Why become a member? ×

Why two leads?

Graham56

I saw a Blues Brothers stage show on Saturday. Cheesy as a cheesy thing with extra cheese on top, but great fun.

The bass player punched out these Duck Dunn (and some Jamerson) lines with pizzazz and energy using a standard P-Bass and a small effects unit on the floor.

But he also seemed to have two leads going into the instrument. I was too far away to work out what was going, but I could clearly see two leads going up to wind through his strap.

Any idea why he would do this?

Cheers, 

Graham

54 minutes ago, Dood said:

I have two leads round my strap and this is exactly my reason. It's one less noisy wireless to worry about ha ha!!

Are you more in favour of hardwiring than wireless then Dan?  Interesting.

I have always felt wireless to be a convenience that sometimes carries penalties.  I haven't considered spending money on it so far as a consequence.  I'd have to be gigging a full diary to feel I'd benefit from it and even then, I'd feel it to be less reliable.

4 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Are you more in favour of hardwiring than wireless then Dan?  Interesting.

I have always felt wireless to be a convenience that sometimes carries penalties.  I haven't considered spending money on it so far as a consequence.  I'd have to be gigging a full diary to feel I'd benefit from it and even then, I'd feel it to be less reliable.

That's pretty much it actually yes. I do gig lots on some good sized stages at times too, but as yet, my 20Ft leads have more than sufficed and haven't felt that they get in the way. My basses are active, so I'm not struggling with long cables and my IEM mix comes from a device next to my pedal board, so the cables start and end at the same place. I am yet to have our super @obbm build me a single IEM cable carrying both instrument and stereo IEM signal, but as I say, I'm not having any problems with getting tangled up even with two wires hanging off my bass. I've actually made a little clip (well bodged!!) that the IEM cable hangs off so that I can easily disconnect the headphone cable leaving both the instrument and IEM feed together. 

One less wireless means that I don't have to worry about venue interference or making sure channels are available. We also have a lot of Wifi on our stage too which can be a cause for concern. Also two less latency inducing devices in the signal path too!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Naigewron said:

Could be doing the Billy Sheehan thing - One lead per pickup, so that he can route them to different amps or effects.

https://www.bestbassgear.com/ebass/article/2-outputs.html

The OP suggests it's a standard P bass, so I guess less likely though a very useable idea. Also unlikely for this kinda band, but the bassist could have a MIDI pickup installed in the bass requiring a second output.

Was it active ?  Some ( not many i should think ) have the battery connector converted to Boss style 2.1mm barrel plug, and just power the preamp with a 9v power supply.

Probably way out in my thinking, but it was just a thought

15 hours ago, Dood said:

I've actually made a little clip (well bodged!!) that the IEM cable hangs off so that I can easily disconnect the headphone cable leaving both the instrument and IEM feed together. 

Can we see it please?  (I am far too polite to say photos or it didn't happen...)

It's nice to hear you voice an opinion similar to my inexperienced one.  I am a technician by nature and I think that much reliance is placed on wireless where perhaps it should remain closed circuit.  There is room for both methods of connection but these days it sound unfashionable to say one likes to be cabled up.

Totally wired is the way for me, to quote the late Mark E Smith.

I'm no fan of wireless at all, but I've recently bought a cheapish wireless headset mic (Thomann T-Bone Free Solo) specifically for when I'm singing BVs while playing double bass. 

It's such a physical instrument that getting pulled out of shape by the need to get your mouth up close to a normal mic is a real pain, quite literally sometimes.

I like to use good kit, and the wireless Lavalier mic is nowhere near the quality of the Beta SM57 I use with a mic stand, but it's horses for courses, innit?

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I'm no fan of wireless at all, but I've recently bought a cheapish wireless headset mic (Thomann T-Bone Free Solo) specifically for when I'm singing BVs while playing double bass. 

It's such a physical instrument that getting pulled out of shape by the need to get your mouth up close to a normal mic is a real pain, quite literally sometimes.

I like to use good kit, and the wireless Lavalier mic is nowhere near the quality of the Beta SM57 I use with a mic stand, but it's horses for courses, innit?

That's because good wireless costs a lot - and the T-bone stuff is very much entry level stuff. It's exactly the same with wireless IEM. You need to be spending £750+ to get performance from analogue devices (digital not preferable in the IEM world due to latency - although Lectrosonics are the exception to that)

I would wager if you used a Line6 digital mic system with a decent head mic, you would be a lot happier.

But then again, that's still considerably more than a 100 quid mic sitting on a stand.