Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Stingray Announced at NAMM

drTStingray

Musicman has announced a short scale passive Stingray today.

Includes a neo pick up, rotary coil selector (series, parallel/single coil), volume control (with push pull passive tone control)

Not available here until September though. 

http://blog.music-man.com/instruments/ernie-ball-music-man-new-for-2019/?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=newfromnamm

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Really wanna try one of these!

+1 natural Ash body  with maple neck would be my choice. Probably sounds a little warmer than the full scale big brother with its active preamp.  Looking forward to seeing how the passive sounds.

6 minutes ago, RedVee said:

Brilliant!........I cannot understand how you can have a Bass boost on a Passive system though!

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB3_schematic.php

Here you go, this is how Gibson use to do it. The bass boost on the EB3 was enormous. 

Gibson called it a " Tone choke"

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB3_schematic.php

Here you go, this is how Gibson use to do it. The bass boost on the EB3 was enormous. 

Gibson called it a " Tone choke"

It looks like they have just removed the HPF from the circuit so as to take off the higher frequencies, which I guess is a way of doing it but it's still not a full on Bass boost.

Edited by RedVee

Awesome! I bet this is going to be good. There was a thread just a few weeks back where I mentioned EB should release a shortie, and there it is. I think it’s way overdue, especially when Fender short scales are all usually either made in China or Mexico. Fender also need to make a proper USA shortie. (Maybe the JMJ Mustang was MIA, can’t remember, but they’re usually relegated to the cheap end). Time for short scale basses to step up a notch.

I play regular scale basses but the combination of being short and having to lug gear on public transport means I’m always thinking I should be playing a short scale. I’m well up for trying one of these, I wonder how the scale will affect the tone and feel.

1 hour ago, project_c said:

Awesome! I bet this is going to be good. There was a thread just a few weeks back where I mentioned EB should release a shortie, and there it is. I think it’s way overdue, especially when Fender short scales are all usually either made in China or Mexico. Fender also need to make a proper USA shortie. (Maybe the JMJ Mustang was MIA, can’t remember, but they’re usually relegated to the cheap end). Time for short scale basses to step up a notch.

I play regular scale basses but the combination of being short and having to lug gear on public transport means I’m always thinking I should be playing a short scale. I’m well up for trying one of these, I wonder how the scale will affect the tone and feel.

The JMJ is MIM. I just played one, it is a very nice instrument. 

Yeah, no disrespect meant to MIM basses, they’re really nice but it would be good to see a proper USA short scale Fender, a P or a J maybe. I love the Mustangs but the lack of access to the upper range of the fretboard is a problem. The chinese Jag they released a couple of years ago was much better for that but the neck on that thing felt like it was made of cardboard, it needed adjusting about twice a day. A properly built version of that with stable components would be great.

I like the look of that - I really do. But not for 2000 dollars which won't be far off £2000 this side of the pond. 

I don't want to de-rail this thread, but I saw the comments regarding MIJ Mustangs. I have one of these: www.bax-shop.co.uk/right-handed-bass-guitar/fender-japan-mustang-bass-vintage-white-rw  and it sounds superb in a band setting - noticeably mids-forward, and cuts through very well. I live in Stockport and anybody who wants to come and try it is most welcome.

Steve