Why become a member? ×

New Squier Classic Vibes for pre-order at Thomann

Jono Bolton

3 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-squier-overhauls-classic-vibe-series/?fbclid=IwAR2695icsjO-W75daV40TU4LPlKc2rehHuB8TBe17lM5AH01976n1VbTvv8

These seem to be budget CVs (similar to VMs) made now in Indonesia so maybe not the quality and playability of the supurb Chinese range.

Yep - 'Crafted in Indonesia'.  They're on the Fender website, here's the back of the new 60's P-Bass headstock:

203219887_NewCV.thumb.JPG.13b5b3e8f64f631f662046a5ef23e72b.JPG

Edited by LewisK1975
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, zranyard said:

Ah that's a shame, I'm sure they'll be excellent for the money but I'll try and get an older second hand cv, the 70's ones go for around 200 second-hand. 

Not sure about that; the second-hand prices have shot up over the last couple of years. If you mean the 70s P Bass, that's still available to buy in shops so the second-hand value might be lower, but for the discontinued models you're easily looking at £300 if you sell in the right place. I reckon the 70s P Bass, and all the current CV models will be discounted in the next few months.

1 hour ago, Jono Bolton said:

Not sure about that; the second-hand prices have shot up over the last couple of years. If you mean the 70s P Bass, that's still available to buy in shops so the second-hand value might be lower, but for the discontinued models you're easily looking at £300 if you sell in the right place. I reckon the 70s P Bass, and all the current CV models will be discounted in the next few months.

Yeah I'm talking about the black 70's one with blocks. Looks like they won't be around much longer! If you don't mind me asking, where is that sonic blue one you mentioned in a shop in Glasgow? 

Same for me; it's a bit disappointing to see that they're merging the VM & CV lines but keeping them all under the Classic Vibe banner. The Matt Freeman P Bass is made by the same factory as the CVs and the neck on mine is probably the best I've played. I'll definitely give them a look when they come out but I doubt I'll be buying. Andertons has them for pre-order with delivery expected in March.

+1. I have a Matt Freeman bass and any other neck doesn't feel as good. Awesome value for money when these and the CVs came out. It's not going anywhere. (The other bass has long gone...)

IMAG0066.jpg

All 3 of my basses I currently own were made in Indonesia (one of them being a Squier VM Precision) and they're all great instruments, so I'd reserve judgement on build quality etc until I'd get my hands on one.

That said, for the money, these are getting close to second hand MIM Fenders. I saw a very nice MIM Precision for sale yesterday on Facebook for £350. If I were in the market for a Jazz, then I'd probably go for a Sire V3, which are about £70 cheaper and great quality.

in the six string world (forgive me!) the word on the street is that the chinese made CV models are being continued with no changes. All the models which were previously branded "vintage modified" and made in indonesia, are getting tweaked and re-branded.

Not saying this is true as anything could happen- but the availability of the current chinese made CV models may not be effected. Yet........ if anyone knows different I'm all ears.

I too love the look of those black 70's cv precisions 😎

• 3 weeks later...

Needed a cheaper backup bass so I’ve just put an Aguilar AG4P-60 pickup and the 3TSB ‘60s Precision in the basket. Less than £450 all in is a bargain IMO. Shipping is towards end of February atm. I’m pretty intrigued to see how that Yanny fingerboard plays... if it’s decent, I think I’ll also get the fretless J!

• 5 months later...
On 02/08/2019 at 15:32, rasher80 said:

Does the Hi-Mass Fender bridge fit on the new classic vibes does anyone know?

Should do. The older CV basses had a high mass bridge with slightly wider screw spacing than usual, but the new ones seem to be the standard BBOT bridge so the hi-mass bridge should drop straight in.

On 25/01/2019 at 19:16, Mister RLP said:

+1. I have a Matt Freeman bass and any other neck doesn't feel as good. Awesome value for money when these and the CVs came out. It's not going anywhere. (The other bass has long gone...)

IMAG0066.jpg

Ditto! Many basses have come and gone, but that Freeman neck is sooo nice ( for me anyways) it ain't going anywhere,if anyone has the chance to buy one do it! .......although I've changed every bit of hardware, pickups, wiring and a cheeky logo 😄 IMG_20190510_210932.thumb.jpg.a83c823317380f41120bd23e164eba6f.jpg

• Like 3

Being a left hander options are always limited, but when this range was revamped I really took a shine to the CV 70s Jazz in black. I thought it had a beautifully sleek look and I've always wanted a bound/block necked Jazz in a solid colour. I had the chance when I bought my last decent bass from Guitar Emporium, put plumped for a '62 PB instead of the '75 JB and then the wonderful Fender Japan instruments ceased to exist.

I took a visit to a local nationwide guitar shop who had one in stock. It was superficially fine but it had a broken tuner on it which hadn't been noticed. A bit of a shame but they said they'd order me one in. Whilst I was there I tried out the 60s P and was quite surprised by how good it sounded and felt - easily as nice as the Japanese one I sold when I gave up live playing.

Collected the 2nd Jazz over the weekend, and when I got it home the bridge had been put on it so clumsily, so it looked like this:

Was not impressed so took it back to the store and swapped it for the 60s P which I'm absolutely loving. Really shocking QC from the factory on this one. Really disappointed. I think me and 70s Fenders aren't to be 😏

Capture.PNG

45 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

Being a left hander options are always limited, but when this range was revamped I really took a shine to the CV 70s Jazz in black. I thought it had a beautifully sleek look and I've always wanted a bound/block necked Jazz in a solid colour. I had the chance when I bought my last decent bass from Guitar Emporium, put plumped for a '62 PB instead of the '75 JB and then the wonderful Fender Japan instruments ceased to exist.

I took a visit to a local nationwide guitar shop who had one in stock. It was superficially fine but it had a broken tuner on it which hadn't been noticed. A bit of a shame but they said they'd order me one in. Whilst I was there I tried out the 60s P and was quite surprised by how good it sounded and felt - easily as nice as the Japanese one I sold when I gave up live playing.

Collected the 2nd Jazz over the weekend, and when I got it home the bridge had been put on it so clumsily, so it looked like this:

Was not impressed so took it back to the store and swapped it for the 60s P which I'm absolutely loving. Really shocking QC from the factory on this one. Really disappointed. I think me and 70s Fenders aren't to be 😏

Capture.PNG

I worked in a music shop late 70s as a yoof. To be fair that is period correct for a lot of Fenders output at the time.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, rasher80 said:

Capture.PNG

This can usually be easily remedied - loosen the neck screws a little and give the neck a pull sideways whichever direction is needed to correct it, and re-tighten.  Not uncommon for this to happen when stuff is transported around the world.  I had it on a Mex Geddy Lee Jazz.  Took me 30 seconds to sort it.

• Like 2

Ive still got my original CV P and CV jazz. Both lovely basses, brought within a year of them coming out. For me the best thing about them is the neck. In fact the neck from the Jazz has been on a few basses ive brought since getting that, although it has spent most of its time on the CV P.

I had a VM bass for a while a few years ago and the quality was noticeably inferior, although nothing to worry about at that price. it just felt cheaper (which of course it was).

Both my CV basses have Gotoh 201 bridges on them, and neither needed re drilling etc.

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive still got my original CV P and CV jazz. Both lovely basses, brought within a year of them coming out. For me the best thing about them is the neck. In fact the neck from the Jazz has been on a few basses ive brought since getting that, although it has spent most of its time on the CV P.

I had a VM bass for a while a few years ago and the quality was noticeably inferior, although nothing to worry about at that price. it just felt cheaper (which of course it was).

Both my CV basses have Gotoh 201 bridges on them, and neither needed re drilling etc.

Mine has a gotoh 201 as well, easy fit and a great bridge