Why become a member? ×

Future Impact Re-housing Project

GisserD

50 minutes ago, GisserD said:

That would be cool! unfortunately i've come to the realisation that nothing can protrude from the upper surface, unless it is bonded on. Its printed upside down, and so putting features on the top surface is raising the height of the whole print and adding a lot of extra support material/cost in the process

What if the “hinge” is on the flip lid and the part into which it clips is recessed into the surface of the pedal enclosure. Probably easier for me to draw than describe but am not near pen and paper. 

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Version 2 in progress.

cad4.JPG.9857bcc0ade8c876cadf11a015041de7.JPG

Updates include:

Local thickness around features increase from 3mm to 4mm for stiffness/strength

Reduced length by an additional 2.5mm to 98.5mm

Moving the foot switches into the corners - after many hours thinking about this, i feel this is the best location for them if they remain on the top.

Addition of parameter detents- a seperate part will clip to the underside of the parameter knob and allow for indexing. 

Screen recess to allow for cover

branding :) (thanks @ped)

Good work. I’d also thought spreading the knobs to the edge of the pedal might be good. Good job on the detente if it works, that’ll be wicked. 

1 hour ago, oZZma said:

Don't you need to shield a non-metal enclosure? 

Its not "needed", but its probably advised to keep noise to a minimum. Although i understand that digital pedals suffer less than analogue ones. May be wrong here though.

Regardless, its costs very little to actually do should anybody choose that route.

5 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Its not "needed", but its probably advised to keep noise to a minimum. Although i understand that digital pedals suffer less than analogue ones. May be wrong here though.

Regardless, its costs very little to actually do should anybody choose that route.

I'm really interested because I see that aluminum enclosures are quite expensive compared to pedal components (except for "rare" germanium diodes and stuff like this) and it's annoying to spend more for the enclosure than for the circuit 

I wonder if 3d printing the enclosures could be more cost-effective on a small scale (not a company but only building for yourself & friends) than buying them

3d printers have become quite cheap nowadays

For analogue pedals shielding would Be advisable I think

Beta V3 is complete.

Hopefully I can finalise the design today and I'll be able to print a batch this weekend.

If anybody wants one, send an email to [email protected] with "future impact Housing" in the subject. Let me know where you are so I can calculate postage.

DSC_0766.thumb.JPG.9f647022c4f071ba4da9b94ff0f48e36.JPG

Updates include:

lettering/labels - added, but not totally happy with the definition. im working on it

Internal screen protect - not sure yet if i'm going to fit a screen protector for shipping as its an easy fit if you want to put one on. I actually prefer it off as the numbers are brighter.

small internal feature changes for better fit - No more fiddly wiggly assembly.

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 6

I can read OUTPUT, but does it really say INTPUT in the upper right corner?

This project is excellent, like the way you have been opening the box and found a new way to reduce the footprint. I think that some shielding would be in order to make it quiet to both directions, in and out.

9 minutes ago, itu said:

This project is excellent, like the way you have been opening the box and found a new way to reduce the footprint. I think that some shielding would be in order to make it quiet to both directions, in and out.

Yeah the lettering is the main focus ATM. Getting it clearer is my priority. Im playing with some of the first layer print settings today to see if i can get more definition between the letters. The printer relies upon squishing the 1st layer into the bed for adhesion, this also has the effect of smudging the letters. .... but im on it :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Great work, fella.

Would something as simple as aluminium foil work to provide shielding?

Starts to become a bit more labour intensive, though.

My testing shows no additional noise with my setup. However, i cannot guarantee that in your environment, with your power supply, that there won't be additional noise from interference. 

If you want to do it yourself, shielding foil only costs a few pounds and you'll get enough to do many many projects.

The additional labour it would take to shield them all is unrealistic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itu said:

Good catch.