Why become a member? ×

Boutique Bass Preamp Wanted (small shops quest)

johnpaulbass

Hello guys,

I'm in a hunt for a good preamp pedal (basically one that would allow me to go with bass - in ear to a gig).
Since reading a lot about various fantastic pedals such the Darkglass's one's Aguilar's and such I wanted to taste the waters if in Europe there are some small shops, builders making some boutique, handmade preamps.

I've saw the Marleaux one (which is selling on Thomann too).

Darkglass and such are (although I like them a lot and respect their work) already a "too big" company for me :)

I want a more "personal" approach and truly a small handmade shop.

Can someone help me with some suggestions ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

RMI Basswitch - might be overkill but fully featured if you did need to incorporate additional pedals or a second bass. Much more affordable used if you can find one. Jacques is active on talkbass and Facebook. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

Not wanting to offend the OP at all but I'd suggest deeply examining why you want this. 

There are many very good and very diverse products on the market. 

If you've got too much money and want a fun way to blow some of it, then this is a great idea.

However, if you've convinced yourself you need a small batch, handmade boutique product for any functional reason honestly, and I say this from a place of BC  comradeship,  think again. 

Sounds a bit preachy but GAS is an addiction and what you're describing, and indeed the Noble, are expensive hits. 

I'll shut up now! Good luck with whatever you decide :) 

Edited by funkydoug
  • Like 2

Try Reußenzehn https://www.reussenzehn.de/de/musiker/bass-preamps.php

Or even Glockenklang with their Bass Art preamp https://www.glockenklang.de/de/produkte/produkte_bass.htm

The French guys of Two Notes are making some terrific products : https://www.two-notes.com/le-bass

The Polish Taurus could be worth looking at http://www.taurus-amp.pl/bass/efx-preamp/preamps.html

• Like 1

Hmmm...sounds to me too that you're describing either Noble or Monique.  I use the former but have considered the latter on many occasions - both boutique (a fairly extreme form) and both would fit the bill.  The Monique may be a little more versatile, though in my experience the Noble provides an out of the box 'produced' sheen - sort of your bass through a valve pre/high-end desk.  Solid, clean, even and imbued with quality valve saturation.  Neither option is cheap (but if you're going with IEMs, a big saving on a high-end rig, and carrying the latter?)  One final point, I find that the Noble works better (brilliantly!) with Fender type or vintage basses rather than modern/active instruments.     

Edited by three
  • Like 1

On 11/02/2019 at 12:25, three said:

Hmmm...sounds to me too that you're describing either Noble or Monique.  I use the former but have considered the latter on many occasions - both boutique (a fairly extreme form) and both would fit the bill.  The Monique may be a little more versatile, though in my experience the Noble provides an out of the box 'produced' sheen - sort of your bass through a valve pre/high-end desk.  Solid, clean, even and imbued with quality valve saturation.  Neither option is cheap (but if you're going with IEMs, a big saving on a high-end rig, and carrying the latter?)  One final point, I find that the Noble works better (brilliantly!) with Fender type or vintage basses rather than modern/active instruments.     

This is exactly how I use mine, with Precision’s and flatwound strings :). I also went with it over the Monique (which is amazing) purely because of its form factor and that it can power 6 other pedals on my board!

A611D5AA-FA9B-40B3-A172-C0156E398E2F.thumb.jpeg.2628bcf51480d33bbbcf696a5ea1496d.jpeg

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

I also went with the Noble (it replaced the Sadowsky Preamp/DI on my board). It fits neatly on my Pedaltrain Nano with my OC2 and Polytune 2 (and powers them), plus a wireless if I choose to use one. I’m very happy going into virtually any house amp with it too, I can get the board and two basses in my Mono double / Tick and all fits on my back. 

Edited by therealting
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

I now own the Trickfish Amplification Trilobite twin preamp pedal, which is "basically" a twin Mike Pope Flexcore preamp and I must say that it's really amazing sounding and a real Swiss army knife : https://www.trickfishamps.com/pedals/trilobite/

I see that Trickfish's are now quite popular :)

• Like 1