Why become a member? ×

Classic ITV Theme Tunes

Billy Apple

I'm off work with the plague at the moment and very much enjoying having my feet up watching Minder, The Professionals and The Sweeney.

I think it's The Professionals which has some nice little bass-noodles running through the scenes, or the bit of slap in Minder.

Do any members know who played the bass on the theme tunes?

4 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

I'm off work with the plague at the moment and very much enjoying having my feet up watching Minder, The Professionals and The Sweeney.

I think it's The Professionals which has some nice little bass-noodles running through the scenes, or the bit of slap in Minder.

Do any members know who played the bass on the theme tunes?

No but I do know who acted in it, who wrote the feem tune, who sang the feem tune...

• Haha 7

There was a small piece of time when my little band were considering playing this over the pa this just before we started, just to get folks attention.  Then we decided it would rather pretentious nonsense for the Dog and Duck.  Love the tune, though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Crossroads...

In my little band we went through a phase of playing a couple of choons that benefitted from the use of a 12 string.  Without bloody fail, because it is so funny, guitarist would play the start of that once he'd slung it on.   

2 hours ago, Delberthot said:

I think it was Mo Foster on the Minder theme

"One of Foster's most memorable bass lines was in the theme tune to the late-70s UK TV show 'Minder' starring Dennis Waterman. The tune, 'I Can Be So Good For You' started out life as a track on Waterman's solo album, it was then re-jigged as the show's theme tune. He achieved the atypical bass sound by using an unusual bass slap technique on an aluminium Kramer 650B bass guitar."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tauzero said:

The current version just isn't anywhere near as good. I'd like that original version cleaned up and reused. But that's just my opinion.

I agree 😉

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

"One of Foster's most memorable bass lines was in the theme tune to the late-70s UK TV show 'Minder' starring Dennis Waterman. The tune, 'I Can Be So Good For You' started out life as a track on Waterman's solo album, it was then re-jigged as the show's theme tune. He achieved the atypical bass sound by using an unusual bass slap technique on an aluminium Kramer 650B bass guitar."

The terrific fretless line on Bergerac was the work of Mr Foster also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

At one of the Bassist magazines bass days at ACM in Guildford Mo explained how he actually did the slap part. Apparently he couldn't slap but they managed to work out how to get that sound. A very entertaining talk.

• Like 1

I used to enjoy listening to the snippet of Nantucket Sleigh Ride by Mountain on Weekend World. This was before I knew who Mountain were coz I'd have been about 8 at the time.. When I heard the whole song some years later and it got to the Weekend World bit I was chuffed to bits and bought the album. Their other stuff was pants though. Still love that song!

• Like 2