Why become a member? ×

Cheap Fan Fret

anzoid

1 hour ago, DarkHeart said:

Just noticed on the G4M website that the delivery date has been put back from March 8th to August 8th!! Also had an email confirming this this morning, needless to say my order is cancelled. Shame as I was looking forward to this one.

This is good news as I am trying to behave.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DarkHeart said:

Just had a call from g4m, apparently the colour isn't as bright as it is on the website and can be returned foc if it's not to my satisfaction. That's good to know.

I've already got the idea of a refin. Solid colour might look pretty decent if the wood looks like crap. 

It is here, when the girl on the phone said it wasn't as blue as the pics suggested she wasn't lying..... it's green! It's also quite a nice shade of green so it won't be getting sent back because of the colour. Here it is, yet to plug it in but acoustically the B string sounds good. Fingers crossed!

IMG_20200317_134608.jpg

IMG_20200317_134426.jpg

IMG_20200317_134630.jpg

IMG_20200317_134639.jpg

IMG_20200317_134619.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK so here's the low down after 30 mins.

Very well made, the finish and colour is pretty damned awesome and better than I expected. A few minor finishing details are present, such as untidy pickup routing and loose solder in electronics cavity, and a bit of swirling on the black rear. Came with D'Addario XLs (thats £35 right there) and sounds spot on unplugged. Setup i'll give a moderate rating, neck straight but a couple of buzzing frets high up and intonation is out slightly for high chords. Tuners do their job, would prefer them a little tighter maybe.

Plugged in - it's what I hoped for. Very reminiscent of the Dingwall NG sound (I had one, I can say that) and the pickup pan and passive bypass work a treat. The achilles heel of the bass (and so many other cheap instruments) is the EQ.

It actually sounds OK, the bass/mid/treble do what you'd want and aren't excessive - but there is a background 'fuzz' as the note decays. Go passive and it's not there. I will get some Servisol on the pots in case that is the issue, but I can totally live with it for the price.

For a bass that cost only £299, it compares very well against a bass that costs 6 x as much (Dingwall NG2 6 is currently £1800). 

Obviously this isn't a fair review as it was a very quick review/summary, but still - how the hell does this bass cost 300 quid ? I know Dingwalls are much higher spec and their QC is better, but i'd rather the £1500 change, thanks.

EDIT: It looks from the grain on body/neck that I have the  exact same bass from the Gear4Music Website.

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2020 at 10:03, Machines said:

It actually sounds OK, the bass/mid/treble do what you'd want and aren't excessive - but there is a background 'fuzz' as the note decays. Go passive and it's not there. I will get some Servisol on the pots in case that is the issue

That Servisol did the trick. Now totally quiet. Also given it a thorough setup and it's bang on now. Nothing to gripe about other than the headstock chip I didn't notice straight away, but is also visible on the website photos 🤔.

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1