Why become a member? ×

Power packs to stop me stealing my wife's batteries

probonopublico

I play guitar in a folk/baroque band that uses acoustic instruments, some really strange stuff like a 12 sting violin, a serpent and a viol da gamba.   I'm ok with the six string but I'd really, really, really like to go back to playing bass.  And we have the chance of another guitarist but in a lot of places we don't have any power around us .  So my options are:

1. Get a double bass
  2. Get a Roland cube with batteries
  3. Get a small pokey mains combo and a portable 240v power supply that could last up to an hour or two.

Option 1 I would like, it's just the space it takes up

Option 2: I'm not sure it would work acoustically

So, does anyone have any knowledge of option 3?

Help me get back from the dark side. 

img_9572.jpg

img_9545 (1).jpg

Edited by probonopublico
  • Like 1

As an owner of a Roland Micro Cube I'm not sure that you'd get the volume you need. I'm unfamiliar with how a serpent sounds but when I was a band with an accordion player and soprano sax the battery Roland didn't really cut it.

If you're anywhere near Derby you're very welcome to borrow it and have a try.

The folk/baroque scene is unknown to me, but would turning up with an electric bass guitar result in cries of 'Judas'? 😄

• Haha 2

There are a couple of threads in 'Amps and Cabs' about using small powered PA speakers with a battery and inverter. I think @mcnach had a set-up like this, you could ask him.

The Phil Jones Bass Briefcase can also be fitted with a battery, which will power it for an hour on a full charge. Or you can connect a bigger battery like a leisure battery to it. This has plenty of clout to keep up with acoustic instruments. Expensive solution though.

• Thanks 1

I have a Yamaha THR10 which works very well (depending on the volume required). I've never used it on batteries, but I lent it someone for an outside/remote acoustic thing where they used the batteries and they said it was fine. It's not going to compete with a full drum kit, but was fine with a Cajon.

• Thanks 1