usb cord in the pic but my eyesight is not too good from afar lol