Why become a member? ×

Cheap Fan Fret

anzoid

I get the impression that this first run was a test balloon, sent up to gauge the demand before they order more to be built. Which means that positive reports like the above will have an impact on sales under normal conditions. We're not in normal conditions, though: over the next few months I could end up on reduced wages or even lose my job entirely, so any bass purchase is understandably pushed back until I know my income is secure. 😞

• Sad 1

On 21/03/2020 at 08:49, bnt said:

I get the impression that this first run was a test balloon, sent up to gauge the demand before they order more to be built. Which means that positive reports like the above will have an impact on sales under normal conditions. We're not in normal conditions, though: over the next few months I could end up on reduced wages or even lose my job entirely, so any bass purchase is understandably pushed back until I know my income is secure. 😞

Yeah it is far too good for the price. Preamp upgrade and this is would make the Ibanez fanned fret instruments look like toys. Finishing is not amazing but looks like the new headless Ibanez are shocking and 5x price. 

I'm quite sure price will go up when they return to stock, however they don't seemed to have shifted ANY 4 string variants. Then again 4 string Dingwalls don't seem very common either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machines said:

Yeah it is far too good for the price. Preamp upgrade and this is would make the Ibanez fanned fret instruments look like toys. Finishing is not amazing but looks like the new headless Ibanez are shocking and 5x price. 

I'm quite sure price will go up when they return to stock, however they don't seemed to have shifted ANY 4 string variants. Then again 4 string Dingwalls don't seem very common either. 

I agree with the pre amp 100% but thats where the costs have been cut, finish on mine is as good as anything else i`ve owned, I can`t fault it, thing is the neck is worth the asking price on its own, it just feels right!

I had the 4 string Ibanez SR800ff and yeah, 4 string fan frets are pointless.

On 22/03/2020 at 20:07, DarkHeart said:

4 string fan frets are pointless.

I respectfully disagree. The 36.25" of the E on a long scale Dingwall is not pointless. I know people go on about the B strings, but the E strings are really something else. Add in some Payson reduced core nickel strings that are specifically engineered for that scale and you have magic. I sometimes wish my Combustion was a 4 string - I write differently on 4 and 5 strings. A 4 string multiscale is also great for people who want to tune in some super low tunings. I say this as someone who also still greatly enjoys a Mustang too. It's all horses for courses, YMMV, etc. and a reason to buy more basses 😁

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

I respectfully disagree. The 36.25" of the E on a long scale Dingwall is not pointless. I know people go on about the B strings, but the E strings are really something else. Add in some Payson reduced core nickel strings that are specifically engineered for that scale and you have magic. I sometimes wish my Combustion was a 4 string - I write differently on 4 and 5 strings. A 4 string multiscale is also great for people who want to tune in some super low tunings. I say this as someone who also still greatly enjoys a Mustang too. It's all horses for courses, YMMV, etc. and a reason to buy more basses 😁

I would agree very much with this. As a life long 6 string bass player, along with 5s and 4s, I still get niggled, less often now, about a 6 string bass not being a "real" bass.
The same applies here, nothing is pointless, just because someone uses a different paint brush to you, it doesn't make their choice any less valid than yours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remember seeing these when they were first announced, didn't realise any had shipped!

I mean for the money, these seem very interesting indeed.  I feel QC will be a huge factor though, but I guess if you can return them in the 30 day return window its not the end of the world.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, therealting said:

Ah I didn’t realise he ended up returning his. I figured for £200, what the hell.

I didn't say that - same model, yes, but I don't think it's the same instrument. He said nothing about any significant damage.

Edited by bnt
wording
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Very nice, but PLEASE!

Peel the little circles of plastic off the back of those tuners right now!

Then colour the white washers with a black sharpie...

That photo is the day I got it 2 months ago. It was done very soon after. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Phew...I have seen guitars several years old with white circles of plastic on chrome tuners. I start frothing at the mouth...

Looks across at black tuners on beloved bass. Notices white rings. Agrees with @Stub Mandrel that they are sub optimal. Decides to leave them in place in the hope of watching him froth at the mouth at the 2021 Midlands Bass Bash 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1