Why become a member? ×

Your experiences of playing in a tribute band.

Grassie

On 19/02/2019 at 13:06, Kebabkid said:

Cloudbusting are great and we caught them last week at The Half Moon, Putney where they were in fine form. We also spoke to you after the gig, Dave and lovely to meet you @sprocketflup.

C'mon, how many people in a tribute band can say that their dep is the Real McCoy, in this case, Del Palmer!!

Cloudbusting, that is awesome, very high end tribute band.

What a buzz it must be to play in a band of that quality, total respect.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

On 19/02/2019 at 13:06, Kebabkid said:

Cloudbusting are great and we caught them last week at The Half Moon, Putney where they were in fine form. We also spoke to you after the gig, Dave and lovely to meet you @sprocketflup.

C'mon, how many people in a tribute band can say that their dep is the Real McCoy, in this case, Del Palmer!!

Utterly brilliant. I have just booked a ticket for The Rescue Rooms gig in Nottingham....can't wait!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

I was going to go to the next Cloudbusting gig at the Rescue Rooms Ray, would have been nice to catch up. Unfortunately a gig I had coming up in Birmingham originally set for Apr 6th has been brought forward to March 30th which clashes so can't go now! Say hello to Dave from if he's in the bar after the gig, lovely bloke and great player.

• Like 3

Aww, feeling the love :)

Thanks all, was great to meet you  and Cetera Kebabkid, I'm jealous of your madness gig, awesome lines

KevB - booo! Where you playing that night then? Ill come see you ;) I'm sure we'll catch up again at some point

Raymondo - come over and say hi after the gig if you can mate :)

Steantval - you're right mate, its one heck of a buzz :)

• Like 1

Dave, I'm playing some pub in a rough part of Rowley Regis apparently. One of the guitarists set it up. From his description I'm practically expecting to be playing behind chicken wire. We've been told not to say anything like 'hello Birmingham' as it offends the local black country folk (who will mostly be carrying knives).

Just now, KevB said:

Dave, I'm playing some pub in a rough part of Rowley Regis apparently. One of the guitarists set it up. From his description I'm practically expecting to be playing behind chicken wire. We've been told not to say anything like 'hello Birmingham' as it offends the local black country folk (who will mostly be carrying knives).

That sounds exciting Kev, I might just forget about the ticket and come to watch you!😉

Or...…..

Maybe try to meet Dave at the bar🍺😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercury Rising said:

This is my neck of the woods, what's the name of the venue?

Rowley Regis?   I don't know sorry. 

I know Kev and was just having a bit of banter. He's a nice guy, if you message him I am sure that he will let you know and be more than happy to chat if you go to the gig.

Cheers

Ray

It's no secret, just didn't want to divert the thread from it's original topic. It's the Brittania pub, never played it before. I'm happy for anyone that feels up to it to come along. We're just a pub rock band, nothing to get too excited about and this will be only be my 4th gig with them so still feeling my way in a bit. Happy to chat with any BC'ers that make themselves known. I don't think JTUK would show up though.😉

My brother was in an AC/DC Tribute band in South Wales, my greatest regret is never seeing him perform in shorts and school blazer...

All his current band were in respected tribute bands, but now they prefer playing (mostly non-obvious) covers and starting to do some of their own stuff.

10 hours ago, KevB said:

It's no secret, just didn't want to divert the thread from it's original topic. It's the Brittania pub, never played it before. I'm happy for anyone that feels up to it to come along. We're just a pub rock band, nothing to get too excited about and this will be only be my 4th gig with them so still feeling my way in a bit. Happy to chat with any BC'ers that make themselves known. I don't think JTUK would show up though.😉

I played there last October with the originals band. It isn't as if we have that many gigs, but I have no memory whatsoever of it, and I generally manage to remember something.

• 1 month later...

First gig for the Magnum tribute band (A Storyteller’s Night) last night, supporting the excellent Backstreet Thunder in Rotherham.

All went really well: great crowd reaction, lots of positive comments (both from the audience on the night and on social media) and quite a few came specially to see us (some from as far away as South Wales and from Co Durham).

Clip of ‘How Far Jerusalem’, filmed by a student of the guitar player – a bit up close and personal but gives an idea of how it went…

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, peteb said:

First gig for the Magnum tribute band (A Storyteller’s Night) last night, supporting the excellent Backstreet Thunder in Rotherham.

All went really well: great crowd reaction, lots of positive comments (both from the audience on the night and on social media) and quite a few came specially to see us (some from as far away as South Wales and from Co Durham).

Clip of ‘How Far Jerusalem’, filmed by a student of the guitar player – a bit up close and personal but gives an idea of how it went…

Excellent well done. How do you feel about it. 

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:09, sprocketflup said:

Aww, feeling the love :)

Thanks all, was great to meet you  and Cetera Kebabkid, I'm jealous of your madness gig, awesome lines

KevB - booo! Where you playing that night then? Ill come see you ;) I'm sure we'll catch up again at some point

Raymondo - come over and say hi after the gig if you can mate :)

Steantval - you're right mate, its one heck of a buzz :)

I hope the gig went well. Unfortunately my Fibromyalgia did for me again and I was too knackered to make the gig...maybe next time😥

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Excellent well done. How do you feel about it. 

All in all, a great night. The band was pretty good for a first gig. 

The main issue is going to be finding the right venues to play. There is obviously a devoted Magnum fanbase and a lot of them seem interested in the band, but can we get enough to pack a place to be able to headline in our own right??

10 hours ago, peteb said:

All in all, a great night. The band was pretty good for a first gig. 

The main issue is going to be finding the right venues to play. There is obviously a devoted Magnum fanbase and a lot of them seem interested in the band, but can we get enough to pack a place to be able to headline in our own right??

Most up and coming tributes tend to team up with another tribute band to put on a show. Not specifically main and support act. Its just 2 or 3 tribute bands playing the one show. Worth thinking about. 

Once the band is confirmed on the circuit you could go it alone as i think a Magnum tribute will be very popular. A lot more than you think.

I wish you every success and hope to see you somewhere.

Dave

38 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Most up and coming tributes tend to team up with another tribute band to put on a show. Not specifically main and support act. Its just 2 or 3 tribute bands playing the one show. Worth thinking about. 

Once the band is confirmed on the circuit you could go it alone as i think a Magnum tribute will be very popular. A lot more than you think.

I wish you every success and hope to see you somewhere.

Dave

Hi Dave - yeah, we are aware that's how it usually works and are talking to various other tribute bands. There is an issue of finding the right bands to work  with to put a show on. There is certainly devoted Magnum fans, but it would be nice if there are enough for us to headline the better venues on the circuit. 

Would be great to see you at a show sometime... 

• Like 1

You also have the Festival circuit over the Summer months Peteb altho its maybe a little late to get on the listings this year but you should give that a try. They usually have some cancellations at festivals. Check what's near you.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Hi Dave - yeah, we are aware that's how it usually works and are talking to various other tribute bands. There is an issue of finding the right bands to work  with to put a show on. There is certainly devoted Magnum fans, but it would be nice if there are enough for us to headline the better venues on the circuit. 

Would be great to see you at a show sometime... 

Dare I suggest Magnum might work well alongside a Marillion tribute?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Dare I suggest Magnum might work well alongside a Marillion tribute?

Yep that would be a great match.

Magnum fall in between Prog and Rock so any good classic rock band will also work. 

You have a good platform for teaming up with other bands because of that. Maybe not so much with heavy metal bands but you never know.

Jings i'm excited for you Pete. :laugh1:

Dave