Why become a member? ×

Fantasy Budget Bitsa Bass!

roblpm

I put this together for under £300 with careful used purchases, done over a couple of years though! Fishman Piezo bridge with a Bartolini preamp, skimped on the tuners (Wilkonson) and pickups (Duncan Designed) to keep the cost down with an eye to upgrading them when suitably priced parts came up but I never bothered. Neck is Mighty Mite (back before they shot up in price) and the body is from an old Cort built Hohner. Looks, sounds and plays like a much more expensive bass.IMG-20180509-001348.jpgIMG-20180509-001515.jpg

I wouldn't immediately discount cheap hardware from AliExpress etc either, I have a Schaller copy bridge fitted to an old Jazz bitsa which has been great and I have one of these on my Cort which is surprisingly heavy and all I need in a bridge:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-Set-Chrome-Vintage-L-Shape-Saddle-Bridge-for-5-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Top/32701082348.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dEVbgCU

3 minutes ago, roblpm said:

OK. Why do I need a pj?! Answer is that I don't. 

So what I need is P body. Quite fancy active though so how am I gonna fit the electrics in? 

Allparts and Warmoth are both a fortune! So need a bargain body..... 

Active in a Precision, get a P-Retro (used as discontinued). But passive is also pretty versatile if done well, speak to John/Kiogon about versatile passive circuits, he's just built me one for a P/J bas that does pretty much everything I need from a bass.

Wood? You can pick up Warmoth and Allparts bodies and necks for £100-£150 if you keep your eyes open :)

I'm getting the feeling I've got most of the parts you might need!

Just now, JohnDaBass said:

Lovely basses Chris everyone a stunning bass. I've fallen in love with #4 .Ash body, rosewood Jazz neck, black tape wound strings and DiMarzio Pups. Handsome! 

Thanks mate, it's a lovely instrument. The real pleasure of playing around with Fender-alike bitsas is that you can keep chopping and changing parts until you get the perfect bass.

And then sell it for about what it cost, and start again :)

11 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Thanks mate, it's a lovely instrument. The real pleasure of playing around with Fender-alike bitsas is that you can keep chopping and changing parts until you get the perfect bass.

And then sell it for about what it cost, and start again :)

The other skill is realising when you've got there, and not selling it on to find something better 😢 Edit - that's what you said.  I am a dimwit.

I had a beauty - MIJ P bass body, lots of mojo, light as a feather.  Mighty Mite maple Jazz neck, Wizard Trad pup, P retro, Hipshot tuners, Hipshot A style bridge. 

Edited by Paul S

44 minutes ago, Paul S said:

The other skill is realising when you've got there, and not selling it on to find something better 😢 Edit - that's what you said.  I am a dimwit.

I had a beauty - MIJ P bass body, lots of mojo, light as a feather.  Mighty Mite maple Jazz neck, Wizard Trad pup, P retro, Hipshot tuners, Hipshot A style bridge. 

That sounds like the spec i want! 

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

Active in a Precision, get a P-Retro (used as discontinued). But passive is also pretty versatile if done well, speak to John/Kiogon about versatile passive circuits, he's just built me one for a P/J bas that does pretty much everything I need from a bass.

Wood? You can pick up Warmoth and Allparts bodies and necks for £100-£150 if you keep your eyes open :)

I'm getting the feeling I've got most of the parts you might need!

What about a squire vm body to start...? 

Nice ideas in here.

Personally, I've always fancied a bass with NO internal electrics at all, but the pickups routed to two separate Jack sockets, one per pickup.

Then just have an off-board pre amp or even passive controls that you can customize ad infinitum without taking the instrument apart.

Only potential issue is noise. You could have active and passive options in the external unit. Or even a pre amp per pickup.. but that's getting expensive now!

As said previously, keep an eye out on the Marketplace on here. There are definitely bargains to be had; I passed up a Squier Matt Freeman P Bass neck for £60 a couple of years ago that I didn't think at the time that I needed. I should have bought it just as a spare, if for nothing else. There was also a Squier James Johnston Jazz neck that went for a similarly ridiculous price. The only problem is that you need to be quick!

I recently swapped out the Delano pickups in my Sandberg Cali II TT with some Bartolini B-Axis items.  Picked them uo pre-loved from Bass Direct for not much at all and they are an interesting alternative to singlr coils.  I know it's hardly a bitsa but just wanted to mention the pickups.

I put this together a few years ago on the cheap, there was a thread on here about the build, it's changed a bit since then but it still works out a cheap bass. Body was off ebay I got for £30, flamed maple jazz neck was £75 off ebay, tuners were £20 off here, Wizard 84's £50 off here, East J-retro £110, Hipshot bridge was £27 off ebay. It's my longest serving bass and plays and sounds superb, I've got 2 keepers, this and my Alpher.

FB_IMG_1548385971570.jpg

9 hours ago, DarkHeart said:

I put this together a few years ago on the cheap, there was a thread on here about the build, it's changed a bit since then but it still works out a cheap bass. Body was off ebay I got for £30, flamed maple jazz neck was £75 off ebay, tuners were £20 off here, Wizard 84's £50 off here, East J-retro £110, Hipshot bridge was £27 off ebay. It's my longest serving bass and plays and sounds superb, I've got 2 keepers, this and my Alpher.

FB_IMG_1548385971570.jpg

Looks great! 

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:20, lemmywinks said:

The licensed ones {Hipshot tuners} are great btw, mentioning just in case the OP is put off them by this slight derail! Had a set on a Cort and they were rock solid for an entire gig as well as being light as a feather (as the name would suggest).

I've got pukka USA Hipshots on my Shuker and licenced ones on the Sire. They feel exactly the same, smooth and precise.

Edited by Rich
smelling pistake
  • Like 1