Why become a member? ×

Fantasy Budget Bitsa Bass!

roblpm

Following a conversation with Beedster in the for sale forum here are my thoughts..... Any suggestions? 

I am just about to change career (again) so am going to go from OK to poor! So this needs to be on a budget of less than £500 which is impossible! 

I am one of those people who don't like brands! 

So here we go:

I already have a passive jazz. So gasing for something that sounds different but doesn't have a massive neck. 

Spec would be:

No labels. Anonymous. 

Jazz style neck. 

Pj config (or I suppose like a Stingray one humbucker) 

Excellent pickups. 

Active. Maybe John East. 

Badass or other good bridge

Olympic white

Mint green pick guard 

Lightish weight

So obviously I could buy a Sire P7. But that's no fun...... 

What can I do? 

Great stuff! Keep your eyes on eBay and Basschat, and prepare yourself for a few weeks at least, sometimes months, of trial and error. But it’s great fun and really satisfying. Putting together a bitsa is also very easy if you’re sticking to Fender-type instruments because 9 times out of 10 things fit, or can be made to fit with a little tweaking. It allows a lot of customisation. For example, I love the sound of Jazz Basses but hate the skinny necks. I have two bitsa Jazzes with Precision necks, and love them both. I have also built my perfect bass, a P/J fretless that feels like a Wal to play, and even looks a little Wal-sequel! 

Some necks resonate beautifully on one body and not on another, sometimes a high-mass bridge improves a bass, sometimes not. The list of combinations that can influence either tone and/or playability is pretty long. Possibly the best bass I have at present has a huge gap at the heel/pocket, a crap lightweight bridge, cheap PUPs, and a couple of misplaced bits of hardware, but it just works, certainly as well as instruments costing 3-4 times as much. Trial and error is king, and there are many surprises to be had from relatively unpromising sources. 

Have fun mate, give me a shout if you need parts :) 

Chris

Edited by Beedster

4 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Are you talking about buying off the shelf or having your no name bass built by someone. ?

JE active pre... £200 - ish

Excellent pups .. £180 - £200

Your budget is nearly finished by then

I’d recommend buying all parts used, you’d be amazed at what you can find :) 

• Like 1

I thought our man was going for new, but yes, used will certainly cut down on those prices. Probably doable for the budget, if  rob is patient

Not always easy to get those pre's and pups used -  and Rich is right about used prices for JE pre's and decent pups.  But, ya never know

Edited by fleabag

I started with a green (sic!) tinted Status MM neck (satin finish, no dots; thank you folks out there). I had an extra Q-tuner pick-up. Went to a store to buy 4 single bridge pieces. Called a luthier that I know. He built a body from local wood (Finnish birch) and put the set together.

Now I have a rock solid dark bass with no adjustments or pots. Works like a dream. Did NOT cost £3 000.

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

I’d recommend buying all parts used, you’d be amazed at what you can find :) 

On here recently I've bought a pair of Nordstrand 5 string pups and a set of 5 Schaller tuners for the combined total of £120, there's been East preamps selling for under £100 and a Gotoh bridge on here at the moment for £40. No reason you can't put together a monster spec bass for £500-600 if you're patient, even less if you just want a basic Squier level neck and body.

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

Are you talking about buying off the shelf or having your no name bass built by someone. ?

JE active pre... £200 - ish

Excellent pups .. £180 - £200

Your budget is nearly finished by then

I know that..... So maybe start with something.... And improve over time! 

2 hours ago, therealting said:

How about spending £200 quid on a Sadowsky Preamp DI or similar? Makes your passive jazz into an active monster. 

Aha. Yes. I can do that. 

But I don't think that's as much fun. I fancy a frankenstein bass..... 

22 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

On here recently I've bought a pair of Nordstrand 5 string pups and a set of 5 Schaller tuners for the combined total of £120, there's been East preamps selling for under £100 and a Gotoh bridge on here at the moment for £40. No reason you can't put together a monster spec bass for £500-600 if you're patient, even less if you just want a basic Squier level neck and body.

Wow that's great. I need to look at the other forum. I tend to just browse the bass one at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

A set of USA Hipshot Ultralites has just sold for £50 too, plenty of bargains knocking around. 

Those looked like licensed tuners to me not USA. No "USA", different Hipshot logo, a shorter cover, less bevel on the teeth. Bargain if so, not so much if not. 

3 minutes ago, KK Jale said:

Those looked like licensed tuners to me not USA. No "USA", different Hipshot logo, a shorter cover, less bevel on the teeth. Bargain if so, not so much if not. 

Ah right, the seller said they were £110 so I assumed they were USA. Can get the licensed ones for about £15 each and they ended up selling for £68 posted which is a bit naughty if they're licensed.

The licensed ones are great btw, mentioning just in case the OP is put off them by this slight derail! Had a set on a Cort and they were rock solid for an entire gig as well as being light as a feather (as the name would suggest).

• Like 1

I put together most of the below basses, all high spec by factory built comparison models (Fender etc), for around or under the O/Ps budget. Most are Warmoth or Allparts necks/bodies, which are generally a step up from standard Fender quality (IMO of course). All are outstanding players and solid as a rock. You'll see a theme......

AUT_8173.thumb.JPG.2635309beb7ad58ee5b62104c252270b.JPGIMG_5268.thumb.JPG.8a2310e9dad59dfd670f55652932e7f6.JPGIMG_7834.thumb.JPG.dac9107e6e70792bd3f71acb44a8bbbf.JPGIMG_8481.thumb.JPG.934c652f0fb0285062262d7014301dbe.JPGCIMG0249.JPG.88f0b4284a6599070da01b5675b6280a.JPG

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I put together most of the below basses, all high spec by factory built comparison models (Fender etc), for around or under the O/Ps budget. Most are Warmoth or Allparts necks/bodies, which are generally a step up from standard Fender quality (IMO of course). All are outstanding players and solid as a rock. You'll see a theme......

AUT_8173.thumb.JPG.2635309beb7ad58ee5b62104c252270b.JPGIMG_5268.thumb.JPG.8a2310e9dad59dfd670f55652932e7f6.JPGIMG_7834.thumb.JPG.dac9107e6e70792bd3f71acb44a8bbbf.JPGIMG_8481.thumb.JPG.934c652f0fb0285062262d7014301dbe.JPGCIMG0249.JPG.88f0b4284a6599070da01b5675b6280a.JPG

Love them. Except mine will be white!