Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass A/O amp

Cuzzie

On 28/01/2019 at 15:41, thodrik said:

I have the B3K and the Duality. 

B3K for me is fine for low gain levels but I don't like the higher gain settings. It has replaced my Aguilar Agro which I used for nearly ten years and loved dearly but fell apart through use at so many gigs. Much as I loved the Agro, while it didn't so much have low end loss, it just doesn't have the girth that the 'grunt' switch on the B3K provides. 

Duality is great but only for fuzzed out passages or bass solos where I want the bass to sound like a guitar. It is great for that but not great as an always on fuzz.I am in the process of buying an Alpha Omega which will hopefully cover the middle ground between the duality and the B3K. This will mean that despite not being a Darkglass fanboi that I will own three Darkglass pedals...

Can't say I was that impressed with the X7 demos I have heard. The drive sounds a bit high and fizzy to me, which almost reminds me of my EBS Billy Sheehan drive I have been meaning to sell for the last year or so but can't be bothered to go up in my attic to find...

What order do you find works best ? B3 into the Duality or Duality into B3 ? 

On 30/01/2019 at 09:11, NancyJohnson said:

Racked power plus a choice of GED, dUg, BDDI.  Rack tuner.

I'm pretty much of the mindset that I'm ready for a change to be honest; I don't need all this stuff and money isn't an issue!

As soon as Andertons have stock, I'll  A/B the two heads and see what's best.

BTW, the forthcoming Helix update will contain a BDDI V2 model. I have high hopes for this seeing as their B7K model is pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing (I did some A/B tests with the M900 amp and I'm rather picky!). Also since you can do parallel chains, crossovers and compression, you just might be able to replicate the DuG, Geddy, BDDI, B7K and X7 all in one tiny box with presets and tons of other effects. That's what I'm hoping anyway!

Edited by dannybuoy

21 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

BTW, the forthcoming Helix update will contain a BDDI V2 model. I have high hopes for this seeing as their B7K model is pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing (I did some A/B tests with the M900 amp and I'm rather picky!). Also since you can do parallel chains, crossovers and compression, you just might be able to replicate the DuG, Geddy, BDDI, B7K and X7 all in one tiny box with presets and tons of other effects. That's what I'm hoping anyway!

What version of helix is that? Just the rack? LT? Tiny floor stomp thing? Or all of the above?

2 hours ago, danny-79 said:

What order do you find works best ? B3 into the Duality or Duality into B3 ? 

Definitely B3K into Duality.

I use the B3K on very low gain to set up a thick ‘cleanish’ sound and feed that into the Duality for some utterly over the top filth. Feeding the Duality into the B3K is cool, but it takes away some of rough edges of the Duality, which to me is entire reason that I use the Duality in the first place. 

Obviously some people may prefer it the other way round!

• Thanks 1

On 02/02/2019 at 14:03, thodrik said:

Definitely B3K into Duality.

I use the B3K on very low gain to set up a thick ‘cleanish’ sound and feed that into the Duality for some utterly over the top filth. Feeding the Duality into the B3K is cool, but it takes away some of rough edges of the Duality, which to me is entire reason that I use the Duality in the first place. 

Obviously some people may prefer it the other way round!

That’s the way I have it at present, the B3K takes a lot of The roughness off it the other way around, that might be the desired effect though.

ill know more when can get it wound up properly. They sound pretty good either way though 

23 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I would say Duality into B3K, with B3K always on and add the Duality for some utterly over the top filth. I like what the B3K / B7K does as a tone shaper at the end of a chain after other fuzzes.

So the answer is obviously to try both!

I sent Darkglass a message when I registered the pedal (obviously there is no right or wrong way to put them) but it was suggested that it will work at its best early in the chain before any other drives

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Dubious on the pricing? It's £150-200 cheaper than prices listed elsewhere.

Yes that was my initial thought, but I did a quick search for Musik Productiv on here, and it seems BC’ers have bought basses from them at much lower prices and had no issues! 

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Dubious on the pricing? It's £150-200 cheaper than prices listed elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

Yes that was my initial thought, but I did a quick search for Musik Productiv on here, and it seems BC’ers have bought basses from them at much lower prices and had no issues! 

We've all had a mega rant on the Mesa WD-800 thread about the £1,299 retail price for that head when the same head retails for $999 in the US  i.e. 70% more expensive in $ terms over here rather than the usual 20% to 30% more.

So it's nice to see a retailer NOT playing 'cartel' over here and introducing some price competition. Good luck to them - I suspect that they'll be getting a fair few extra sales.

Edited by Al Krow

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

We've all had a mega rant on the Mesa WD-800 thread about the £1,299 retail price for that head when the same head retails for $999 in the US  i.e. 70% more expensive in $ terms over here rather than the usual 20% to 30% more.

So it's nice to see a retailer NOT playing 'cartel' over here and introducing some price competition. Good luck to them - I suspect that they'll be getting a fair few extra sales.

Yes, but the Mesa Boogie stuff is expensive due to West side Distribution being price gouging creeps. Darkglass stuff is made in Finland which is still in the EU so why would we be getting battered for that?

• Like 1

Saw that Thomann had pushed the availability date to 'medium term availability', which is just vague.  Popped an email to Tommi Otsvaara at Darkglass and got the following:

I can't say for sure when you'll get yours but I think first units are shipping out this week. We have pretty limited stock at the moment because
producing these amps is rather slow especially in the beginning of every new product. I hope you'll get yours asap, hopefully next week already!

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards
Tommi

I'm ampless at the moment - which isn't an issue - but I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas at the moment.

Seems like the only issue some people have had ordering from MP, is that the delivery times can be a bit longer, but when the heads are £1069 most places and they are advertising them at £855, a slight delay wouldn’t be a huge issue, considering the saving.