Why become a member? ×

If You Had £3000 For a Bass ....

PatrickJ

I wouldn't get anything custom built before trying as many other examples of the luthiers work as can.

When I first discovered bass forums on the internet Jon Shuker was very much the "in fashion" UK custom luthier, and I do have to say that the photos on his web site of the basses he had made looked very tasty indeed. I exchanged several emails with him and was pretty much ready to have him build me a fretless, when I actually got to play some his basses at one of the Manchester Bass Day events. Nice as they looked I simply couldn't get on with any of the instruments he had on display when it came to actually playing them. I saved myself from a very costly mistake.

• Like 2

There must be something you have always really fancied, try that.

I have been through a few good basses but getting a custom build done was the pinnacle for me, maybe it's the waiting for the build that makes it that much more special. I don't think I would ever want to move it on.

Edited by Highfox

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Alas, 3k wouldn't get me either of my GAS basses ('65 YOB Jazz, Wal 5-string). I'd go to Bass Direct and the Gallery and try everything I could lay my hands on.

Yes, it's a lot of money, but still puts a lot of basses out of reach!

I think if I had 3 grand hanging around that was fully disposable income that I could spend on a bass I’d buy a second hand 2012-15 US Fender Jazz, possibly a Rickenbacker and possibly a Gibson Thunderbird. I’m sure I’d have to search to get all three for three grand but I can’t think of any one bass that I’d want to spend a whole 3Gs on.

Edited by Lozz196

If I could afford a custom build for pure self-indulgence it would be a GMR Bassforce fretless 5 - I love my fretted 5 and fretless 4. It would probably cost a lot less than £3k. They deserve to cost much more than they do. 

The most I've ever spent on a bass was US$2000 for my 1966 Gibson EB-2. Worth every cent. 

But I'd agree as said above, if it was me I'd go into someplace with a good second-hand range and try everything until I picked one up and it said "I love you". That's how I chose my first bass, the GMR 5 - I went into Promenade Music in Morecambe, knowing only that I wanted a 5, with a budget of £500. Two hours and two cups of coffee later I came out with the love of my life 🙂 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think if I had 3 grand hanging around that was fully disposable income that I could spend on a bass I’d buy a second hand 2012-15 US Fender Jazz, possibly a Rickenbacker and possibly a Gibson Thunderbird. I’m sure I’d have to search to get all three for three grand but I can’t think of any one bass that I’d want to spend a whole 3Gs on.

I don't believe you @Lozz196 ...I reckon you'd end up with 3 or 4 2012-15 US Standard Fender Precisions 😀😁😂

Edited by thebassist

21 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I wouldn't get anything custom built before trying as many other examples of the luthiers work as can.

When I first discovered bass forums on the internet Jon Shuker was very much the "in fashion" UK custom luthier, and I do have to say that the photos on his web site of the basses he had made looked very tasty indeed. I exchanged several emails with him and was pretty much ready to have him build me a fretless, when I actually got to play some his basses at one of the Manchester Bass Day events. Nice as they looked I simply couldn't get on with any of the instruments he had on display when it came to actually playing them. I saved myself from a very costly mistake.

Ditto, at 2 separate Manchester events.

20 hours ago, Highfox said:

There must be something you have always really fancied, try that.

I have been through a few good basses but getting a custom build done was the pinnacle for me, maybe it's the waiting for the build that makes it that much more special. I don't think I would ever want to move it on.

I've had 3, learned something from all of them about the process, and moved them all on. ;)

On 21/01/2019 at 20:29, ped said:

Personally I wouldn’t go for a custom build unless you know exactly what you want - even then, there are so many factors that make a bass sound great I don’t know if I could say for definite what would work with what when I’m paying for it. Not easy to sell either. That’s why I’d go for something that I can try first.

I have considered a custom a few times but because of the cash outlay on one, I want to be absolutely sure I know what I'm trying to get from a personal custom I cannot get from a bass that was not custom made for me. I have a few basses that were custom made for someone else and they feel fine for me even though I had no option to try them out before I bought them and that has also influenced my decisions. But the idea having one is a good one if you get it right. 

On 23/01/2019 at 15:38, BigRedX said:

That's all really interesting.  

Initially the idea of a custom build was a bit of an after thought but it's really grown on me.

I really wanted to like AC guitars but the body shape designs didn't really do it for me. I guess I'm too conservative on that front.

The Shuker series 2 on the other hand looked more appealing, it also looked as though a custom body design might be possible. 

I've sent an email to Mr. Shuker to start discussions but I definitely want to play some Series 2 basses to get a feel before committing to an order.  Maybe he keeps some in his workshop?

Edited by PJ-Bassist

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2019 at 17:53, PJ-Bassist said:

That's all really interesting.  

Initially the idea of a custom build was a bit of an after thought but it's really grown on me.

I really wanted to like AC guitars but the body shape designs didn't really do it for me. I guess I'm too conservative on that front.

The Shuker series 2 on the other hand looked more appealing, it also looked as though a custom body design might be possible. 

I've sent an email to Mr. Shuker to start discussions but I definitely want to play some Series 2 basses to get a feel before committing to an order.  Maybe he keeps some in his workshop?

Ever since I started playing I wanted an early Warwick Thumb bass - the first proper bass I tried was a friends 5 string thumb and it is just a beautiful bass. My 30th present came a year early as bass and finances collided and I got my dream bass - a stunning 1985 Warwick thumb with a few ‘custom shop’ factory features...

it then spent 4-5 years on my wall not being played. Ergonomics were ok but the tone and how it played never was first of second choice for the things I was doing. At meet ups with other bassists the Thumb was always popular and people enjoyed playing it but I just didn’t click with it. 

I recently traded it for a bass I was expecting to like but not love that I would try for half a year or so and move on. But from first play I realised it was a special instrument for me and my technique-  I’ve tottaly clicked with it and it gets most the playing time now.

my thoughts...

Follow your GAS if you can afford, don’t hoard but try out things that you want to try out 

some things can’t be done off the shelf - if you know what you want, go custom.

some makers build on a custom basis, if you like their work find s way to try it then that’s a good idea if you know and like the builder. 

Custom instruments don’t hold their value, either be prepared for the loss in value if you end up selling it on, or really really know what you’re after.

I still think some instruments come together and seem to have some magic. Personally I would rather have a great instrument that is 90% what I want than a 100% my spec and wants that is a competent but not a great instrument - my temptation given £3k to spend would either be to try something I had Gas for (secondhand so I wouldn’t loose too much if it didn’t click) or try lots to find something that is great - someone local to me has an early stingray. On spec it’s ok, in your hands,even with corroded strings on it absolutely sings. 

• Like 3

On 22/01/2019 at 19:58, Beedster said:

Yep, if I had £3k I'd buy another Wal, superb instruments, and one of the few that a) you can't recreate more cheaply (i.e., you can build something every but as good as the best Fender from Warmoth/Allparts and aftermarket hardware, but you ain't going to get anywhere close to Wal) and b) will almost certainly have gained value should you need to sell it. 

I was thinking exactly the same thing!