Why become a member? ×

Future Impact Re-housing Project

GisserD

I'm officially taking orders for the Future compact. If you emailed me already you should have received an email by now with the details on ow to make an order.

If you want to make an order please email to [email protected] with "future impact rehousing" in the subject to express your interest, and ill let you know how to order.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, GisserD said:

So I've been looking into this today, and i dont think its going to work. Not really.

The thing is... due to the way the circuit board is internally right against the wall, i cant recess the footswitches like i can on the sides. so the switches will have to stick out further, which elongates the footprint almost to the point where you could just have them sticking out the top like the 1st "Future compact" design. so it kind of makes this variant redundant. The only reason to have the switches there would be to have it on the front row of the board, and therefore operated by the toe. But i don't want to dictate where people put a pedal, so it's not realy a valid reason.

Therefore I will be sticking to the side loaded switches for the super compact.

Thanks for giving this a go. 

Cool, but I see what you mean about them sticking out. Kicking the switch could also lead to trouble, like kicking the encoder clean off! Good call on the side mount. Cant wait to get mine. The FI has always forced some compromises due to its size so a board review is coming soon. Really want to get down to a metro 20 from my jr. 

1 minute ago, Finbar said:

I’m not keen on the front switches - I think it eliminates almost all of the space saving from just keeping the slightly larger enclosure. Side seems more reasonable from that point of view :)

yep.

On 01/02/2019 at 15:30, GisserD said:

So I've been looking into this today, and i dont think its going to work. Not really.

The thing is... due to the way the circuit board is internally right against the wall, i cant recess the footswitches like i can on the sides. so the switches will have to stick out further, which elongates the footprint almost to the point where you could just have them sticking out the top like the 1st "Future compact" design. so it kind of makes this variant redundant. The only reason to have the switches there would be to have it on the front row of the board, and therefore operated by the toe. But i don't want to dictate where people put a pedal, so it's not realy a valid reason.

Therefore I will be sticking to the side loaded switches for the super compact.

Just now, Finbar said:

I’m not keen on the front switches - I think it eliminates almost all of the space saving from just keeping the slightly larger enclosure. Side seems more reasonable from that point of view :)

I haven't said anything yet... but I don't get the side switches either. Am I missing something, but not being able to push it up close to an adjacent pedal on a pedal board seems to miss the point. And front kicking a pedal board seems a bit of a nightmare if you have a strong foot and light pedal board... or am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I haven't said anything yet... but I don't get the side switches either. Am I missing something, but not being able to push it up close to an adjacent pedal on a pedal board seems to miss the point. And front kicking a pedal board seems a bit of a nightmare if you have a strong foot and light pedal board... or am I missing something?

Im offering 2 different designs. Both of which will appeal to very different types of pedalboard.

1.The future compact (top switches) will appeal to most. this is just a smaller version of th FI. 

2. The super compact appeals to those who use a midi switcher and seldom need access to the switches at all!! Therefore having them tight against another pedal isn't really an issue. If the user chooses to they could just leave the switches inside the housing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Finbar said:

I mean I’m not the biggest fan of side switches either, but as the project is for strictly rehousing and not modding, I understand the choice when it comes to the aim of getting the smallest possible form factor. 

OP stated -

"So i formulated a plan to Design and 3D print an enclosure, into which i can re-house the innards of the Future impact, to make a much more pedalboard friendly footprint."

So I'm now completely lost. 

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

OP stated -

"So i formulated a plan to Design and 3D print an enclosure, into which i can re-house the innards of the Future impact, to make a much more pedalboard friendly footprint."

So I'm now completely lost. 

It’s evolved along the way. The FC archives the original aim and the other is just another option for fun

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GisserD said:

2. The super compact appeals to those who use a midi switcher and seldom need access to the switches at all!! Therefore having them tight against another pedal isn't really an issue. If the user chooses to they could just leave the switches inside the housing. 

I don't get this either - you aren't saving any space (the other existing knobs are making the unit the height that it is anyway),  or gaining ease of function?

PS not being awkward, I'm just failing to see the benefit of the front or side mounted buttons... and wanting to know if I'm not seeing something that other people are.

8 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Correct if I am wrong but aren’t the side switches there as a personal preference to use your hands to change with it at desk height?

Makes compete sense that way to tinker with out having to bend over

i haven't really considered desktop use at all on the basis that there's usually not a premium for space on a desk.

The important thing to note here is that the side mounted buttons will only ever  be pressed by hand. and very rarely by users that switch with midi. (like me)

Edited by GisserD

2 minutes ago, ped said:

It’s evolved along the way. The FC archives the original aim and the other is just another option for fun

I read through the thread again and it just seemed to tangent and I didn't really understand why. OK. I'm up to speed again on that front.. just confused still! 😛

5 minutes ago, ped said:

this .

If you don't like side buttons, then its OK. because i designed another one with top buttons.

The Super compact is basically the one that is custom designed for my setup.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2019 at 18:52, GisserD said:

One of the features i haven't really spoken much about is the Detent tab on the parameter dial. It's a subtle feature, but makes the parameter dial soooo much more user friendly!

Thats is good news it certainly isn't user friendly by default.

On another point should we have received any confirmation regarding the orders yet? 

30 minutes ago, Hugsonic said:

Thats is good news it certainly isn't user friendly by default.

On another point should we have received any confirmation regarding the orders yet? 

i hadn't even thought about that! ill get a confirmation email to everybody today!

Thanks

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

i hadn't even thought about that! ill get a confirmation email to everybody today!

Thanks

Everybody that has placed an order should have now received confirmation via their paypal email address.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Hugsonic said:

Hows this going Im itching to free up some space? 

Printing :)

The first shipments will be made tomorrow!

I apologise its taken a little longer than expected for a few reasons. I can actually only print 4 at a time instead of 6. And the indent tap development has been a tricky issue to solve, but the additional ball bearing has solved the issue. 

Thanks for your patience. 

15506903352553710798456665236915.thumb.jpg.5335a8587005f4eb32c00696a6fcb5bd.jpg

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 3