Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on short scale basses?

kevvo66

On 14/02/2019 at 08:52, bazzbass said:

I bought one of these, only one bassist of any renown ever played it, 60 years ago. Nobody else of note has ever played one. They still make them today solely because this one person played one.

xqxvdvxo5p9kuk6bzssv.jpg

They are surprisingly playable and the buget ones are still well made.. I would want to add a mute to get the authentic early-macca plop-plop sound though.

On 15/02/2019 at 09:24, bassbiscuits said:

That Lakland looks ace!  What is it?

It's a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody. 30" scale. I bought it off this forum. It's my No. 1 bass. The controls have been modified from V/V/T to V/pan/tone, although I leave the pan in the middle position for 90% of the time. It's a very light bass, and the body contours make it comfy around my beer gut. The neck is 40mm wide at the nut. Although 30" scale, the neck is positioned significantly further "outboard" than either the Mustang or the HB Shorty, making it feel closer to a 32" scale. 

• Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 16:36, BassApprentice said:

If you can find one - Squier Musicmaster Vista. 

Punch far above their weight and are well regarded. My first bass when I was 11 and it won't be going anywhere soon. 

Can't find one at an affordable price, dammit. I've been looking for a while now.

22 hours ago, Grantd said:

I am a huge fan of short scale basses. I have 30" and medium scale basses but now I am fan of 26.5" basses from ACG

• Rob Allen Mouse
  • ACG headless 30"
  • Spector Shorty

and now ACG Micro Krell (26.5")

MK Front.jpg

I've ordered a 26" Ukelele neck to make a custom bass, probably solid body with a piezo pickup and silicon rubber strings.

My bro has a Ukelele bass, sound more like a stand up than any electric, but don't bother trying to bend notes!

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 00:18, Stub Mandrel said:

They are surprisingly playable and the buget ones are still well made.. I would want to add a mute to get the authentic early-macca plop-plop sound though.

good suggestion. I have a set of LaBella Hofner Flats to replace the stock rounds that it came with which will get me pretty close :)

I am trying to remember the correct way to wind strings onto a spindle with the hole halfway up it, wrap once over the string to lock it ?

14 hours ago, bazzbass said:

good suggestion. I have a set of LaBella Hofner Flats to replace the stock rounds that it came with which will get me pretty close :)

I am trying to remember the correct way to wind strings onto a spindle with the hole halfway up it, wrap once over the string to lock it ?

Hmm. I never have done that, on my guitars I always wind neatly below so tension pulls the winds up to help 'lock' the bit that goes through the middle. Never had a wound string slip, but only had flats once (came with the bass and I took them off ASAP)

Oh don't. When I was a kid (late 1970s), my mum bought me a bass and practice amp from a lady over the road for £30.

I thought I was doing well to sell it a few years later for £30 without the amp.

Yup, it was a Musicmaster... a sunburst one... ☹️

edit: Actually, I think it was £40. and £40. ... still > ☹️

Edited by Ricky 4000

I've been gigging shorties constantly for the last 5 years (before that mainly just a P-Bass). I love 'em.. it started with a Dano '63 "reissue" (of a bass that never was) bought on eBay for 120£.. that was followed by CIJ candy apple red competition stripe Mustang (can't remember where)... a Hofner Club... then the newer PJ Mustang and most recently a Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet v1 (with the TV Jones designed PUP) which cost more to import than it did to buy. 

Some have moved on but the Dano, the CIJ Mustang and now the Gretsch all see lots of action - all great basses with different voices and they fit in guitar cases which Easyjet let's you put in the overheads when flying 🙂

• Like 1