Why become a member? ×

Saving the planet, one box at a time

Happy Jack

Wow. Multiply by quite a few customers and that's a lot of unnecessary recycling.

Do Argos still print millions of catalogues?

And i see that Yellow Pages has finally stopped printing a real book.

Looks like CPC are trying to take up the slack all on their own

Hopeless!

My lad ordered a 100 watt soldering iron, when it came the whole thing glowed red hot - I told him to get it replaced.

Few days later a huge box, I'd say 60 x 60 x 80cm at least arrived, he said the only thing he was waiting for was the soldering iron - sure enough !!!!!!

The suplier's excuse was 'because it came direct from the factory, they only had packing for bulk deliveries'.

23 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

I experience the same wastefulness on a regular basis. Bizarre. Without wishing to be nosy, what are you using the BNC patch leads for?? 🙂

Extending the aerial cables on a wireless headset mic so that the antennae can be front-mounted.

• Thanks 1

I ordered a few very small items to make pedals from Amazon

Solder tips, wire, desidering pump, stuff like that

Amazon sent me each item in a separate A4 sized box... I wanted to take a photo just to show how stupid is that.

Edited by oZZma

I had some bird at my old accountants quote me just shy of 300quid to taxi my accounts back to Devon from Buckinghamshire

I suggested they were posted (about 3 quid) and she seemed to find this somewhat strange.........

not as strange as the fuel & pollution involved in sending a hire care on a 500mile trip.........

(I've got nice sensible accountants now)

😎

I got a similar experience with Thomann too

I ordered one pedal for a friend, a 2U rack case (which I sent back later) and some cables. I got a GUITAR-SIZED box. I sent an email to the customer care that time 😠

Edited by oZZma

Apart from all the planet choking packing above, one thing that irked me was when the caring uk Gov made all shops charge 5p for a plastic bag, for the hard of thinking, who often dont take their own. Barely anyone would care at forking out 5p. If they'd made that price £1, maybe it would have made a much bigger difference.

It's not a mental challenge to take reusable bags. If an idiot like me , who's been using the same bags for 7 or 8 years can manage it, anyone can

On the other hand - Dinner Sets

I ordered a 4 place dinner set at sale price from M&S, it arrived in a massive Christmas designer box, but when opened the actual dinner set box inside was surrounded by air bags, lots of them, but nothing above or below.  Most of the pieces were smashed so I 'phoned to complain and explained the lack of protection. Box number 2 arrived, externally smaller than the first with even less packing, again none top or bottom, once more - many items smashed.  Third verse same as the first! So on my third call of complaint I was really upset to hear they had no more of that design so I had to accept a full refund 🙂

Out of the remaining unbroken pieces we ended up with a 6 place set, minus 1 bowl, for nothing, apart from my wasted time and aggravation.

Ridiculous cost to M&S, for the sake of a bit of sensible packing in the first place.

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I had someone bird at my old accountants quote me just shy of 300quid to taxi my accounts back to Devon from Buckinghamshire

I suggested they were posted (about 3 quid) and she seemed to find this somewhat strange.........

not as strange as the fuel & pollution involved in sending a hire care on a 500mile trip.........

(I've got nice sensible accountants now)

😎

I've corrected this for you 🙄

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

Apart from all the planet choking packing above, one thing that irked me was when the caring uk Gov made all shops charge 5p for a plastic bag, for the hard of thinking, who often dont take their own. Barely anyone would care at forking out 5p. If they'd made that price £1, maybe it would have made a much bigger difference.

It's not a mental challenge to take reusable bags. If an idiot like me , who's been using the same bags for 7 or 8 years can manage it, anyone can

Apparently their use has dropped by 86% from the big 7 supermarkets, so it has had an impact. I was surprised. Must remember to put a reusable bag or two in my car.

Today's multiple parcels have generally been pretty good on packaging. One from Thomann with a monitor in its box inside another box but that included another couple of items. Another order a couple of days ago for a couple of small items came in a small box. And recent deliveries from CPC have been in a jiffy bag when all they needed was a jiffy bag.