Why become a member? ×

Hellborg amps and cabs on sale. 01/2019

itu

1 hour ago, rsint said:

The sleeve arrived yesterday. It was a bit of a puzzle figuring out how to install everything as the poweramp has extra brackets for fixating the rear end. 

And let me tell you, trying to install a 21 kilo poweramp on your own is not easy. 

Reaching the pre-amp's connections after installing it is not easy either. I think I'll get an short xlr extention to stick into the d.i. permanently. 

One thing is for sure, this amp is not going back to Thomann. 

20190206_155437.jpg

That looks amazing

• Like 1

The thing is with this pre and power amp is dynamic headroom.  It was designed for an acoustic instrument so the transient peaks are preserved like studio monitors rather than clipped or compressed.   This kit is for players who like a capital Z in their zzzzzing. Admittedly at this price, who can complain but if someone is buying into the hype, it's important to preserve the headroom through the whole signal chain with this kit.  Otherwise there's not much point in making the investment and let's face it, there's plenty of kit out there which does the job perfectly well at the same price point (or lower).

As an owner of the hellborg pre and power amp before  the price reductions I wouldn't say this was a piece of kit just for players who like Zing! I mean, yes you have the control to go for that sound and it's easy to get but the clarity of the preamp and the eq enables you to essentially shape your tone, whether it's zingy and piano tone like or more thumpy, warm and old school. It just offers a lot more clarity to your sound. I also find it's how the amp feels to play in to that is different to other amps. Yes there are great amps at the same price point and lower, and I have played a vast amount of those amps and they all get the job done and are all great... I have no objections to using the behringer ultrabass, great amp for the money! 

With amps at the higher price point, yes there is very little difference in quality of sound. Put side to side with my trickfish - it was extremely close, but the hellborg felt just a little warmer whilst they trickfish was a bit dryer sounding, and in a live situation probably not very noticeable. However, when DI'd the clarity of the hellborg  was eye opening, my trickfish has a very nice DI but the hellborg was just incredibly detailed and open in comparison. Despite this I still love both amps, with the trickfish being the favourite of all the class d amps ive used.

and yes at the original price of these amps I would have never entertained buying one - i got mine in a trade!!

I think it's just a unique piece of gear that UAD will probably model in 20 years, with dodgy flickering light and scratches in the aluminum face plate! ;)

So my club cab arrived.

I'm completely amazed how clear and articulate this is. It's quite strange and I've never heard a 1x15 like it. Clearer than a 4x10 I would say. 

Comparing the trickfish and the hellborg, the trickfish seems to have more low mid and a slightly fatter tone, more vintage I guess by comparison. Whereas both cabs are very articulate, the Hellborg seems to have less roundness in favour for note clarity where the Trickfish offers a pillowy response... This could maybe be due to the Hellborg not going as low as the Trickfish. I like both, I'm aware the Hellborg has not been broken in too so I'm going to spend time with it and get to know it, and also see how it combines with the lo cab 

Another note... The cab is rated 250w but is noticeable louder so I think there must be some magic going on there in terms of speaker efficiency and getting the most out of  the power amp..

IMG_20190207_162713.jpg

It's likely just a GAS thing... I'm not in a hurry to burn £1500 on a 4th rig, even if it's typical value is £5000+ 

The Aguilar rig is fantastic, but you know how things are, if an equally great rig raises it's head, it'd be rude not to deeply consider it! 

That Hellborg set up of yours does look like a truly top end rig... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a shade envious! 

The Sumo 1000 is really good, almost transparent, silent, no hiss except when everything is up to the max. Strangely it as a very progressive power response, so very usable all the way up... Even if I don't go that high, only 1/3 for "normal" use and it's pretty loud with a lot of headroom still available. I prefer to put the preamp to the max and use the input gain of the Sumo than doing the opposite because of the hissing you'll get this way. Of course, I gave it a run at full power and it's louder than my Hartke LH 1000 which is a class AB power amp rated at 1100 Watts. So yes, their proprietary power module delivers a lot of power.

I'm waiting a Bugera BTX 36000 Nuke really measured at 1500 Watts RMS in class AB, so I could compare the raw power of both power amps.

Eartquake forecast. 🤣