Why become a member? ×

Future Impact Re-housing Project

GisserD

Some of you might find this useful/interesting.....

When i opened up my future impact pedal out of curiosity to see what was inside, i was shocked to find mostly (continental brand) fresh air!  Here you can see that the lower half of the pedal is almost exactly, approximately an MXR BEF worth of space!!

DSC_0732.thumb.jpg.4759c9e3a7c395a04c439691a410547b.jpg

So i formulated a plan to Design and 3D print an enclosure, into which i can re-house the innards of the Future impact, to make a much more pedalboard friendly footprint. 

I began by removing the knobs from the outside and the circuit boards from the inside of the case

DSC_0735.thumb.jpg.19b18ef1488663a9c4b192c6c808b703.jpgDSC_0734.thumb.jpg.69fdf578545af860438897f48e53cdfe.jpg

I then laser scanned the inside of the case to generate an STL that can be used to replicate the Mounting features/holes in the new design.

DSC_0736.thumb.jpg.b35c609aabdfa2ae073b47b821da1c76.jpgDSC_0741.thumb.jpg.3c95b2dba34581759a82a58ea93a959b.jpg

I copied all of the internal/external features from the STL, but moved the foot switches as close to the circuit board as i could on the inside.

CAD1.thumb.jpg.06935216351dee9fdd7b25d1b2454846.jpgcad2.thumb.jpg.b34e9ac8945bbafce076834d117ed917.jpgcad3.thumb.jpg.1552e6bfbf614a63613d88d16732a34e.jpg

I didn't put in any small holes for the screws, as i thought these would be better aligned using the actual circuit boards as a template.

I printed the 1st Prototype ove night last night and assembled it this morning. Everything went together great and still functioned perfectly. 

DSC_0747.thumb.jpg.d9d4ad53819c6c47a5bff1ef8b7c9972.jpg

I was able to reduce the length of the enclosure from 155mm to 101mm, and i think there's room for further improvement on that.

DSC_0743.thumb.jpg.9d537b4891dde901fc7af7c0b58c49ce.jpgDSC_0742.thumb.jpg.8d68b7b498b141f5638b24f2a2773d98.jpg

The finished prototype unit.

DSC_0749.thumb.jpg.79cb74abab828931b6e32477b242d5eb.jpg

And here it is re-installed on the board.

DSC_0750.thumb.jpg.e7d1f919d6ffb6ee40ee5c7bf73cb16b.jpgDSC_0752.thumb.jpg.e3a732dda479e35a07bbb5d40b6a5469.jpg

I plan to tweak the design and print another next week if i get a chance. Some of the changes will include reducing the length of the housing even further, moving the on/off switch more central to get it away from the encoder, adding a feature to recess display protector of some kind, branding/lettering.

I'm open to suggestions for additional improvements. For now, its printed in PLA, but once the design is finalises, ill be printing it it Black Nylon which will stand up to pedalboard life a bit better.

Once the design is complete, im happy to share the STL so you can print it yourselves, or £ven print a few and ship them out to those interested.

*Any FI owners that's capable of cool graphic designs can have one for free if they develop the artwork :) (2 colors)

Edited by GisserD
my spelling sux
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ped said:

The Future Compact.

Great name, do you mind if i use that?

7 minutes ago, ped said:

I wish it could be battery powered

Technically it can be.... a 9v battery can be wired up, but i couldn't say how long it would last...

10 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Given it's 3D printed, could you have a meteor crater modelled into the fascia, @GisserD?

Yes, ill give that some thought....

one idea to protect the encoder was to put some kind of wall below it/around it.... this could potentially be a meteor!

• Like 1

Just now, GisserD said:

Yes, ill give that some thought....

one idea to protect the encoder was to put some kind of wall below it/around it.... this could potentially be a meteor!

That was my idea too. Obviously you need to get Mexico to pay for it and shut the government down until your demands are met.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Another idea: instead of relocating the RH stomp switch, what if you angled the portion of the surface on which they sit towards the player so that one's foot wouldn't hit the encoder when pressing them?

i thaught about this, but anything beyond 45 degrees would put the switch at risk of being ripped out the housing. The problem isnt the angle, its the proximity. I think its either got to be moved.... or the encoder guarded.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GisserD said:

i thaught about this, but anything beyond 45 degrees would put the switch at risk of being ripped out the housing. The problem isnt the angle, its the proximity. I think its either got to be moved.... or the encoder guarded.

If the wall doesn't work then one of those roll bars could do the job, it could even be molded. It would stop a foot touching it whilst allowing access by fingers.

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

I wonder if the font could be one of those that is different depending on which angle it is viewed from then it could say Future Impact/Future Compact depending on viewing angle.

that's way beyond my scope of work im afraid!

But like i said, im happy to give someone a free one if they come up with a cool graphic!

You're very clever Mr Gisser. (No seriously, that was genuine and from a bloke who HAS bought you a beer...)

Now can we please discuss dUg Pinnick please? I like it when those thread police turn up with their blue flashy light things...

• Sad 1

Version 2 in progress.

cad4.JPG.9857bcc0ade8c876cadf11a015041de7.JPG

Updates include:

Local thickness around features increase from 3mm to 4mm for stiffness/strength

Reduced length by an additional 2.5mm to 98.5mm

Moving the foot switches into the corners - after many hours thinking about this, i feel this is the best location for them if they remain on the top.

Addition of parameter detents- a seperate part will clip to the underside of the parameter knob and allow for indexing. 

Screen recess to allow for cover

branding :) (thanks @ped)

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, ped said:

What about one of those red switch flip covers, make it look like an improvised explosive device 

That would be cool! unfortunately i've come to the realisation that nothing can protrude from the upper surface, unless it is bonded on. Its printed upside down, and so putting features on the top surface is raising the height of the whole print and adding a lot of extra support material/cost in the process

• Like 1