Why become a member? ×

Future Impact Re-housing Project

GisserD

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

Ok. So I've been working on a variant of this design that reduces the size by another 17mm....

I call it the "super compact"!!!

Granted there may not be much demand for this version.... But it's the one I will put on my board as I control via ES8.

length is now 82mm from 154mm, that's a reduction of 46%

The trade-off is that the switches are now only operated by hand! And protrude a small distance from the side of the pedal. 

I will be offering both designs for those that want one.

DSC_0790.thumb.JPG.7c986c30074fd2bff3c48beb60b2c709.JPG

DSC_0791.thumb.JPG.4b4fd35c457aa2383a26f55369f9f11b.JPG

DSC_0792.thumb.JPG.3f6c533e2efc1550e811233559c17e25.JPG

DSC_0793.thumb.JPG.d7b2de7c72da13078245ec51b1b92559.JPG

DSC_0794.thumb.JPG.55642ce6d234f4f87bc5b7e96961610c.JPG

Just a thought. Would it work with the buttons on the front. The nice thing about the top mounted jacks is that you can cozy your pedals up. Also you could activate it with a kick if it was at the front of the board. I use a Soleman so in your camp but wondered if you had considered this option. Im guessing you have based on your effort so far. 

21 minutes ago, itu said:

I wrote my dissertation on particulate polution back in the 90s. These little buggers will get right down into your lungs and some will probably stay there and get upto mischief. Fair warning, open the window!

3 hours ago, GisserD said:

EVOLUTION!!!!

DSC_0795.thumb.JPG.06568b2a0222c24750492f4d5b4bf8ce.JPG

Only things I’d suggest is moving the “prog.” text up so it is in line with the “on/off” text and making sure the fonts of those two labels are the same size (prog appears bigger in the photo).

Edited by Quatschmacher

And please redo the pic with the pedals the other way around. Evolution is always left to right!

Besides parallax makes the left pedal look almost as big as the original!! 

Looking forward to the Mastotron blue with white lettering version. That's gonna be uber cool 😎 

11 hours ago, Hugsonic said:

Just a thought. Would it work with the buttons on the front. The nice thing about the top mounted jacks is that you can cozy your pedals up. Also you could activate it with a kick if it was at the front of the board. I use a Soleman so in your camp but wondered if you had considered this option. Im guessing you have based on your effort so far. 

Thanks for your input!

Yes i had considered the front but ended up choosing the sides from a usability perspective and to make the housing as short as possible... but it was a close call!

After thinking about it again, i guess the trend is towards top mounted jacks for space saving purposes, which very much fits the theme of this project, so i think i've decided to put the switches on the bottom now!

Thanks

9 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Only things I’d suggest is moving the “prog.” text up so it is in line with the “on/off” text and making sure the fonts of those two labels are the same size (prog appears bigger in the photo).

good spot. 

I'm on it :)

1 minute ago, ped said:

For my use I’d prefer no footswitches, instead some finger friendly buttons would be better. 

do you mean change the switches?

I wanted to keep the internals unmodified so its not only easy to reassemble, but also easy to revert back to the original housing for resale etc.

I just mean that I’d have the FI on my desk and turn it in and off with my hand rather than stepping on it so rather than footswitches I’d prefer a button I can press, although some footswitches buttons are ok to press by hand. Probably a faff to change though

Just now, Quatschmacher said:

Also, just another thought: since the buttons are now at the sides, might you want to rotate the text 90 degrees (opposite direction for both so that the bottom of the letters are nearest the pedal’s edges)?

see post 8 minutes ago...

3 minutes ago, ped said:

I just mean that I’d have the FI on my desk and turn it in and off with my hand rather than stepping on it so rather than footswitches I’d prefer a button I can press, although some footswitches buttons are ok to press by hand. Probably a faff to change though

certainly beyond the scope of this project, but if you can find some buttons suitable, and are confident with a sildering iron, you could probably fit them above the circuit board on the top face.

There's about 9mm in there i'm not using :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I did, it didn’t mention anything about text rotation though so I thought I’d mention it explicitly.

i'm pretty much convinced now that the buttons should be on the lower side, as opposed to the side sides.

• Like 1

Have you considered mounting two jack sockets to the box instead of switches? Then you can have a separate box that is used just for the switches? This means the FI could be tucked anywhere in a pedal board and doesn’t have to be accessible with a foot. The only important thing then is just the screen?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Yes I considered it but I wouldn't shift too many of those! 

I'm happy to do a custom switch housing build for someone tho if that's what you want. 

It would be super easy to do the wiring.

That would work for me!

This is brilliant. Makes me think about buying a Future Impact again, having sold one last year!

Will you be offering these in the future, or are you planning to make up a set number and when they’re gone, they’re gone?

Another vote from me for remote switching connected via jacks - the number of times I stepped on that damn encoder!

9 minutes ago, reesource said:

This is brilliant. Makes me think about buying a Future Impact again, having sold one last year!

Will you be offering these in the future, or are you planning to make up a set number and when they’re gone, they’re gone?

Another vote from me for remote switching connected via jacks - the number of times I stepped on that damn encoder!

i will be offering them for sale very soon!

email to [email protected] with "future impact rehousing" in the subject to express your interest and ill let you know as soon as im accepting orders.

Orders will be made on a 1st come 1st served basis. I intend to make as many as people want in the first month, then i will print a few batches and that will be that.

Edited by GisserD

1 minute ago, GisserD said:

yes i have already decided to move the knobs to the front for other reasons. And that's another reason to do so. Thanks

I should have read the thread, saw you had mentioned it already. 

Just think how much air is in other pedals? :)

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

yes i have already decided to move the knobs to the front for other reasons. And that's another reason to do so. Thanks

So I've been looking into this today, and i dont think its going to work. Not really.

The thing is... due to the way the circuit board is internally right against the wall, i cant recess the footswitches like i can on the sides. so the switches will have to stick out further, which elongates the footprint almost to the point where you could just have them sticking out the top like the 1st "Future compact" design. so it kind of makes this variant redundant. The only reason to have the switches there would be to have it on the front row of the board, and therefore operated by the toe. But i don't want to dictate where people put a pedal, so it's not realy a valid reason.

Therefore I will be sticking to the side loaded switches for the super compact.

Edited by GisserD