Why become a member? ×

NAMM 2019

Quatschmacher

Well done sir, I nearly started one yesterday but got distracted and forgot.

A couple of things caught my eye; 

The new Fender Bass Preamp designed by Alex Aguilar (the man behind the original Aguilar amps/preamps)

The new £600 Ireland made Sheeran acoustics by Lowden Guitars. Can’t say I’m  a massive Ed Sheeran fan, but a £600 Irish built Lowden acoustic has to be worth a try.

1 minute ago, skidder652003 said:

how to make a webpage pretty much unnavigable! Hope the products better!

Yeah, today is the first time I've looked at it via PC - the horizontal scrolling is a PITA. It's not that great on mobile either. The product will rock. I had a Minitaur but found the range limitation really frustrating; this solves that. Even though I have other synths, I'm tempted by this and it looks really cool.

26 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Couldn't see one so thought I'd start one. Loads of cool stuff already announced, starting with this:

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/sirin-analog-messenger-joy

"Limited Edition of 2500" after which no more will be made.

Only the finest weapons-grade marketing cow poop for Moog, I see.

If they sell 2500 of these, what chance they'll respond to requests from dealers with: Oh no, we couldn't POSSibly make any more, after all, we promised ...

• Like 1

Just now, Happy Jack said:

"Limited Edition of 2500" after which no more will be made.

Only the finest weapons-grade marketing cow poop for Moog, I see.

If they sell 2500 of these, what chance they'll respond to requests from dealers with: Oh no, we couldn't POSSibly make any more, after all, we promised ...

Quite likely, actually. They often do limited runs of stuff (Minimoog D reissue, Subsequent 37 CV, Little Phatty tribute edition).

5 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Quite likely, actually. They often do limited runs of stuff (Minimoog D reissue, Subsequent 37 CV, Little Phatty tribute edition).

Interesting, didn't know about that so I went looking.

https://www.factmag.com/2017/06/28/moog-minimoog-model-d-reissue-discontinued/

Not so much a planned Limited Edition as undercut by cheaper alternatives after the first run was finished so they quit while they were ahead. Sensible business practice.

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Interesting, didn't know about that so I went looking.

https://www.factmag.com/2017/06/28/moog-minimoog-model-d-reissue-discontinued/

Not so much a planned Limited Edition as undercut by cheaper alternatives after the first run was finished so they quit while they were ahead. Sensible business practice.

Actually, part of the reason the run of the Model D finished so soon was because demand for the reissue was so high. They ran out after a year when they'd expected to be building them over a few years.

Edited by Quatschmacher

19 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Actually, part of the reason the run of the Model D finished so soon was because demand for the reissue was so high. They ran out after a year when they'd expected to be building them over a few years.

So not because Behringer brought out their model D clone at a fraction a Moog's price?

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

So not because Behringer brought out their model D clone at a fraction a Moog's price?

Completely different market. I don't think anyone who really wanted the reissue would have changed their mind when the Behringer came out. The Moog is a thing of beauty. I owned a Behringer D for a bit; it sounded really good, though the oscillators drift a lot compared to the Moog. I ultimately returned it due to a problem with the modulation section where the pitch got sent a semitone sharp when it shouldn't have. If a Moog D come up at a reasonable price then I'll get one. Annoyingly one came up just as I was about to move house so I couldn't spare the cash then. Now that I can, I haven't seen one. (There's one on ebay but it's priced above what it cost new.)

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

...checks to see he's actually on Basschat with all this filthy synth chat... :whoopass:

Although, to be fair, bass isn't only about string bass or guitar based. I'm a drummer, for instance, and play a bass drum (among others...).
Although, to be fair, too, that synth demo sounded much like a cross between rubbing an inflated balloon with one's fingers and the farting of a dray horse. I'll not be investing; I'm out. :|

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Although, to be fair, bass isn't only about string bass or guitar based. I'm a drummer, for instance, and play a bass drum (among others...).
Although, to be fair, too, that synth demo sounded much like a cross between rubbing an inflated balloon with one's fingers and the farting of a dray horse. I'll not be investing; I'm out. :|

Do bear in mind that synths are capable of a vast array of sounds both musical and unmusical (I’m primarily interested in them for bass sounds) so one demo might not necessarily show of the features or sounds you personally would be interested in.