Why become a member? ×

If You Had £3000 For a Bass ....

PatrickJ

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Let us know how you get on P-J. The horn body shape does look really good.

I actually left feeling very chastened about the need to make sure you know exactly what you want and are going to be getting from your custom bass.

Yes, this has been playing on my mind and I did some hard thinking over the last week or so.

What I really wanted from my next bass was to sell on my 5 string J and replace it with a 4.  So with my first custom, and with it being a present, I've decided to play safe / conservative and opt for something I know I'm going to love and grow old with rather than taking too many risks.

Therefore rather than going for the Shuker Horn I've settled on a slightly modified Custom J model which should look something like this template I knocked up (I hope).

custom_J_mock_black_1_smll.png.2b0ed7ef8c8bcfc9754db4f3a61ebfcf.png

I love the Aguilar pickup's on my 5 string and I'm playing safe with an alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard etc.

I only decision I have to make is on the top wood veneer, and I think I' probably driving Jon a bit nuts as he has so many options available I'm struggling to decide :/. 

I definitely need to open a build thread.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Yes, this has been playing on my mind and I did some hard thinking over the last week or so.

What I really wanted from my next bass was to sell on my 5 string J and replace it with a 4.  Therefore with my first custom, and with it being a present, I've decided to play safe / conservative and opt for something I know I'm going to love and grow old with rather than taking too many risks.

Therefore rather than going for the Shuker Horn I've settled on a slightly modified Custom J model which should look something like this template I knocked up (I hope).

custom_J_mock_black_1_smll.png.2b0ed7ef8c8bcfc9754db4f3a61ebfcf.png

I love the Aguilar pickup's on my 5 string and I'm playing safe with an Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard etc.

I only decision I have to make is on the top wood veneer, and I think I' probably driving Jon a bit nuts as he has so many options available I'm struggling to decide :/. 

I definitely need to open a build thread.

That looks pretty cool, but why not have the more classic headstock with the more classic design?

I had a Jazz from Jon a while back, based on his compact Jazz body and the classic headstock looked very cool with it...

pubBass_01.jpg

If you're going for a very thin veneer, Jon calls it a drop top, it won't do much to the sound so if you're stuck, start with the kind of colour you like first maybe?

Striped Ebony always looks cool 😎

Eude

• Like 1

On 21/01/2019 at 13:55, antnee said:

Obviously buy what suits your needs and tastes but if I had that money to spend on a bass, I'd buy a MusicMan StingRay Special HH in Natural Finish with a Roasted Neck of course.

I would get this in a 5 string. Also a mapleglow Rickenbacker 4003. I already have a 2017 4 string USA Ray. Of course a Dolphin Warwick or a Thumb might cost that much and be good but they are heavy.

35 minutes ago, eude said:

That looks pretty cool, but why not have the more classic headstock with the more classic design?

I had a Jazz from Jon a while back, based on his compact Jazz body and the classic headstock looked very cool with it...

pubBass_01.jpg

If you're going for a very thin veneer, Jon calls it a drop top, it won't do much to the sound so if you're stuck, start with the kind of colour you like first maybe?

Striped Ebony always looks cool 😎

Eude

Love that bass, very nice!

I did consider the traditional headstock but with the modified Custom J body, and Jon's own headstock design it feels more contemporary to me and a bit different to all the Fender and Fender clones I've had in the past whilst still being rooted in the tradition.

Jon sent me some pictures of some options for the drop top which I used with the template to do some mockup's of my design ideas..., this is my current favourite.

custom_J_mock_myrtle.thumb.png.0697708ec50f8b02240bbde24f5d662c.png

Though flamed Maple is always a classic

custom_J_mock_fl_maple.thumb.png.9f2dcc1aecd7695b14716fe8ea01138a.png

Edited by PJ-Bassist

25 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I did consider the traditional headstock but with the modified Custom J body, and Jon's own headstock design it feels more contemporary to me and a bit different to all the Fender and Fender clones I've had in the past whilst still being rooted in the tradition.

Jon sent me some pictures of some options for the drop top which I used with the template to do some mockup's of my design ideas..., this is my current favourite.

The first one is laaavly!

1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Natural or with a colour stain? 

1 hour ago, eude said:

The first one is laaavly!

Yup, that's  flamed myrtle wood.  I just want to compare it to something darker, like a figured Walnut so Jon's going to check on what he has.

Back on topic, Mr Shuker sent me a quote and it's well under the 3k mark.  In fact around the same as a Sandberg J I was looking at Bassdirect.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

The other brand that has recently caught my eye, due to the sheer 'classical' elegance of its design, is Zon Sonus. 

Never played one (although I note that the bass gallery has one in the commercial items for sale currently).

Does anyone have experience (plus or minus) with Zon basses? 

Edited by Al Krow