Why become a member? ×

If You Had £3000 For a Bass ....

PatrickJ

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

What do you like in a bass?

What don't you like about the bass(es) you currently have?

My basses at present are all Fender style; a 5 string J and 2 x 4 string PJs, my favourite being the Sandberg VT4.

I've decided I want to move on the 5 string and stick to 4. I'd probably favour 2 * J or Soap Bar pickups, maybe a J + MM configuration.

Interested in exploring non traditional / fender shapes.  The Zon Sonus and Fodera Monarch strike me as nice looking guitars. 

I ask the question for ideas to go explore, I've not considered this price bracket previously.

Can you get a custom build?

Edited by PJ-Bassist

I think you could get your birth year bass within that price range and still have money left over to have a cool break somewhere. I went to New York for my 40th and looking back a few years later, I find that preferable to a bass I would have probably sold on at some point. 

• Like 4

TBH if I had that kind of money I'd be looking at booking my band into a decent studio with a proper producer to make a really good recording that will last for ever, rather than buying another piece of musical equipment that I might be selling a few years down the line.

• Like 4

Personally I wouldn’t go for a custom build unless you know exactly what you want - even then, there are so many factors that make a bass sound great I don’t know if I could say for definite what would work with what when I’m paying for it. Not easy to sell either. That’s why I’d go for something that I can try first.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I think you could get your birth year bass within that price range and still have money left over to have a cool break somewhere. I went to New York for my 40th and looking back a few years later, I find that preferable to a bass I would have probably sold on at some point. 

I was really lucky in that I got to do a lot of travel in 2018, including New York and Florida.  

I really don't need a new bass, and as a non professional that sort of budget would have to be for something really special that I would not consider moving on.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

TBH if I had that kind of money I'd be looking at booking my band into a decent studio with a proper producer to make a really good recording that will last for ever, rather than buying another piece of musical equipment that I might be selling a few years down the line.

I love this idea, if I was in an originals or a covers band that did unique arrangements I'd go for this.  Not something I'd consider for my dad rock pub band - perhaps for my 50th?

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

It really depends on what you like in a bass, and what you want from it. For that kind of money, you can get something built especially for you, or you can get something from one of the Custom Shops. It's your choice.

I'd say you'd need to visit numerous shops, especially shops with a good selection of basses. Try out as many as you can and choose your favourite.

• Like 1

I'd personally go for a YOB  Precision or Jazz (1965) but Im not sure if 3 grand would get me one!

At least I could sell it on without a loss if it wasn't what I was hoping for.

Just had a look, doesn't seem like 3 grand would get me anywhere near :(

I'd still go 2nd hand though, probabbly a 70's stingray! Again move it on without a loss :)

Edited by skidder652003

I'd give Rob Green of Status Graphite a call. I would love a headless lefty Chris Wolstenholme 5. The full woven graphite facings on a regular series 2 design look stunning, much better than the Stealth IMO, and I like the idea of moving the pickups slightly closer to the neck and adding a knob for boost/cut level on the EQ section.