Grassie

Your experiences of playing in a tribute band.

6 minutes ago, NoRhino said:

Which act has the most bands playing 'tribute' to it?   I did a quick count of Quo bands today and reckon there are at least 20 in the British Isles.

I worked on a tribute 'project' for PRS a few years ago and the results were the obvious contenders....

Beatles, Queen, Abba.... followed by Stones, Zep, Who etc....

I'd say AC/DC is up there.. loads of them..  I've played for 3 alone..  The ACDC Experience as Angus.. and Back In Black and now ACE/DC both on bass.

Previously I was in Metalleeka for 8 years as Kirk Hammett.. 

Done right, a tribute band can open some very big doors.. it can guarantee an enthusiastic crowd.. improve the pay..  overall a lot of fun.

27 minutes ago, bloodandtearsuk said:

I'd say AC/DC is up there.. loads of them..  I've played for 3 alone..  The ACDC Experience as Angus.. and Back In Black and now ACE/DC both on bass.

Previously I was in Metalleeka for 8 years as Kirk Hammett.. 

Done right, a tribute band can open some very big doors.. it can guarantee an enthusiastic crowd.. improve the pay..  overall a lot of fun.

One of my brothers was Angus in a band that had the iterations TNT and High Voltage (originality of names is not a strong suite for AC/DC tributes...)

Sadly I don't have a pic of him in uniform.

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

I suspect Elvis is the most tributed.

There was the wonderful Peter Singh " I don't smoke dope, I don't drink bourbon, all I want to do is shake my turban", now retired.

0_i7119678_Peter_Singh1_jpg.jpg

On 01/04/2019 at 15:18, Stub Mandrel said:

A question for you 'tribute' folks.

I know many bands don't play live as faithfully to the recordings as some tributes do.

So how do you approach this, do you aim to copy the records or the/a live performance or just capture the 'essence' of the band (if you know what I mean?)

We try to capture the 'essence' as we're a David Bowie Tribute with 2 guitars, no keys and no sax. For Pretty Things one of our guitarists plays her interpretation of the piano intro and outro....seems to work

...and our lead singer is female so we're capturing the essence for every song in reality

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bloodandtearsuk said:

in a band context??

The question was "which act". As it happens, a couple of former bandmates are part of the backing band for an Elvis tribute, so there are Elvis tribute bands as well as Elvis karaoke tributes.

• Thanks 1