Why become a member? ×

New Squier Classic Vibes for pre-order at Thomann

Jono Bolton

17 minutes ago, zranyard said:

This is great, and thanks for the heads up. I'm very tempted to get one of the 60's precisions. It's cheaper to buy a new one than buy one of the older ones second hand! There's one on gumtree currently that was tempting me, but it's £490!

There's a shop in Glasgow that has a used-but-mint Sonic Blue CV Precision at £369; the prices for these are lower than that, and lower than the current CV stock. It'd be interesting to see if they're the same quality.

Cheers for the heads up Jono Bolton :)
Not that I have GAS for any of them (must behave myself, as I'm trying to thin the herd!) but they do look good
There are times when I miss my old CV Precision in Fiesta Red - that was one gorgeous bass! If these new ones are anything like that, they'll be amazing instruments

Now there's a point -  are they made in the same factory as the last CV's? - Can't see any info on that

3 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Cheers for the heads up Jono Bolton :)
Not that I have GAS for any of them (must behave myself, as I'm trying to thin the herd!) but they do look good
There are times when I miss my old CV Precision in Fiesta Red - that was one gorgeous bass! If these new ones are anything like that, they'll be amazing instruments

Now there's a point -  are they made in the same factory as the last CV's? - Can't see any info on that

Doesn't say anywhere, and a lot of the designs are the same as, or similar to, some of the VM bases made in Indonesia; 70s Js, the Ps look like the VMs but without the J pickup, plus they're doing Jags, Jazzmasters and Mustangs, as well as Thinline Teles which were all part of the VM range. I noticed as well that they've got BBOT bridges and look to be fairly standard, whereas the old CV basses had heavier bridges and different mounting screw positioning, which meant aftermarket bridges would just drop straight in. The more I think about it, the more it seems like these are just tarted-up Vintage Modifieds.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

Doesn't say anywhere, and a lot of the designs are the same as, or similar to, some of the VM bases made in Indonesia; 70s Js, the Ps look like the VMs but without the J pickup, plus they're doing Jags, Jazzmasters and Mustangs, as well as Thinline Teles which were all part of the VM range. I noticed as well that they've got BBOT bridges and look to be fairly standard, whereas the old CV basses had heavier bridges and different mounting screw positioning, which meant aftermarket bridges would just drop straight in. The more I think about it, the more it seems like these are just tarted-up Vintage Modifieds.

Yes, it would be interesting to find out where these are being made. Those older CV's are just great quality construction. Indeed the bridges are a higher mass design than BBOT's - and the saddles are nicely machined brass too. In fact, even the pickups are really quite good, and the necks feel great on them. Overall construction is of a very high standard, and they sound great - punching way above what the original asking price might suggest.... The only thing I might change, if I had one again, would possibly be the tuners. They were OK and perfectly adequate for the bass, but higher quality tuners would be just about the only improvement I would suggest.

When I first had my CV P bass, I also had a 2000's US P (which was also lovely BTW) and there really wasn't much in it at all! The US was slightly lighter in weight and the pickup was just a tad nicer. But having got both 2nd hand, the US wasn't almost 3 times as good - which was the difference in prices I paid for the two. As you say Jono, it may be that these new CV's are made in the Indonesian factory that makes the VM series. The VM's are also very good, in comparison with the Affinity series - but the older CV range are a cut above.... if not two cuts above ;)

If anyone gets wind of where these new CV's are made - I'd be very interested to know

Must admit, I do like the look of the 4 string Jazz with maple board & black blocks..... stoppit! Must resist! ha ha

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc S said:

Yes, it would be interesting to find out where these are being made. Those older CV's are just great quality construction. Indeed the bridges are a higher mass design than BBOT's - and the saddles are nicely machined brass too. In fact, even the pickups are really quite good, and the necks feel great on them. Overall construction is of a very high standard, and they sound great - punching way above what the original asking price might suggest.... The only thing I might change, if I had one again, would possibly be the tuners. They were OK and perfectly adequate for the bass, but higher quality tuners would be just about the only improvement I would suggest.

When I first had my CV P bass, I also had a 2000's US P (which was also lovely BTW) and there really wasn't much in it at all! The US was slightly lighter in weight and the pickup was just a tad nicer. But having got both 2nd hand, the US wasn't almost 3 times as good - which was the difference in prices I paid for the two. As you say Jono, it may be that these new CV's are made in the Indonesian factory that makes the VM series. The VM's are also very good, in comparison with the Affinity series - but the older CV range are a cut above.... if not two cuts above ;)

+1 to this, I have a 2009 Olympic White CV Precision. I fitted a Kiogon wireless loom with CTS pots and switchcraft jack and a Custom Shop '62 pick up to effectively bring it up to US spec. I've now sold my  US p but have kept this as it plays and sounds so good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deedee said:

+1 to this, I have a 2009 Olympic White CV Precision. I fitted a Kiogon wireless loom with CTS pots and switchcraft jack and a Custom Shop '62 pick up to effectively bring it up to US spec. I've now sold my  US p but have kept this as it plays and sounds so good.

I thought that the white CV was a special run from more recently than '09. Didn't know that they did them prior to a couple of years ago.

42 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

I thought that the white CV was a special run from more recently than '09. Didn't know that they did them prior to a couple of years ago.

Maybe so. It was sold to me as a 2009 and tbh I’ve never bothered to check against the serial number. Lovely bass either way.

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Maybe so. It was sold to me as a 2009 and tbh I’ve never bothered to check against the serial number. Lovely bass either way.

Pleased you're still enjoying it. Of my Sq CVs, I'm just left with a CV jazz in silver with an almost ebony-coloured board. Its going nowhere.

cvs.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

2 hours ago, Deedee said:

Apologies, I’ve just checked and if the first two numbers after ‘CGS’ denote the year of manufacture, mine is actually a 2011. I think I may have been confusing it with my EBMM Sterling (which is a 2009 model). 🙄

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-squier-overhauls-classic-vibe-series/?fbclid=IwAR2695icsjO-W75daV40TU4LPlKc2rehHuB8TBe17lM5AH01976n1VbTvv8

These seem to be budget CVs (similar to VMs) made now in Indonesia so maybe not the quality and playability of the supurb Chinese range.

Edited by Paddy515
extra info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister RLP said:

I was initially very excited by this. But now not sure as the Chinese made CVs etc. were exceptional. The necks, for instance, were better than some USA made Fenders. Wonder when they will be out? 

Same for me; it's a bit disappointing to see that they're merging the VM & CV lines but keeping them all under the Classic Vibe banner. The Matt Freeman P Bass is made by the same factory as the CVs and the neck on mine is probably the best I've played. I'll definitely give them a look when they come out but I doubt I'll be buying. Andertons has them for pre-order with delivery expected in March.

Edited by Jono Bolton
  • Like 3