Why become a member? ×

Classic ITV Theme Tunes

Billy Apple

21 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Encyclopaedic might be going a little too far, but yes, I'm a fan. 

Yes, Mo for Minder. I believe the performance was credited to Dennis Waterman and the Dennis Waterman Band. 

I think Laurie Johnson was responsible for writing the theme to The Professionals as well as other themes mentioned here, including The Avengers & The New Avengers. Playerwise would be whoever was in his Big Band at the given time.

The Sweeney I think was a Harry South composition. Again could be whoever was playing for him at the time.

I many versions of them all. I'll have a look through and see if I can glean anything from liner notes.

And Tony Hatch for Crossroads. 😁

1 hour ago, mr zed said:

I used to enjoy listening to the snippet of Nantucket Sleigh Ride by Mountain on Weekend World. This was before I knew who Mountain were coz I'd have been about 8 at the time.. When I heard the whole song some years later and it got to the Weekend World bit I was chuffed to bits and bought the album. Their other stuff was pants though. Still love that song!

I bought the live album The Road Goes Ever On .  The track lasts 17 minutes. It's a beaut.  Love Felix's bass / basslines

• Like 2

The Prisoner.

Of course, there were all those Gerry & Sylvia Anderson series - I remember Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, and Secret Service. Most, if not all, of them had different start and end music. Sometimes the difference was just having lyrics (also see Taggart), sometimes (eg Stingray) they were completely different tunes.

Thunderbirds - I was in the CCF at school, and the CO insisted on the Thunderbirds theme tune (which is a march) for our march-past. For some reason, that hasn't damaged me for life. Or perhaps it has.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, obbm said:

At one of the Bassist magazines bass days at ACM in Guildford Mo explained how he actually did the slap part. Apparently he couldn't slap but they managed to work out how to get that sound. A very entertaining talk.

Rich did an interview with Mo Foster for Basschat several years ago. An interesting read.

14 hours ago, Paul S said:

There was a small piece of time when my little band were considering playing this over the pa this just before we started, just to get folks attention.  Then we decided it would rather pretentious nonsense for the Dog and Duck.  Love the tune, though. 

I think that would be ace, precisely because it is totally over the top.

• Like 1

Just now, Hobbayne said:

You cant beat Space 1999 for some classic 70's Wackacha' pedal.

Know idea who the bassist was. Carol Kaye done some TV themes.

:x

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

The Prisoner.

Of course, there were all those Gerry & Sylvia Anderson series - I remember Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, and Secret Service. Most, if not all, of them had different start and end music. Sometimes the difference was just having lyrics (also see Taggart), sometimes (eg Stingray) they were completely different tunes.

Thunderbirds - I was in the CCF at school, and the CO insisted on the Thunderbirds theme tune (which is a march) for our march-past. For some reason, that hasn't damaged me for life. Or perhaps it has.

As you probably already know, composer ‘Barry Gray’ was responsible for the Thunderbirds March, along with most of the incidental music. He also collaborated with Gerry Anderson on nearly all the other series you mentioned, and a ton of adverts as well.

Unusual for sessions at the time, Barry Gray kept a record of all the musicians on his Gerry Anderson recordings.

A few well know names in there.

http://www.barrygray.co.uk/BG/Musicians.html

A lovely, little tribute below

2 hours ago, SICbass said:

The groove to that has something of The Munsters about it.

I knew there was something about that tune !  I was thinking something along the lines of a horror theme, but yes, thats the Munsters of sorts.  Actually, i suppose Dangerman came out first, so the Munsters sounds a bit like Dangerman but i digress...thanks for clearing that up :sun_bespectacled:

Edited by fleabag

Almost 20 years before he wrote the theme to The Professionals Laurie Johnson composed and recorded the theme to "No Hiding Place"

BTW how do I insert a YouTube clip?

Edited by Billy Apple

6 minutes ago, obbm said:

Almost 20 years before he wrote the theme to The Professionals Laurie Johnson composed and recorded the theme to "No Hiding Place"

BTW how do I insert a YouTube clip?

Hope you don't mind, I edited for you. Click the share button on YT under player. Then copy the link onto your BC post

Surprised this hasn't had a mention yet! This is the original version, and the bass always got my interest even at an early age. Apparently the tune was originally called 'Lancashire Blues' and composed by Eric Spear, for which he was paid £6 according to Wiki !!