Why become a member? ×

Bunch of slappers!

operative451

44 minutes ago, Cato said:

Finally getting around to learning how to play slap properly a few years back got me out of a playing rut that had gone on so long that I was almost at the point where I didn't want to pick up a bass anymore.

These days it's far from the majority of what I play but it definitely reignited my interest in the instrument. It opened up a couple of new ways of thinking about my standard finger style playing as well, as an example, before slap I barely knew what a ghost note was let alone how to use them effectively.

Suffice to say I'm a fan.

This ^^^^.

After years of (occasionally) trying to bang out "forget me nots" (in private of course), I'm now trying to develop my own distinct fusion style, by shamelessly copying Jerry Preston. 😁

How could anybody not LOVE the first 30 seconds of this?:

"Forget me nots" is still a disaster. 😪

• Like 3

7 hours ago, operative451 said:

Slap bass. I know it comes up on occasion... But what the flip is it with youtube and instagram bassists and the slappidy bappidy clippedy boing noises?! Argh!!

I'm totally after things about tone, amp settings, nice playing tips, just nice playing full stop but everything on there seems to be some noodle with a bass in their armpit and their thumb flapping back and forth like they're having a very localised seizure...

Seriously, is there any popular, recent, fun or interesting music that uses it? I've noticed the odd bit of clonking here and there on some Bruno-Mars-esque stuff but mostly no, because we want to hear, y'know, notes, not the sound of stainless steel rattling and thwacking.

It makes me want to use a pick just to annoy them....

For me (please note: as a beginner student of slapism) I think a common starting point is:

Guitar: Tone=High / All PUs=Full

Amp: Lows=Full / Mids=Half / Highs=Full / Limiter=On a lot

Then tame it back from there as required.

Action: Low

Strings: Rounds

Playing: It's all about control (same as any style), which is all about practice.

👍

Edited by Ricky 4000

9 hours ago, operative451 said:

Slap bass. I know it comes up on occasion... But what the flip is it with youtube and instagram bassists and the slappidy bappidy clippedy boing noises?! Argh!!

You should go along to a bass bash some time and check out all the King basses 🤣

6 minutes ago, steve-bbb said:

You should go along to a bass bash some time and check out all the King basses 🤣

I've played one King bass - at a bass bash funnily enough. 

Slapping seemed the most natural way to play it, and my slapping has never sounded so good!

• Like 1

I can't slap and I regret that. I've tried but what came out had the grace of an elephant on his first day at tap dance school. Luckily I have never been in a band that asked me to. Still I wish I could. I'd like to be able to toss a few impressive licks into my bass solos. They definitely need to be rescuing by something.

There's some good slap in the world and a lot of bad slap. Only hate the bad stuff.

The techno slap, double thumb stuff is less interesting to me, but at the end of the day it's just another technique. If done well, and in the right context, then I'm all for it.

• Like 1

I don't understand all the hatred for slap bass; surely it's better to celebrate skill than it is to dismiss it as "showing off" or "fretw£qry"?

After all, if every musician stuck to doing the absolute minimum just in case someone say "look at him, he's up himself!" we all only be playing the root and occasional 5th. There'd be no Stanley Clarke, Les Claypool, Billy Sheehan, Jonas Hellborg etc. Or for that matter, no Bach, Mozart or even Mach and his Saddest Of All Keys...

• Like 1

I'm afraid to say, slapping my bass is one of my dark sordid secrets. Before I get around to slapping I make sure no one else is in the house, lock the doors, draw the curtains and get out my slap bass tutors out from under the mattress and get to work. These days it's not something I'd do in public as people would look at me with a mix of disgust and confusion. Back in the 80s -early 90s I and others were less ashamed about slapping in public and nowadays I only open up about this on fora under aliases.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I don't understand all the hatred for slap bass; surely it's better to celebrate skill than it is to dismiss it as "showing off" or "fretw£qry"?

After all, if every musician stuck to doing the absolute minimum just in case someone say "look at him, he's up himself!" we all only be playing the root and occasional 5th. There'd be no Stanley Clarke, Les Claypool, Billy Sheehan, Jonas Hellborg etc. Or for that matter, no Bach, Mozart or even Mach and his Saddest Of All Keys...

It’s not hatred. Far from it with me. I just hate it’s over use, especially when demonstaring an amp or a guitar

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ubit said:

It’s not hatred

There does appear to be a lot of our members who do seem to actively hate it...

And not just that unmusical dunkadunka thing often heard in said demos and music shops around the land, but the very idea of virtually any sort of bass virtuosity is instantly dismissed as showing off.

For these folks Jack Bruce was about as far as anybody should go, and even he played a few too many notes!

I say live and let live. If you want to slap, great.

If you just want to play the root in 16ths, great.

Just listen to, and more importantly, enjoy the music!

13 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

For me (please note: as a beginner student of slapism) I think a common starting point is:

Guitar: Tone=High / All PUs=Full

Amp: Lows=Full / Mids=Half / Highs=Full / Limiter=On a lot

Then tame it back from there as required.

Action: Low

Strings: Rounds

Playing: It's all about control (same as any style), which is all about practice.

👍

Thats not exactly what i meant, but thank you anyway... :)

I only hate the ubiquitousness (see any threads where i've let my feelings about the b***les be known...)

giphy.gif

- if i'm playing the intro to Panic Station by Muse, my thumb might make an appearance but its when i see something pop up on my instagram like:

What is the actual point? It sounds like a kid banging on a wire fence...!

2 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

It's slap; it's got more than 4 strings; and - horror of horrors (gasp!) - it's a girl. So, pretty much everything that could go wrong has gone wrong then...

...:)

Check my Avatar - i'm very pro the 'being a girl' thing.. :D

Jeez though, how many flipping strings?! :D :P

OMG its headless too isn't it?!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Is that a class D heftless amp too, and where's her waist coat? 

Don't need no heft for the sound of a staple gun. What amp is it that Mark King is using again...?

Edited by EBS_freak