Why become a member? ×

Cheap Fan Fret

anzoid

Better tension on the B-string I think - though this is only 35.5" compared to Dingwall's 37" on stuff like the AB and NG series.

I've owned a Dingwall and didn't get on with it for a number of reasons - but the fanned fret thing was no problem, barely even registered once you start playing.

Very tempted to try one and report back :D

• Like 2

Interesting, that shorter scale length difference...I'll be interested too, to see how it works out...even less adjustment than a Dingwall, and as you say, that's second nature after a few seconds: I switch between mine and a standard layout mid-gig, and it never even registers.

12 hours ago, anzoid said:

Better tension on the B-string I think - though this is only 35.5" compared to Dingwall's 37" on stuff like the AB and NG series.

I've owned a Dingwall and didn't get on with it for a number of reasons - but the fanned fret thing was no problem, barely even registered once you start playing.

Very tempted to try one and report back :D

The Dingwall Supers are 35” on the B string (32” on the G), so a little closer. Personally I really like the fan on the Supers and have a feeling the 1” difference won’t be enough to sway it for me. Having said that, £170...?!

• 1 year later...

Gear4Music have a new Multiscale out soon, the Coliseum, in 5- and 6=string versions. It looks to me like they've done a much better job with the design overall e.g. I think the shape looks wonky on a stand but makes more sense when being played.

6 hours ago, bnt said:

Gear4Music have a new Multiscale out soon, the Coliseum, in 5- and 6=string versions. It looks to me like they've done a much better job with the design overall e.g. I think the shape looks wonky on a stand but makes more sense when being played.

I like the look of that, but on the video it sounds like someone twanging a ruler on the edge of a table.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, it must be aimed at the Periphery/Nolly fans with the Darkglass rigs, but I hope it’s more versatile than that. The low B on these is 36.25”, meaning detuning is more feasible. I’m considering the 6, just to challenge myself to get more adventurous.

15 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I like the look of that, but on the video it sounds like someone twanging a ruler on the edge of a table.

Sounds like it's downtuned with the wrong gauge strings. That said, they don't look like utter tripe and I am considering a dabble on the 6.

Edited by Machines

19 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I expect a lot of that kind of bass playing for that style of music sounds exactly the same until you put it through the de rigueur DarkGlass signal chain, regardless of the bass.
I'm not trying to be negative, just it seems to me you need a bit more processing to get the best out of the instrument in that genre.

Here's a great example, there's a lot more eq in play and a delicious dose of dirt. I expect you might be able to get close to that sound with the bass above if you had the right outboard gear, and Nolly's chops of course...

Eude

3 hours ago, Machines said:

Sounds like it's downtuned with the wrong gauge strings. That said, they don't look like utter tripe and I am considering a dabble on the 6.

So am I. The price is ridiculously low without having all the hassle of the Alish*tcrap as there will be a full legal warranty... Very tempted to order a sixer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...