Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Toneman -

Quilly

I've just ordered the Musik Produktiv version, with the 2x10 instead of the 1x15. Hasn't arrived yet, but on paper they look good.

From the research I've done, the amps are the Ashdown MAG 300 Evo III, which got good reviews. Cheaper speakers & built in China reduce the price, but hopefully, the Ashdown name will mean good build quality.

I noticed the Toneman manual on the Ashdown site states that it has a 5 year warranty (if you register online), so that's got to be worth something.

They have a nice look to them, 'vintagey' . I'm only looking for something as a back up. I think for occasional use they should be fine...at the same time I want something that will sound reasonably good. Sound quality instead power is what I really need.   

3 minutes ago, Skybone said:

I've just ordered the Musik Produktiv version, with the 2x10 instead of the 1x15. Hasn't arrived yet, but on paper they look good.

From the research I've done, the amps are the Ashdown MAG 300 Evo III, which got good reviews. Cheaper speakers & built in China reduce the price, but hopefully, the Ashdown name will mean good build quality.

I noticed the Toneman manual on the Ashdown site states that it has a 5 year warranty (if you register online), so that's got to be worth something.

Let me know when it arrives as to what its like.

Will do, though I've just had an email saying that they're out of stock, even though it was marked as in stock when i ordered it the other day.

Like the vintagey looks, but really like that the FX loop jack's are on the front and the fact it's a 2x10. Bit more expensive than the Toneman, but still a relatively inexpensive amp, from a respected manufacturer (and the warranty is good too).

15 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Will do, though I've just had an email saying that they're out of stock, even though it was marked as in stock when i ordered it the other day.

Like the vintagey looks, but really like that the FX loop jack's are on the front and the fact it's a 2x10. Bit more expensive than the Toneman, but still a relatively inexpensive amp, from a respected manufacturer (and the warranty is good too).

Was also considering the GK 115 cab. lightweight and just £264, has a tweeter. Must sell off something first.(Dem's the rules)  

I had the 300w toneman 1x15 combo for quite a while. It's a good portable amp and you get more out of it by adding an extension cab, with the toneman cabs a good price (though I went for a great value lightweight rootmaster instead). 

I found it perfectly functional and gigged it quite a bit. It's got everything you need but it's not going to "wow" you on any level. It's just a good quality amp. Play a decent bass through it with good strings on it, run your effects through it and you're sorted. 

If it's just a backup etc you can't go wrong. Unless you're looking for lightweight. They are compact, I remember measuring mine because I couldn't believe it had a 15" speaker. The guy I sold it to was also surprised at how compact it was. 

While it didn't blow my socks off it did give me enough confidence to stick with Ashdown ever since despite my love for Fender, Trace Elliot, Vox, Gallien Kruger and Hartke Amps.

You can see it in the background of this pic on top of a rootmaster cab.

FB_IMG_1486371123801.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I had the 300w toneman 1x15 combo for quite a while. It's a good portable amp and you get more out of it by adding an extension cab, with the toneman cabs a good price (though I went for a great value lightweight rootmaster instead). 

I found it perfectly functional and gigged it quite a bit. It's got everything you need but it's not going to "wow" you on any level. It's just a good quality amp. Play a decent bass through it with good strings on it, run your effects through it and you're sorted. 

If it's just a backup etc you can't go wrong. Unless you're looking for lightweight. They are compact, I remember measuring mine because I couldn't believe it had a 15" speaker. The guy I sold it to was also surprised at how compact it was. 

While it didn't blow my socks off it did give me enough confidence to stick with Ashdown ever since despite my love for Fender, Trace Elliot, Vox, Gallien Kruger and Hartke Amps.

You can see it in the background of this pic on top of a rootmaster cab.

FB_IMG_1486371123801.jpg

Sounds good (except for the weight)

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

They aren't heavy as such but if you've got a long trek with it you could do with side handles instead of just the one top handle. Best carried with two hands.

I didnt realize it only had one handle...until you pointed it out

The AMP 300 arrived today, very impressed with it out of the box.

Not the lightest, but still luggable at around 24kg, the single strap handle should fare well. Time will tell.

So far, only tried it briefly at home, so not too loud, will have to wait until next rehearsal to turn it up. Plugged the HD500x into the Effects Return, but still needs the volume turning up. Sounds good though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, rehearsal was cancelled this week due to various members deciding that the word 'might' means it's ok to make other plans...

Anyway, had a bit more of a play with the amp, and I must admit that I'm impressed. The effects loop delivers what I wanted & why I bought it, however, I tried it plugging straight in to the amp, and playing with the knobs & buttons.

With the EQ button in, and playing with the knobs, I managed to get a good sound from it, not a great sound, but that would take a bit of time and a lot of tweaking. The Sub Harmonic knob is interesting, and you can see that it'll have its uses. The Overdrive is nice, with a good blend of clean & dirty, and it's footswitchable, though the footswitch is sold separately. TBH, I've never really ever noticed Compression, so I can't comment on it's efficacy.

However, the biggest revelation was made when I switched the EQ off, and the Deep & Bright switches on. To my ears, it sounded amazing without the EQ. Result.

Hoping that the next rehearsal won't get cancelled, and I can bring it along to the next session.

Took it the AMP along to rehearsal last night, everyone was very complimentary about it, and it sounded great IMO.

My only criticism was that the low end seemed a tad muffled, but I don't know whether that was down to my earplugs or to the fact that the amp was sat on the floor, where before I'd been using the rehearsal rooms rig of an old Peavy amp with 2 4x10 stacked cabs. Next time, might try raising it up a bit and see how it sounds then.

Still did 2 trips from the car, but at 24kg, the amp is still pretty manageable, and no concerns about the strap handle (two side handles would be nice, but could well impact on the price).