Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on short scale basses?

kevvo66

20 minutes ago, tedmanzie said:

Bass Gallery are selling the new Wilcock short scale basses if you fancy spending £1500
https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass-new-arrival/products/wilcock-the-mullarkey-short-scale

£1500? It would need to be made from Unicorn horn and Faberge eggs to be worth that to me. If it is 8 times better than my Ibanez Talman then fair enough. I know , I am a tight git.

On 25/01/2019 at 06:28, kevvo66 said:

Thanks people ,I'll have a look at some shorties over the wknd I've looked at Scott Whitley basses but I'm not sure without playing one , operations on my hands is not a option really as industrial related 

You will not be disappointed with a Chowny SWB-1.  I had one but had to change to a lighter bass because of back problems.  Not that the Chowny is heavy - just my back is delicate!

I now have an Italia Cavo short scale bass with D'Addario flat wounds on it and it is a lovely little bass.

P1020285 (450x800).jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LeftyP said:

You will not be disappointed with a Chowny SWB-1.  I had one but had to change to a lighter bass because of back problems.  Not that the Chowny is heavy - just my back is delicate!

I now have an Italia Cavo short scale bass with D'Addario flat wounds on it and it is a lovely little bass.

P1020285 (450x800).jpg

Ooooh! Pretty!

• Haha 1

An aspect not addressed here is the demographic. The EBs and the Ibby Messo's are for a female audience. Remember Taylor Swift is the new guitar hero... No, really!

They're not for the like of us anachronistic balding fattys…. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, visog said:

An aspect not addressed here is the demographic. The EBs and the Ibby Messo's are for a female audience. Remember Taylor Swift is the new guitar hero... No, really!

They're not for the like of us anachronistic balding fattys…. 

Yeah? Speak for your self! I’m not a balding fa.......

oh, hang on.

As you were

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LeftyP said:

P1020285 (450x800).jpg

That is a beautiful instrument Mr LeftyP. I usually don't like single cutaways but this is an exception. I prefer SS and have a Mustang and Hofner Violin both with La Bella flats. I'm interested in your opinion regarding the D'Addario flats. I think I'll have to find a retailer and go and have a try out. Good review:

Edited by grandad
mispelling

On 26/01/2019 at 20:25, LeftyP said:

You will not be disappointed with a Chowny SWB-1.  I had one but had to change to a lighter bass because of back problems.  Not that the Chowny is heavy - just my back is delicate.

I bought a Chowny,  and found it too small, physically ,  wierd.    Sold it within months, aren't they conjuring  up some 32" scale stuff ?

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the 80s I was at a studio and spent an afternoon jamming with a short scale Mustang bass. I had great fun.

Last week saw a  Squier Jaguar SS bass and it was just as much fun, plus it's a gorgeous candy apple red so I accidentally bought it. Sounded a bit flat through a fender rumble in the shop, but i got it home and put it through my Orange crush practice amp it sounds really nice, especially the P-pickup!

Tempted to add a p-bass ashtray (A J bass one is overpowering) and maybe even add the full jaguar chrome plates and an active tone circuit

Jaguar.thumb.JPG.d373629b03295e04b8d379dbf0fb2e72.JPG

• Like 2

I learn't to play on a Framus Star bass, 30" , fifty years ago, and played that for 5 or 6 years. Started playing again 8 years ago and now have a few short scales. Can't get on with long ones. I now have a bit of arthritus and can still play because you can move the bass around a bit to adjust your hand position. I mainly use an Ibanez AGBV 200 which works for me.

On 26/01/2019 at 20:25, LeftyP said:

P1020285 (450x800).jpg

That is beautiful. And my favorite colour. I feel a session with the debit card is in order.

2 hours ago, kevvo66 said:

I've just acquired a hohner baron bass short scale need a bit of tlc and another cheapie short scale bass I'll put some pics on later ,what string does everyone use just a thought really

For short scale you cant go wrong with D'Addario. If you want more tension in the strings go for a heavier gauge.

On 24/01/2019 at 20:55, kevvo66 said:

Ok people I have a on going problem with hands /fingers ,I posted a thread a few years back on this subject .it's a condition called hand held vibration,or havs or white finger it's brought about by using heavy plant with my job,now I've been looking at short scale basses ,I currently own all long scale basses but unfortunately I think the times come to swap ,only thing that worries me is I love my j bass and my p the others I could live without .I know  macca and the late great jack Bruce used shorties in their carears ,I've tried a couple didn't like them any recommendations on a decent one which will be a seriously good one and will give me what I'm after sound wise,cheers 

Hi there. I have 3 short scale 30 " basses: Lakland hollowbody, Fender MIJ Mustang, pimped Harley Benton Shorty. I'm not sure whether I've previously said this, but if you'd like to pop round any time to try any one out - just let me know. I'm in Stockport.

100_0949.thumb.JPG.ad8ef7986ff6106184a35801b44281ac.JPG

• Like 3

20 hours ago, solo4652 said:

Hi there. I have 3 short scale 30 " basses: Lakland hollowbody, Fender MIJ Mustang, pimped Harley Benton Shorty. I'm not sure whether I've previously said this, but if you'd like to pop round any time to try any one out - just let me know. I'm in Stockport.

100_0949.thumb.JPG.ad8ef7986ff6106184a35801b44281ac.JPG

That Lakland looks ace!  What is it?

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:55, kevvo66 said:

I love my j bass and my p the others I could live without .any recommendations on a decent one which will be a seriously good one and will give me what I'm after sound wise,cheers 

I too was dubious about the 'ability' of short scale basses, they do feel different not better, not worse just different, in a band context no one will hear a difference, from my own experiences..

A Fender MIJ Mustang - is great, but I couldn't love mine - I detested the PJ PU configuration and higher fret access isn't great - I sold mine.

A Supro Huntington II - Will cover all P and J Bass sonic territory - I dropped one of John's (KiOgon) wiring looms in mine, which added to its flexibility -  I still own it.

My personal favourite is a Spector CTB - A bass that I just love - different in tone to the P and J Bass, (but to my ears sensational), so doesn't aide your quest.

I have a Serek Midwestern II Incoming later this year - because I deserve it - watch this space.

I briefly owned a short scale custom built Mensinger Joker - an expensive mistake.

There are a couple of short scale Spectors in the classified at the moment - both of which would be of interest if it wasn't for the Serek. 

Glad you are liking short scales kevvo, they do get addictive.

I have fitted all my short scales with Newtone Platinum Nickel on round core which have a nice tension (50 -110 gauge) and produce less finger noise due to the extra windings. If I was after something brighter I would probably try the same strings in stainless steel.