Why become a member? ×

Hellborg amps and cabs on sale. 01/2019

itu

9 hours ago, rsint said:

Cured from GAS you say 😈

One can source the very cool Warwick head rack from Thomann too - about £65. I have one on the way to house the same stereo rig. Dinky wheels too, though the rig’s an easy lift...kind of, for two to three people

Edited by three

2 hours ago, three said:

One can source the very cool Warwick head rack from Thomann too - about £65. I have one on the way to house the same stereo rig. Dinky wheels too, though the rig’s an easy lift...kind of, for two to three people

What are the feet like when you remove the wheels? do they give any clearance from the cab? 

Asking because there's a strap-handle on top of my cab. 

2 hours ago, rsint said:

What are the feet like when you remove the wheels? do they give any clearance from the cab? 

Asking because there's a strap-handle on top of my cab. 

I haven't received it yet but I'll let you know as soon as the box arrives!

• Like 1

On 04/02/2019 at 21:35, rsint said:

Cured from GAS you say 😈

I really enjoyed having the preamp, I had it feeding into an ashdown poweramp and ACME B2 and it was super clean. 

Downside was I bought the amp off a guy on here and didn’t check the specs, 20kg was fine, 60cm depth wasn’t. 

It got replaced by my Mesa Walkabout, small valvey, fits in the back of my car easy to lug about and sounds great.very different sound.

am I tempted to try and sell and spend the extra  it to get a helborg rig...  yes.... 

actually- anyone near Leeds with one that I can come try????

I can't see that anybody that makes the investment would be disappointed - just be aware that this is very heavy gear (the stereo power amp is over 46lbs and the mono 500 is around 42).  It's massively over-engineered and also a little bit quirky - good racking (sleeved or shock with wheels) is probably a good idea if it's going to be moved around a lot.  There's a sort-of known issue with the lights behind the pots - these fail and sometimes start to flicker (not a very expensive job to replace but I'm told the original bulbs are no longer available - there's a slightly less bright alternative at around 1 Euro per unit).

At the current Thomann prices, these units are an utter bargain.  It's been an offer that I've been unable to resist and I already had two PR40s.  I've been through a lot of amps and preamps - the Hellborg rig is the best I've ever used, other than using a Hellborg pre as the front-end for an Aguilar DB750 - outrageous tone and power.  If you can only go for the preamp, do it - I've had this up against all sorts from channel strips to exotic valve pres and it performs wonderfully (better to my ears but it's all very subjective - I prefer very immediate response and super-accurate dynamics and shaping).  Even against a Millennia TD-1, the PR40 holds its own perfectly well. 

And Thomann are fast - my packages arrived in around 5 days - don't forget the dedicated 3u or 5u head rack too - very functional and attractive (with dinky wheels)

Edited by three
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, three said:

I can't see that anybody that makes the investment would be disappointed - just be aware that this is very heavy gear (the stereo power amp is over 46lbs and the mono 500 is around 42).  It's massively over-engineered and also a little bit quirky - good racking (sleeved or shock with wheels) is probably a good idea if it's going to be moved around a lot.  There's a sort-of known issue with the lights behind the pots - these fail and sometimes start to flicker (not a very expensive job to replace but I'm told the original bulbs are no longer available - there's a slightly less bright alternative at around 1 Euro per unit).

At the current Thomann prices, these units are an utter bargain.  It's been an offer that I've been unable to resist and I already had two PR40s.  I've been through a lot of amps and preamps - the Hellborg rig is the best I've ever used, other than using a Hellborg pre as the front-end for an Aguilar DB750 - outrageous tone and power.  If you can only go for the preamp, do it - I've had this up against all sorts from channel strips to exotic valve pres and it performs wonderfully (better to my ears but it's all very subjective - I prefer very immediate response and super-accurate dynamics and shaping).  Even against a Millennia TD-1, the PR40 holds its own perfectly well. 

And Thomann are fast - my packages arrived in around 5 days - don't forget the dedicated 3u or 5u head rack too - very functional and attractive (with dinky wheels)

I had a Helborg pre and loved it too - the whole rig is v. Attractive but double what I would get if I sold my current rig.... but so tempted...

• Like 1

So, had my first band practice with it tonight. 

It’s amazing, played with pre amp bypassed at first and was greeted with a warm luscious fat clear sound. 

It just felt like i was listening to a high end recording of my Dingwall. It felt like it has this super accurate compressor in it that can read my mind.

even broke out my MIA Fender Jazz deluxe V which I harldy ever play.......that finally sounded like I allways thought it should have. This rig is worth it’s weight in gold!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The sleeve arrived yesterday. It was a bit of a puzzle figuring out how to install everything as the poweramp has extra brackets for fixating the rear end. 

And let me tell you, trying to install a 21 kilo poweramp on your own is not easy. 

Reaching the pre-amp's connections after installing it is not easy either. I think I'll get an short xlr extention to stick into the d.i. permanently. 

One thing is for sure, this amp is not going back to Thomann. 

20190206_155437.jpg

3 minutes ago, attackbass said:

very cool. my club cab is arriving today and lo cab tomorrow.

I have my hellborg rig - pre and mono 500 - in a gator case which is already pretty heavy.... how heavy is the hellborg sleeve?

Well the package including huge cardboard box was about 9 kilo's so my guess is about 5 kilo's. 

I think you have put me off buying one! I gig the hellborg and I can just about manage it lugging it around in the gator case.. tho any walk of 100m or more can become quite a work out! It looks really cool tho.

I'm thinking of further down the road buying a LWA1000 and using it for it's power amp. It wouldn't be the same but it would keep things lighter whilst being from the same school of thought and engineering of Hellborg